NHL trade deadline: March 21

buddha

what would you do if youre detroit?

who would you move and who is off limits?

would you move zadina for another struggling prospect?  what would you trade leddy for?  what would you trade namestikov for?

and what would you trade bertuzzi for?

predictions?  i think they move leddy for a couple of thirds, namestikov for a third.  everyone else stays.

thoughts?

gotta keep Bertuzzi - he is a catalyst player, makes everyone he plays with better.

Probably couldn't get a bag of surplus Fox-trax pucks for Leddy - he's been terrible. Maybe if we found and burned all his film from this year......🤔

Sure, I could see Yzerman moving Zadina and Namestekov for picks he can package to move up in the next draft - but in the end pretty small potatoes. Move those two and it means we get Veleno back, which is kind of a wash, but also *maybe* Berggren, which could be fun.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think Leddy and Namestnikov get moved.

Is the team ready to give up on Zadina? If so, they might move him as you say for another struggling prospect. Sad ending for a sad pick...

If not, then it's only Namest & Leddy moving because I don't believe they'll move Bert. My guess is they're going to want to try and win in 2022-23, even possibly making the playoffs. I think that includes Bertuzzi. If they were just at the start of a rebuild you might move him now for as much as they can get. But I believe they're eying playoffs next year so no...

I could see Yzerman trading Namestnikov and promoting Berggren, but I also could see Namestnikov as someone that he might want to keep around oddly enough.  I am fine either way.  I would offer all the expiring defensemen for anything another team would be willing to give up: Leddy, DeKeyser, Stecher, or Staal.  Not that you could get much.  Greiss could be intriguing to someone if a team needs a goalie/backup for the stretch run randomly.  I don't think the Wings end up doing much unless it is a surprise like Mantha for Vrana (so I guess Bert or Zadina heading out?).

The Athletic has Leddy as the 14th best trade chip available, Namestnikov 16th.  Lists them both as High probability of being traded.

leddy may be having a bad season +/- wise, but you can still see the talent.  he moves the puck forward and still has some wheels on offense.

form is temporary, talent isnt.  leddy still has talent and would probably get you a mid round pick.  not a second, like we hoped, but maybe a third.  maybe even two thirds?

i dont think they move zadina unless its for a similarly situated struggling prospect.  maybe a blue liner they liked in the draft who isnt panning out so far?  but if that happens it will more likely happen in the offseason.

get what you can for namestikov.  i like the idea of calling up berggren, but it will likely be veleno who gets brought back up (until vrana is ready).

29 minutes ago, buddha said:

form is temporary, talent isnt.

you are quite the optimist. Form may be temporary but teams making deadline acquisitions usually want to win NOW. Add the fact that he might play better next year to $5 and you get a Vente.    

Then again, if Yzerman can spin him into something, it will just add to the legend....

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you are quite the optimist. Form may be temporary but teams making deadline acquisitions usually want to win NOW. Add the fact that he might play better next year to $5 and you get a Vente.    

Then again, if Yzerman can spin him into something, it will just add to the legend....

its not that he'll play better next year, its that his skills will play better now on a better team in a different role.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Don't be influenced by +/-.

I think teams look at Detroit as still not there yet and therefore +/- can be misleading. Not enough offense equals t omuch defensive pressure/ stress which is not necessarily the fault of the defense. And, if you can visually see that he isn't as good in the defensive zone as he should be (scouting matches the +/-), you can still limit his minutes and protect him by using him primarily on power plays, or with a defense first partner, etc... If a team is looking for an offensive defenseman and know they have to protect him somewhat... That's Leddy. And that's still worth a 3rd or so to some teams...

IMO.

Outside of the core four of Larkin, Seider, Raymond and Ned...I would listen to offers on anyone.  You would have to give me a lot to get Bert...overpaying even...but I would definitely be open to dealing him.  

What would your ask be for Bert?  If a toxic asset with health issues like Eichel can fetch a top six F, a decent prospect  and a 1st and a 2nd rd pick...I would think Bert should net something in that range

Edited by Shinzaki

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they'll take a look at him and see if it's worthwhile to try to develop him. 

He's RFA and can go to arbitration I think... 

He's shown offensive skill in the minors but not in the NHL. Is it just injuries? 

Because it sounds like there are some Mantha-issues as well, in which both Vancouver and Florida have had issues with "effort-level"? If I'm reading that correctly.

But he's a lottery ticket with a lot of talent so why not take a look-see?

As for trades: Leddy and Stecher look like there is some trade interest... If both move the team could always call up Sebrango or McIsaac to break them into the NHL. I think the team wants to hold on to Staal for locker room/ vet leadership reasons (I'm OK with that...). 

I don't think this says anything about Veleno (even being sent down) or Zadina as I just think there is still too much leash that the team is going to give to them... And I'm not yet ready to give up on them either.

Unless we can get something really good back in a big package trade.

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Because it sounds like there are some Mantha-issues as well, in which both Vancouver and Florida have had issues with "effort-level"? If I'm reading that correctly.

yeah - hard to say - ordered to do a bag skate - was he still rehabbing the knee, did he know it was likely to aggravate the knee? Coaches may be right, or they may be dickheads.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - hard to say - ordered to do a bag skate - was he still rehabbing the knee, did he know it was likely to aggravate the knee? Coaches may be right, or they may be dickheads.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and listen instead to what Stevie Y and the Detroit coaches say. That's all that matters to us anyways.

Hopefully Steve found another hidden gem given up for dead by two other teams... so... we'll see.

(I mean the Panthers are in the playoffs so they might have just run out of time/ patience through no fault of Olli just trying to get back to hockey form after an injury...). Again... we'll see. I'm good with a lottery ticket that costs us nothing.

53 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm good with a lottery ticket that costs us nothing.

right - risk free. That's the key. It's not like the Wings are going to lose some valuable asset making a roster spot for him given the composition of the current team.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

I have zero clue why they would be interested in Petry.  Old, has played pretty bad this year and I've seen some Habs fans say he's checked out.  Odd.  I'm hoping this is just speculation.

what is montreal giving us to take on petry?

24 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

It only makes sense if they are getting paid to take his salary but this article makes it sound like this is a move to win haha

that would seemingly be silly.  one would think if yzerman is involved it is to take on salary for a draft pick or two to facilitate another trade.