4/19 - 7PM - Red Wings at Lightning

1984Echoes

I have to wonder just a bit how much different the Wings and Canucks would be if it had been the Wings firing their coach and hiring Bruce Boudreau earlier this year. Sure, talent is talent, and the Wings don't have enough. But the Wings were ahead of the 8-15-2 Canucks when Vancouver made the change on December 5. Now the Canucks are 18 points ahead of the Wings. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

There's been quite a few of those the past 6 weeks...

And that was with a semi-capable first line center playing all situations (I say semi-capable because the injury was sapping his play).  Truly impressive how much of a downgrade this is on an already putrid team.  First line center Pius Suter is something I'll tell my grandkids about.

How do we build a second line around Vrana?

Is it Suter-Zadina?

Can Berggren-Soderblom make the team next year? Are those the guys that team up with Vrana to create an effective 2nd line. What other/ better options are there...? I'm going to assume that going after FA's is too expensive an option at this stage... but maybe the time s right? Or a trade or two?

18 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

How do we build a second line around Vrana?

Is it Suter-Zadina?

Can Berggren-Soderblom make the team next year? Are those the guys that team up with Vrana to create an effective 2nd line. What other/ better options are there...? I'm going to assume that going after FA's is too expensive an option at this stage... but maybe the time s right? Or a trade or two?

they either need to put vrana with larkin or obtain a true #1A/#2 center.  suter is - at best - a #3.  and vrana and zadina dont work because zadina is a smaller, inferior version of vrana.  nobody on that line gets pucks in corners.

maybe they hope ras grows into a center role? a big guy who can get the puck and give it to vrana? but he's too slow, imo.

hertl would have been good but he's gone.  not sure anyone else out there is worth signing for the wings unless they think getting rid of blashill will make a big difference.  trocheck?  strome?  can forsberg play center?

i still have serious doubts about berggren.  any holland draftees are sus.  soft "playmaking" winger who cant score and gets physically bullied off the puck.  worst case scenario is usually what happens to holland picks these days.

soderblom probably plays in grand rapids next year.  i hope edvinsson can shine in TC like raymond and make the team straight outta sweden.  i mean, i hope soderblom does too, but he probably needs a year in GR.

wallinder's progress is exciting.  maybe he comes over to GR next year too?

theyre really one more off season away from being able to splurge.  but i kinda want them to get a #2 center this year in order to not waste vrana like they did this year.  his shot is so good.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

they either need to put vrana with larkin or obtain a true #1A/#2 center.  suter is - at best - a #3.  and vrana and zadina dont work because zadina is a smaller, inferior version of vrana.  nobody on that line gets pucks in corners.

maybe they hope ras grows into a center role? a big guy who can get the puck and give it to vrana? but he's too slow, imo.

hertl would have been good but he's gone.  not sure anyone else out there is worth signing for the wings unless they think getting rid of blashill will make a big difference.  trocheck?  strome?  can forsberg play center?

I think they could be a lower tier playoff team with only one top line, IF they at least had better fore-checkers to keep the other team off the board on the other lines. But that is several players either way. No matter how you look at it, the front side is going to remain a problem even if in a perfect scenario Edvinnson, Walinder and even McIssaac are all able to come in shore up the D significantly next season.

Edited by gehringer_2

Rasmussen has come on a bit...but I think he's better on the wing.  Suter and Veleno are bottom six C's at best.  I don't think either of them is capable of generating enough offense to be a #1/2 C.

Maybe be luck out and land at one or two in the draft for a Shane Wright or a Logan Cooley.  Maybe we stay where we are and draft the smallish Frank Nazar who appears to have the offensive upside of a top #1/2 C.

Maybe...in a couple of years, Lucas Raymond takes his superior vision and playmaking and slides over to C

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

i still have serious doubts about berggren.  any holland draftees are sus.  soft "playmaking" winger who cant score and gets physically bullied off the puck.

Not sure if I can state this so it makes sense but it seems like the problem with Holland's picks is that when they don't turn out to be great scorers, they can't at least do something else - forecheck, facilitate, etc. It seems to me the key to a good hockey team is for the guys that are not stars to at least have some strong part to their game. Draper being sort of the poster child for what I mean. Holland just drafted guys that were 2nd tier across the board - and they are useless. You need everyone to be above average at something on the ice.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I think they could be a lower tier playoff team with only one top line, IF they at least had better fore-checkers to keep the other team off the board on the other lines. But that is several players either way. No matter how you look at it, the front side is going to remain a problem even if Edvinnson, Walinder and even McIssaac are all able to come in shore up the D significantly next season.

what is their defense next year?

seider, walman, and hronek seem like the only guys really sure to be back.  maybe lindstrom as a bottom pairing cheap player.

then what?  do they really run with edvinsson, wallinder, and mcissac?  i doubt it.  they probably bring back staal.  do they go nuts for klingborg or lindholm?

at forward where are they?

larkin, bert, raymond, ras, fabbri, vrana.  all back for sure unless bert gets dealt.

then what?  no one else is especially valuable and can be easily replaced.  veleno and zadina still have some projectability.  it would be hard to trade them because youre not likely to get good value since theyve played so poorly so far.  you probably roll with them next year and hope they progress like ras has progressed the last month.

7 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Rasmussen has come on a bit...but I think he's better on the wing.  Suter and Veleno are bottom six C's at best.  I don't think either of them is capable of generating enough offense to be a #1/2 C.

Maybe be luck out and land at one or two in the draft for a Shane Wright or a Logan Cooley.  Maybe we stay where we are and draft the smallish Frank Nazar who appears to have the offensive upside of a top #1/2 C.

Maybe...in a couple of years, Lucas Raymond takes his superior vision and playmaking and slides over to C

get a true #2 center and pair them with ras and vrana.  hope that ras gets better this offseason with his physicality and balance (he's progressed a lot in the last month).  having a big physical dude screening the goalie for vrana would be nice.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Lord I hope Hronek is not back next year. At least not unless they find out that he's been hurt and fix something. He's the guy I would have guessed has the sports hernia.

i dont like him either but he's cheap and has little to no trade value.  maybe kenny wants him in edmonton?

A bit surprised Berggren is being written off after his strong first season in AHL so far, it isn't easy to go to a new country and a new ice size.  Most points on the team (third in points per game it looks like but a "soft"/smaller winger playing more games is a good thing to me), second most goals with 19.  When the Griffins really needed wins recently he stepped up (9 pts in 5 games last week).  Had a decent release on a goal last night:

Sure a ton of guys top out at solid AHLers but I think we'll learn a lot this next training camp.  Hopefully he has a huge offseason training.