NHL trade deadline: March 21

buddha

i think this recent stretch of games has served as an unfortunate but necessary reminder of just how far behind this franchise was when yzerman got here and just how far behind they remain.

seider and raymond are great blocks.  larkin is really good.  bert is good player.  i think vrana is really talented.

the rest of the team is not good.  there's youth in zadina and ras and veleno, but the rest of the squad is a long long way off.

do we really spend on a #2 center and a top line defenseman this offseason?  i cant see it.  theyre still at least one more year away.

we need someone (multiple someone's) like soderblum to be our brayden point.  our guy who comes from nowhere to be a star.  we need to do something like flipping zadina into sergachev like he did with another struggling top pick in drouin.

unless we can pull those rabbits out of our hats, its going to be another year like this next year.

but i have faith in SYGM.  and i really hope to see berggren this year and edvinsson next year (and shane wright...)

Happy about the 2nd.

Sundqvist is whatever, fourth line PK guy.

Walman was once highly thought of as a prospect but has slipped down rankings every year.  Then he was relegated to sheltered / 7th d minutes.

At this point probably not much there but some guys develop late so maybe it can be a little something.

4 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Namestnikov to the Stars for a 4th rd pick per ESPN

That should cap it off. 

It's about everything we had to trade of value.

I like even getting just an extra 4th rounder simply because it allows some maneuverability in the draft to trade a couple picks to move up and get a player we really want... if the need/ opportunity arises. That's probably Namest's trade value, a 4th rounder. But the draft flexibility is the most important issue to me at this point...

and look, you guys said leddy had no value!  

that said, getting a second and parts for leddy is a good deal.  i would have thought a couple thirds would be the most we get.

and the players we got are just meh, but they'll probably slot in as the second or third best defensemen on the team.  sigh.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

... send out a forward and a defenseman and bring back two defensemen.  no room at the inn for berggren?

Sundqvist is a Forward.

Final tally is send out two D (Stecher, Leddy) a Forward (Namest), and a combo AHL'er (Witkowski) for a forward (Sundqvist) and a blueliner (Walman).

I see lines as:

Larkin-Bertuzzi-Raymond

Veleno-Vrana-Zadina

Suter-Hirose-Sundqvist

Rasmussen & flip two coins between Erne, Gagner, Givani & Rowney. At some point, something has to stick here.

There's nothing in that 3rd line that says we shouldn't bring up Berggren. In fact, you could drop Veleno and Zadina to the 3rd line, bring up Berggren and put him on the 2nd, and push Sundqvist up to the 2nd and that's probably a better 2nd line. Drop Hirose back to Grand Rapids. 

Blueliners:

Walman-Seider

Juolevi-Hronek

Staal-Lindstrom

... those are some ugly pairings as well... It's not Seider's fault, obviously. But I don't see anything stopping the team from bringing up Sebrango or McIsaac for some run to see what they have with those two either.