Trading Dylan Larkin? Is it insane? Or..........

3 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

IDK, what do you get back? Does Yzerman think there is more rebuilding to do and he wants more picks? Not sure you want to make an offense for defense trade when the team is already offensively challenged and there are promising Dmen already in the pipeline. Forward for forward - what's the point? I suppose you can get younger and cheaper, but I don't think the Wings feel particular pressure to save $$$ instead of signing Larkin to his next deal.

• 3 months later...

Welp.  If there is any truth to this then it has to be coming from Dylan's agent.  I am not too shocked.  Reading between the lines in his comments and general demeanor I feel like Larkin is asking the Wings for way more than he is worth.  I can't fault him for wanting to get paid (especially after having some tough years in Detroit) but it is going to have to be from some other crappy team overpaying him I imagine.   Should be interesting to see how this plays out approaching the trade deadline...

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

I feel like Larkin is asking the Wings for way more than he is worth. 

Could be, but I tend to suspect the opposite. I think if you put Larkin between two other players of anywhere near the same talent level he'd be a perenial league point leader. He is a phenomenal set-up man who has waited his whole career in futility for players good enough to do something with his passes.

He elevates every player they put on his line, who when they are rotated off it return to being marginally productive players.

Edited by gehringer_2

Eh he's a solid player and I don't think your estimation that he makes the Wings players better is wrong (makes sense, he is going to help the less talented roster of Detroit) but I personally am not looking to pay him like a Brayden Point or Matthew Barzal.  I think it is quite a leap to say that he'd be a perennial point leader when his highest point total in his career is 73 points.  Over the last 5 seasons he's 48th in total points, so he would have to make quite the jump based on these theoretical new linemates.  I guess it isn't impossible, but that's a lot of faith to put into the hypothetical if you're giving him $10 million plus a season.

I'd be willing to go around $9 million since the cap is supposed to go up a little bit, so ballpark of those two guys above, but anything more is going to really handicap the team imo.  Can't pay him like a top center because he just isn't a top center in the league in my mind.  I think he's right on the fringe of a middle of the road/lower end 1C.  Maybe Yzerman is completely low-balling him but just based off of Dylan's own comments in the past I would be shocked if he wanted to be highly compensated for his lackluster time in Detroit.  Yzerman has been able to get deals done with pretty much every other one of the free agents he wanted, so I dunno.  Obviously this is all just speculation and my opinion. 

31 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Yzerman has been able to get deals done with pretty much every other one of the free agents he wanted, so I dunno.  Obviously this is all just speculation and my opinion. 

and all we have is agent speak to this point - so tons of rock salt in order.

I have a really hard time seeing them let Larkin walk - esp after SY had him apprentice to and then appointed him captain. OTOH, I can see Larkin feeling the Wings 'owe' him for being underpaid for previous services rendered. If there was ever a player in Det who I would not begrudge a 10-20% overpay it would be Larkin - esp since it has gotten so hard to sign or trade for top tier players in the NHL.

So let's say negotiations are actually at an impasse and SY decides he will move on and that he can get an impact trade done... what does that actually mean?

1) First, what does trading Larkin get us back? At the deadline? What was a previous similar trade and return? Returns are probably better in the offseason but again... impasse leads to a deadline trade.

2) Second, the rebuild takes us a step back, obviously. Now we have no #1 and also no apparent reliable #2 center, so we are down two centers and missing our #1, not just a second line center. What does our pipeline look like? What do we get in return for Larkin (if that includes a key centerman prospect or not)? How many years backward are we set? Is Kasper good enough to take over as a new #1 in the next couple of years?

3) Who is our new corps based on a revised timeline? It's definitely Seider, Raymond, Berggren, Edvinsson, Kasper, and Rasmussen, plus other prospects in the pipeline, all very young. But what does that mean for fringier guys like Veleno, Hronek, etc.? Do they become trade fodder based on a new timeline? Is Rasmussen included as trade fodder, or has he shown enough to be a part of the new corps?

1) larkin gets you a a first and two solid prospects, one of whom might even become larkin in 3 years.

2) our pipeline at center is kasper and that's it.

3) our "core" is seider, raymond, and hope.  mazur is looking more and more like a steal.  kasper may turn out but you wont know for at least two years.  wallinder looks good too 

they have prospects, but they dont "appear" to have a top talent 1A player in the system now that seider is on the big club.  i dont consider raymond to be a 1A player, but he might grow into one.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

larkin gets you a a first and two solid prospects, one of whom might even become larkin in 3 years.

Like Lafreniere?

Bird in hand and all that.......

But seriously, if he's a UFA, trading him now is basically like a baseball rental isn't it? You still think it's possible to get all that much?

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Like Lafreniere?

Bird in hand and all that.......

But seriously, if he's a UFA, trading him now is basically like a baseball rental isn't it? You still think it's possible to get all that much?

yes.  he has a no trade clause, he isnt going to ok a trade to someplace that isnt going to sign him to an extension.

just like horvat.  btw, the wings are rumored to be one of the clubs in on trading for horvat...

ben freakin chairot got an unprotected first round pick last year, larkin would get AT LEAST that much or they wouldnt even deal him.

btw, i dont think he gets dealt.  i think they get a deal done in the offseason.  

i dont think bert gets traded either because he's injured.  its too bad but them's the breaks.  you rolled the dice and lost.  i dont think bert comes back next year either.  let someone else deal with the injuries and the reckless play.

• 4 weeks later...

Little more fuel for the fire....

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/02/01/report-bruins-will-pursue-dylan-larkin-trade-if-hes-on-the-market/

https://octopusthrower.com/2023/02/06/red-wings-return-dylan-larkin-boston-bruins/

Excuse my ignorance when it comes to Hockey. Hypothetically (extremely doubtful this would happen), but has it ever happened that a GM traded a stud player like this, got the trade capital, then literally re-signed the player in the offseason when they were a Free Agent? Seems like Yzerman could butter him up and do something like this as it benefits both parties involved. Larkin can go to a winner, then when he comes back his team will be A LOT better quicker if this is where he really wants to be. I am a baseball nut and cannot think of an example where this scenario played out but I don't know about hockey at all so I was just wondering if anyone ever heard of a thing....

P.S. - For what I've seen, it looks like Larkin wants to be paid as a 1st line center but he's actually a 2nd line center. Why not just trade him? They should have more than enough in the trade capital to go get a true stud... 

Prior to the 1978 season the Tigers traded Ben Oglivie to the Brewers for pitcher Jim Slaton.  Slaton won 17 for the Tigers and then signed for the 1979 season and beyond with Milwaukee

I think he's a 1C when he has wings that are 1st line quality playing with him.  The only way I trade him is if I'm getting a crack at a top 2 or 3 pick this year and more.  

Edited by Shinzaki

48 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Prior to the 1978 season the Tigers traded Ben Oglivie to the Brewers for pitcher Jim Slaton.  Slaton won 17 for the Tigers and then signed for the 1979 season and beyond with Milwaukee

I think he's a 1C when he has wings that are 1st line quality playing with him.  The only way I trade him is if I'm getting a crack at a top 2 or 3 pick this year and more.  

Larkin isn't the great physical talent a McDavid is on the ice, but he is a great passer and superlative shooter who can put the puck past a goalie much better than most and he elevates the play of his teammates. I don't know where that puts him in any kind of ranking, but he's a hockey player you want on a winning team and if they let him go for a difference of 1M/yr they are idiots. And so far I have no reason to believe SY is an idiot. But he is a hard nose competitive guy himself so I'm also not surprised he's OK letting negotiations drag to put the max pressure on Larkin's side he can.

Edited by gehringer_2