3/22 @ 1:05 Tigers @ Phillies

Tigeraholic1

30 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Spring training means pratically nothing, but I think the Tigers have a chance to compete for the division title as their upside.  At lot of things have to go right, but this is the first year in a long time there has been any hope.  

There definitely is hope, and I think if the stars align right they could make a run at the playoffs as a wild card. 

But still of the view that the division is the White Sox' to lose at this point

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ruben Amaro Jr. has an all time name pun by Phillies fan,  they all called him "Ruin Tomorrow Jr" thanks to his horrible contract extensions and tendency to trade prospects. So classic!

That's not a pun

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Spring training means pratically nothing, but I think the Tigers have a chance to compete for the division title as their upside.  At lot of things have to go right, but this is the first year in a long time there has been any hope.  

Yeah, obviously there are a ton of variables....everybody agrees that Mize/Skubal/Manning are the big X factors in the rotation, and Tork/Greene/Baddoo are the big Xs on offense.

The veterans hopefully provide their predicted value/performance (Barnhardt, Miggy, Schoop, Baez, Candy, Grossman, ERod, Pineda, Chafin, Soto, Fulmer, Cisnero).

Beyond the above groups, Eric Haase is best positioned to outperform expectations; he will be the unchallenged main C backup to CB, and will continue to get semi-regular time elsewhere.  Given his fall-back projection for 2022, if he can hit like he did in 2021, he would have a good shot at 350 PAs, and could add 10-20 RCs vs. his 2022 projection.

There are a bunch of guys waiting in the wings:

- Reyes and Castro will probably get the biggest opportunities to play and both had pretty good 150+ PA stretches in 2021

- Paredes, Kriedler, and Clemens have the most upside.  Paredes elevated the ball (18 LA) in his short 2021 stint, which is hopeful.  Kriedler mashed 22 HRs, which is nice, and Clemens has a power-stroke but has not impressed yet.

- Daz and Hill have gloves and speed and might turn into decent 4th OFers but I wouldn't bet on it at this point.   

Of the above guys, Paredes continuing to elevate the ball more and hitting for on-base + power seems like the most likely place for some unexpected pop. 

Yeah that's not the competition at all.

It's E-Rod-Mize-Skubal-Manning locked into the rotation, save injury.

The Tigers will decide who is their 5th starter: Pineda or Alexander. Probably Pineda and Alexander is the swing guy in the BP and 6th starter... But I wouldn't bet money on that either...

I'd be surprised if Pineda wasn't the fifth starter whenever he's ready.

Between Alexander and how the youngsters have looked, the Tigers appear to be in much better shape going into 2022 than they were last year starter depth-wise. You need 2-3 extra guys beyond #5 in this day and age, and they have them in a way they didn't last year.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'd be surprised if Pineda wasn't the fifth starter whenever he's ready.

Between Alexander and how the youngsters have looked, the Tigers appear to be in much better shape going into 2022 than they were last year starter depth-wise. You need 2-3 extra guys beyond #5 in this day and age, and they have them in a way they didn't last year.

The problem is keeping them stretched out. A 4 or 5 outing once every 10 days or so might not be enough. Keep Peralta in Toledo, starting and call on him first, when needed. Even though I think this was already the plan.