Announcers

47 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's gotten to the point where literally every base hit of all varieties is a "buggy whip" now too.... he used to be a little more judicious with that cliche.

Tork's opposite field single yesterday per Jim was a "baby buggy whip" lol

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Clinkeroo said:

Serious question: Does anyone know if there is a device that can delay a radio broadcast so that you can sync it with a television broadcast?  I just can’t listen to the amateur hour that passes as the television broadcasts any longer.

If you stream the radio via gameday (which is pretty cheap), it will almost always be behind the broadcast enough that on many television systems you can bring the TV 'back' to the audio. It's quite irritating that the gameday app used to have it's own time delay capability which made synching to a broadcast easy. They removed it this season - almost certainly for that exact reason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you stream the radio via gameday (which is pretty cheap), it will almost always be behind the broadcast enough that on many television systems you can bring the TV 'back' to the audio. It's quite irritating that the gameday app used to have it's own time delay capability which made synching to a broadcast easy. They removed it this season - almost certainly for that exact reason.

Go out of their way to make it harder to find their product.  Brilliant. 

Hey, I've got another great idea, lets keep screwing with the baseball !

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Thank you for commenting on this. I only stream audio and don’t follow on TV. However, it’s not unusual for me to casually check the boxscore for specifics during the game, including what the current count might be on a hitter. Sometimes the audio is as many as three pitches behind the live action. 
Also, it is not unusual for the audio to literally repeat itself several times during a game. Weird.

I knew something was screwed up but didn’t know anyone else had experienced this issue.

Oddly enough, I haven’t noticed as this issue as much from others teams audio feed. Maybe I’m not paying as much attention? 

Edited by 1776

I try to be tolerant...afterall, the former players ostensibly have more insight than a typical fan,  so I just grit my teeth through the occasional rough  spot.

But in yesterdays series finale with the Jays,  it really grew tedious watching Craig Monroe "school" Kirk Gibson on how  (bat) grip relates to swing.  And then the bit teasing him (hands on) about the towel.  I'm not sure if it was restraint on the part of Gibby, or his disability,...but Monroe seemed to me to be getting away with more than he was entitled to.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:33 PM, gehringer_2 said:

You sure about this? Because I have been able to pause Gameday audio (on my phone) to synch up with TV broadcasts pretty well. Or are you talking about something else here?

There is something I did learn this year, though: Gameday audio (radio-only) is a good minute or so behind MLB.tv (with radio overlay). So when I am out on my bike and I want to listen to Dan and Jim, I will put on MLB.tv to hear the radio overlay to stay closer to the live action.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You sure about this? Because I have been able to pause Gameday audio (on my phone) to synch up with TV broadcasts pretty well. Or are you talking about something else here?

I haven't checked on the phone, but on the web via browser there used to be a 10 second increment/decrement dialog on gameday audio, and it's gone this year - along with the extended buffering being added. Things have shifted a lot this season. The gameday cartoon on the web is now generally ahead of my TV stream by a pitch or two, which it never used to be, gameday audio is as you note - a full minute behind. This is almost  exactly the reverse of what it had been in the past yrs with gameday audio having been the closest to real time. Of course no way to know how much of this is local to my ISP (ATT) but that is how things line up for me at home now.

Edited by gehringer_2

so I just checked the gameday audio on the web vs my phone and they are pretty close. My computer is about 5 sec ahead of my phone. But the 10 sec increment tool on the phone is not on the web interface anymore. The audio on the computer is  1:11 behind the gameday cartoon display and the cartoon display is actually a few seconds ahead of the over the air radio broadcast. So assuming the radio is on 7 sec delay, the gameday cartoon must be near real time now. 

Bottom line I guess I have to go back to real over the air radio to get a near sync to my TV, but the still leaves my video stream about 10-15 sec behind the radio, and as was just asked the other day, no simple way to delay an ordinary over the air radio.

Edited by gehringer_2