Trading Dylan Larkin? Is it insane? Or..........

Question. I will be the first to admit, I know jack squat about the Red Wings in general. So bear with me.

As I'm reading up on them though, it looks like the Red Wings are still 2-3 years away from being really in contention of playoffs. Would trading Larkin now before his big contract for a top 5 prospect and lets say 2 first rounders be worth it for the Red Wings (a lot of people were shocked when Mantha was traded, so there is a precedent of Yzerman trading good players in their prime [albeit not one as glorified as Larkin])? Is there a team that would do that that you could think of? What would Larkin's value be? (Here's a link to some of the top prospects I was just looking at). I'm just thinking if they cash in now and get a decent player on a rookie contract plus some extra high end draft capital, wouldn't that be worth it?  Or is it just better to sit tight with him and play it out paying him big money? Would they wait and talk to a new coach before making a decision on this?

Just curious on thoughts. Thanks.

I get the thought process, but unless they can get a relative can't miss generational talent like Connor Bedard, they need to keep Dylan and add around him.  Not unlike what they did with Yzerman.  Stevie didn't win his first Cup until he was 32 and they had added pieces around him like Fedorov, Larionov and Shanahan.  Dylan is 25 and is a 30 goal scorer.  I feel like Yzerman is on the right track with the guys we have in the pipeline and will add pieces and a coach who can maximize their talents.

His contract is up after next season.  Regardless of anything else, they will either extend him this off-season, trade him this off-season, or trade him at the deadline when he has the most value.   I don’t see them waiting until he expires next year to figure it out  

Some of the decision will be on Dylan.  He’s from here and is living his dream playing for the Wings but he’s played 5 playoff games in 7 seasons.   His numbers are far less than what they would be on a stronger team.  He may want to go somewhere else to continue his career.  I have no idea.   If he wants to they will accommodate.   

I’d assume the Wings want to keep him and build around him.   I don’t see why they would think otherwise.  Stevie has all the time in the world.  He’s under no pressure from management. It’s just his own as to how fast this thing gets turned around.  

Edited by Hongbit

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

His numbers are far less than what they would be on a stronger team.

Right - and this is the thing with Larkin - he can be a tremendous facilitator, he will catalyze the play of better players next to him if they can ever finally find some. (His PP chemistry with Seider is already fun to watch) For that reason you probably can't get what he should be worth to them in  trade. No-one is sacred if enough is offered but I doubt Dylan would draw that kind of offer right now - esp after two season's with injuries.

If you can get a strong trade package for him I would do it.  I am not sure the Wings will be competing in his "prime" and as he loses his speed with age I'm not sure how effective he'll be making top money.

I don't talk about this much because I don't think it is a popular take but I also have questions on whether or not he's that great of a leader/captain for the Wings.  He seems to do a great job of getting guys together outside of the rink and welcoming people to the team, but on the ice he seems to lose his temper very easily and I am not sure how much blame he should get vs say Blashill for the team looking unprepared and disinterested for stretches across his time with the C.  He does a great job of looking annoyed postgame and talking about how they didn't play hard enough but I'd love to see him actually motivate the guys to do so (if even possible).  It isn't a huge concern for me by any stretch but also probably a big part of why I would be fine trading him away.

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

If you can get a strong trade package for him I would do it.  I am not sure the Wings will be competing in his "prime" and as he loses his speed with age I'm not sure how effective he'll be making top money.

I don't talk about this much because I don't think it is a popular take but I also have questions on whether or not he's that great of a leader/captain for the Wings.  He seems to do a great job of getting guys together outside of the rink and welcoming people to the team, but on the ice he seems to lose his temper very easily and I am not sure how much blame he should get vs say Blashill for the team looking unprepared and disinterested for stretches across his time with the C.  He does a great job of looking annoyed postgame and talking about how they didn't play hard enough but I'd love to see him actually motivate the guys to do so (if even possible).  It isn't a huge concern for me by any stretch but also probably a big part of why I would be fine trading him away.

Do you think they could get a top 5 or top 10 prospect plus two first rounders for him? Or is that too steep a price? I legit don't know how good he really is considering all the other players in the NHL. I just know he's our golden boy.....

Anyone for the right price.  But I would want players back for Larkin, not picks. We'll end up in an endless cycle of always being near the bottom. We've already missed the playoffs 6 straight seasons. NHL record is 11 seasons.  

Edited by lordstanley

if youre trading larkin you shoukd get more than what the sabres got for eichel.  eichel was damaged goods and they had to deal him.

i wouldnt trade larkin unless you got a godfather package from somebody like the kinga who have high level talent to spare and may be looking to speed up their timeline.

On 5/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Do you think they could get a top 5 or top 10 prospect plus two first rounders for him? Or is that too steep a price? I legit don't know how good he really is considering all the other players in the NHL. I just know he's our golden boy.....

