3/22 @ 1:05 Tigers @ Phillies

Tigeraholic1

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'd be surprised if Pineda wasn't the fifth starter whenever he's ready.

Between Alexander and how the youngsters have looked, the Tigers appear to be in much better shape going into 2022 than they were last year starter depth-wise. You need 2-3 extra guys beyond #5 in this day and age, and they have them in a way they didn't last year.

Depth is very big in all of this. There will need the 2-3 guys (SP) and maybe plus as the season goes on (as will most other clubs). Yet, by having some depth out of the start to start, they are ahead (at least for now). I still will not be surprised to see them add another SP/long relief type on a minors contract.

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The problem is keeping them stretched out. A 4 or 5 outing once every 10 days or so might not be enough. Keep Peralta in Toledo, starting and call on him first, when needed. Even though I think this was already the plan.

Yes, that's the issue with assuming Alexander as the 6th SP.  If he makes the big league, which he probably should, that timing of needing a spot start might not coincide with him being available.  If he pitched a few innings yesterday and they find out today that tomorrow's starter can't go, then what?  Bullpen game?  Drag tomorrow's Toledo SP up for a spot start?  I guess these kinds of situations just get dealt with on the fly.

Now, if a SP goes down for an extended period of time, I think they can build Alexander up to a SP stamina.  Or maybe they have somebody like Faedo/Wentz just proving themselves in Toledo at that point, and its an easy roster exchange.

Either way, they're going to need probably around a dozen starts from Ps outside of whomever the 5 in the rotation are when they break camp.

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, that's the issue with assuming Alexander as the 6th SP.  If he makes the big league, which he probably should, that timing of needing a spot start might not coincide with him being available.  If he pitched a few innings yesterday and they find out today that tomorrow's starter can't go, then what?  Bullpen game?  Drag tomorrow's Toledo SP up for a spot start?  I guess these kinds of situations just get dealt with on the fly.

Now, if a SP goes down for an extended period of time, I think they can build Alexander up to a SP stamina.  Or maybe they have somebody like Faedo/Wentz just proving themselves in Toledo at that point, and its an easy roster exchange.

Either way, they're going to need probably around a dozen starts from Ps outside of whomever the 5 in the rotation are when they break camp.

Also, Alexander may need to start if one of our pitchers is ineffective. Alexander's numbers were better as a SP and I was hoping he would have a chance to start. I'm sure he'll get a handful of starts this season.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Right. I'm sure Tyler would rather work in relief in Detroit than be sent to Toledo to maintain readiness to start. So it depends on the circumstance. If a starter comes up with a blister, they are going to call someone up from the Toledo staff  - or maybe do a bullpen day. If they lose someone long term, then Alexander would likely start working  his way into the rotation --  unless someone in Toledo was looking a lot like a major leaguer.

At the start of the season I'm pretty certain they could schedule a tandem start.

Either Manning or Peralta scheduled to go 5 innings, with the plan that Alexander comes in and finishes the game... 4 innings or otherwise.

It would keep him stretched out at the beginning of the season, give the BP a "rest" day, and within the first month, that would allow the team to figure out any adjustments needed. Which may or may not include pushing Ty into the BP as a long reliever, or slotting him in the 5th spot (if Manning or Peralta falter...), etc...

Isn't there a boatload of double-headers scheduled this season? He may even be needed as a scheduled 6th starter.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Hmmm... I thought there was more than that due to trying to compress the season. And not till mid-May means moot point anyways.

But yeah... I'll stick with the tandem/ split starts idea for now...

right - I had heard the number 9 bandied about. Maybe the Tigers had enough workable off days they ended up with less and some other teams had more?

I think the Tigers are an average to slightly above average team if Mize, Skubal and Manning have quality years. Otherwise, with a more median outcome, they could finish with around the 10th worst record again. I think catcher is a weak spot, the bullpen is potentially as well, and Cabrera is a huge anchor on the lineup that is hard to overcome on a team without the resources of the Dodgers, Yankees, etc. to hide his $30 million contract.

If you look at the Zips 2024 projections, the Tigers would be projected to make the playoffs that year (granted, that is a crazy long way away). The additional playoff team helps too. Plus, Cabrera will be gone that year and they'll be able to gain 3 or 4 wins or so just by replacing him in the lineup with a good bat in FA. So, that's kind of my timeline. 2024-2026 should be really fun barring injuries and poor player development wrecking everything.