Tiger's color commentators

BBFCFM

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

A lot of teams are now going with rotations of analysts... In the Tigers' case it makes sense.

Gibby can't commit full-time for health reasons. Price is over 80, has fought his own health problems, and has an adult special needs son... home only makes sense for him. It seems like Austin Jackson works a select few games when they are in Texas?

Petry is the best of the bunch, and I am glad he is getting more and more run.

Petry is probably the best.  He has been underrated and overshadowed by Jack Morris his whole life.  Gibson would be the best if not for his illness.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, Sports_Freak said:

Petry and Morris talk nonsense over the action on the field.

I have that objection about most sportscasters.   So many of them get lost trying to inject a "human interest" aspect into the game. Frankly I couldn't care less about Akil Baddoo's or Beau Brieske's parents/family/childhood....and the fact that they frequently go off on extended tangents with insitu interviews that interfere with play by play, really irritates me.  Especially when the game play gets shrunken down to the size of a postage stamp while the family member interviews sprawl across the screen.

But, I guess garbage like that appeals to some folks?

What I find even more annoying is the "cooked" statistics that they try to make appear  to be significant

"Most pinch hit home runs by a switch hitter  before the age of  25" and garbage like that, presented in a table listing 6 guys, taking up half the screen.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, lordstanley said:

And here's a great example of the Dodgers broadcasters telling a neat Miggy story. The Tigers announcers in the next booth were probably goofing off at the time.

That was absolutely awesome I really appreciate you sharing that. Unfortunately I was watching that game but was watching the Tigers broadcast.That was absolutely awesome I really appreciate you sharing that. Unfortunately I was watching that game but was watching the Tigers broadcast.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:15 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Mario was a professional and extremely milquetoast. I was proud of him that he finally had enough of Rod and had the balls to expose him. It's too bad he lost his job because of it.

Rod was a clown who rode the coattails of his two weeks on the Tigers in 1984 and the color of his skin on the tail of the Garner hiring fallout from MLB.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:15 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Mario was a professional and extremely milquetoast. I was proud of him that he finally had enough of Rod and had the balls to expose him. It's too bad he lost his job because of it.

Rod was a clown who rode the coattails of his two weeks on the Tigers in 1984 and the color of his skin on the tail of the Garner hiring fallout from MLB.

Wait, what? Can someone please expound on this? This is the first I’m hearing of this.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, BBFCFM said:

Wait, what? Can someone please expound on this? This is the first I’m hearing of this.

There were rumors swirling that Rod and Mario despised each other and people with keen ears recognized it. It all came to a head one day when Mario had had enough of Rod just sitting there reading twitter and not verbally analyzing. Mario decided to go silent and there was a dead air for an extended period of time before Rod finally noticed. Apparently strong words were exchanged after the broadcast which accelerated into fisticuffs. The men were summarily dismissed from the payroll.

There was also something about a chair.  Rod had back issues and there was a chair that was better for him. Mario took the chair and Rod got mad.  They had an altercation in the hallway.

That said.... their broadcasts were miles ahead of what we have today.

Mario was a pro.  he could step into any job in any sport and do a fine job.  The best broadcasters for TV are the ones you don't even notice.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

There was also something about a chair.  Rod had back issues and there was a chair that was better for him. Mario took the chair and Rod got mad.  They had an altercation in the hallway.

That said.... their broadcasts were miles ahead of what we have today.

Mario was a pro.  he could step into any job in any sport and do a fine job.  The best broadcasters for TV are the ones you don't even notice.

and Rod didn't appear to work very hard - did very little research beyond his infamous strolls past the batting cage and so had precious little interesting to add. I'm sure that is what wore on Mario after a while.

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and Rod didn't appear to work very hard - did very little research beyond his infamous strolls past the batting cage and so had precious little interesting to add. I'm sure that is what wore on Mario after a while.

I defer to Lee's assessment: "Rod is woefully unprepared"

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think I ever said that, but I might have though it.  Jack Morris is even worse though.  

Oh you said it and I remember it all too well because it really stuck out to me! Unfortunately the old site is scrubbed so I can't link to it.

12 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

There were rumors swirling that Rod and Mario despised each other and people with keen ears recognized it. It all came to a head one day when Mario had had enough of Rod just sitting there reading twitter and not verbally analyzing. Mario decided to go silent and there was a dead air for an extended period of time before Rod finally noticed. Apparently strong words were exchanged after the broadcast which accelerated into fisticuffs. The men were summarily dismissed from the payroll.

Wow, lol!  Thanks for sharing!