I think Buddha has it right with an Eichel package and more.   Top prospect (Krebs), younger established player (Tuch), first round pick, and a second round pick for Eichel and a third.  I'm not sure teams would pay that sort of price but who knows since it is hard to find centers.  I wouldn't expect Larkin to be traded ever though.

• 2 months later...

Whose even a team out there that has the goods, ie the young prospects at positions of need for our team, and would want Larkin? Does getting a guy like Hendrix Lapierre as the anchor of a trade package plus additional prospects and picks from Washington move the needle? Could you you pry Marco Rossi from Minnesota with a Larkin for Rossi and a few picks/prospects swap? I would imagine trading for a talent like Rossi, you would be getting significantly lower tier prospects and picks that are 2nd round or later in that type of deal.

50 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whose even a team out there that has the goods, ie the young prospects at positions of need for our team, and would want Larkin? Does getting a guy like Hendrix Lapierre as the anchor of a trade package plus additional prospects and picks from Washington move the needle? Could you you pry Marco Rossi from Minnesota with a Larkin for Rossi and a few picks/prospects swap? I would imagine trading for a talent like Rossi, you would be getting significantly lower tier prospects and picks that are 2nd round or later in that type of deal.

rossi would be the starting point for the conversation that would involve multiple prospects and at least their first round pick next year.

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

rossi would be the starting point for the conversation that would involve multiple prospects and at least their first round pick next year.

I am not terribly familiar with the Wild farm system, but going off rankings and scouting reports I read through at lunch, it looks like Left Winger Matthew Boldy is their next best prospect in the Top 100 list of NHL prospects. Larkin for Rossi, Boldy, and a 2nd Rd pick maybe? That nets you potentially 2 top 25 NHL prospects and 1 who is a top Center prospect.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I am not terribly familiar with the Wild farm system, but going off rankings and scouting reports I read through at lunch, it looks like Left Winger Matthew Boldy is their next best prospect in the Top 100 list of NHL prospects. Larkin for Rossi, Boldy, and a 2nd Rd pick maybe? That nets you potentially 2 top 25 NHL prospects and 1 who is a top Center prospect.

we all know how hard it is to find a quality nhl center.  those guys dont get traded often for a reason: its a hard position to fill.

larkin isnt jack eichel, but he's still very good and a borderline all star AND he's a captain.  if he's going to get traded its for an eichel-like haul.

honestly, its why i wouldnt trade him.  unless his contract demand is Taveras-like and/or stevie really thinks the team will have no shot until larkin is 35.

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don’t see any way they give that much up for Larkin.   Not a chance.   I’m not even sure they’d include even one of Rossi or Boldy.   Those are their building blocks.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

we all know how hard it is to find a quality nhl center.  those guys dont get traded often for a reason: its a hard position to fill.

larkin isnt jack eichel, but he's still very good and a borderline all star AND he's a captain.  if he's going to get traded its for an eichel-like haul.

honestly, its why i wouldnt trade him.  unless his contract demand is Taveras-like and/or stevie really thinks the team will have no shot until larkin is 35.

I don’t think so.   Eichel has scored 50 goals in a season.   Larkin is probably capable in the right surroundings but hasn’t come close.  Jack produced much more than Larkin and is viewed by the league on a whole different level than Dylan. 

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think so.   Eichel has produced more than Larkin.  He’s probably capable in the right surroundings but hasn’t come close.  Jack produced much more than Larkin and is viewed by the league on a whole different level than Dylan. 

Got my stats wrong.  I biffed that one. Still think Eichel is a bigger talent

Edited by Hongbit

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think so.   Eichel has scored 50 goals in a season.   Larkin is probably capable in the right surroundings but hasn’t come close.  Jack produced much more than Larkin and is viewed by the league on a whole different level than Dylan. 

then i dont trade him.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

then i dont trade him.

And we are back where we started.   What does Dylan want?  We have no idea.   

Does he want to go somewhere else and get playoff experience and most likely fill up the stat sheet playing with better players.  Does he want to stay here and be part of the turnaround.   Only he knows.    

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t see any way they give that much up for Larkin.   Not a chance.   I’m not even sure they’d include even one of Rossi or Boldy.   Those are their building blocks.

I'd want a Rossi-level Centre prospect if we are going to trade Larkin. So if I can't get a prospect at that level, I'm probably keeping Larkin.

Eichel did not score 50 in a season...his high is 36. Larkin's is 32... Eichel has more consistency in his favor...and he's scored more PPG.  But Larkin is viewed as being better defensively and he's not a "locker room cancer".

They both have had neck issues

I would expect a healthy return for Larkin and/or Bert...but...I'm not sure I'd want to bank on either one as a cornerstone of a rebuild.