Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Still waiting.

My understanding is that newspapers and outlets have pretty broad latitude to publish or broadcast news as they see fit.

pro tip:

They do

libel and slander laws are heavily in their favor.  The only thing I can think of is over the air networks can't say certain words or show certain things but on CNN/Fox, that's self regulated by the industry, not the government.  CNN can show some tits and say Fuck and the gubmint can't do a damn thing about it.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Even as a percent of users who do use the platform for news or news headlines, Facebook is the equivalent (52/71 = 74%) of Twitter (16/23 = 73%), plus FB has the raw numbers.

Of course, we can also debate just how much content of each platform actually constitutes “news” …

The platforms for the most part really aren't "news" imo... they are basically tools for big content generators (ie. In the news space, local and national news outlets, journalists, etc.) to more broadly disseminate their message, and for non-content generators, they are a big news aggregator. Not unlike Facebook or Reddit or other sites, just in a different format.

The question then becomes, should these platforms have any discretion in what is disseminated on their platform. Seems like the answer should be yes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

pro tip:

They do

libel and slander laws are heavily in their favor.  The only thing I can think of is over the air networks can't say certain words or show certain things but on CNN/Fox, that's self regulated by the industry, not the government.  CNN can show some tits and say Fuck and the gubmint can't do a damn thing about it.

I know there is regulation on swearing and nudity (old enough to remember the Janet Jackson boob-gate Super Bowl lol), but in terms of information or balance or anything like that, they have all the latitude.

That's sort of why pointing to the Times and Post to suggest that Twitter be regulated doesn't make sense to me. If Marjorie Taylor Greene submits an op-ed to the Washington Post discussing the Jewish space lasers' role in the 2020 election, they are under no obligation to publish it. If the Times decides they don't want to publish Ross Douthat anymore, they are under no obligation to keep him employed (contractual obligations notwithstanding).

To that end, why should Twitter be obligated to allow Nick Fuentes or Baked Alaska or even Donald Trump onto the platform, particularly as each were repeatedly in violation of the platforms TOS?

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I know there is regulation on swearing and nudity (old enough to remember the Janet Jackson boob-gate Super Bowl lol), but in terms of information or balance or anything like that, they have all the latitude.

That's sort of why pointing to the Times and Post to suggest that Twitter be regulated doesn't make sense to me. If Marjorie Taylor Greene submits an op-ed to the Washington Post discussing the Jewish space lasers' role in the 2020 election, they are under no obligation to publish it. If the Times decides they don't want to publish Ross Douthat anymore, they are under no obligation to keep him employed (contractual obligations notwithstanding).

To that end, why should Twitter be obligated to allow Nick Fuentes or Baked Alaska or even Donald Trump onto the platform, particularly as each were repeatedly in violation of the platforms TOS?

I don't how drastically things have changed in recent years. But entities like Fox and CNN are basically cable as opposed to stations that air programs from say CBS, NBC, Fox (local stations, the Simpson, NFL games) over the air. FCC regs at one time regulated what they considered "offensive" content like nudity and profane language. Cable isn't covered legally if I remember correctly. 

Going back to the dark ages, Morning Zoos walked a finer line than say shows on satellite stations like XM and Sirius.

51 minutes ago, pfife said:

It is incredible that the Republicans used the FBI to censor twitter and are now having hearings about how the Republicans used the FBI to censor twitter

They also seem very interested in a laptop that has been through the forensic equivalent of every whorehouse from Cairo to Cancun and not in the President fighting to keep classified documents while not in office.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, Tiger337 said:

I didn't see a big problem with Twitter pre  Musk and I don't see one now.  Twitter has never come close to the problem that Fox News and many news sites are.  It only became a problem because they banned king Donald and now it must be destroyed. 

I maintain three Twitter accounts: one for SABR baseball stuff, one to follow news, and one to follow entertainment and media and pop culture stuff. I like to keep the three silos of information separated and distinct.

All three of them had Musk’s tweet about people believing the press in the For You. I had never interacted with him, his tweets, or anyone who ever retweeted him, not even once, not even the news account. Yet the tweet just showed up.

That’s a little bit of a problem, I think. 

• Thanks 1