Bakich is gone to Clemson

romad1

It's remarkable that Michigan held onto him as long as they did. Big Ten schools are just geographically not setup well to succeed at a high level in a non-revenue spring sport like baseball.

If you're a sought after recruit, why would you play for Michigan, where your first two months of the season are played on the road and the most pertinent outdoor facilities are not even accessible for five months out of the year? If Vanderbilt, Florida, Texas A&M, or a California school wants you, they can get the upper hand just by their location on the map. You can go there and bleed baseball 24/7/365.

I'm sure the money played a role, but he was fighting an uphill battle here anyway.

Bakich rolled out a suggestion in 2019 I believe it was that made a lot of sense. With Covid everything stopped and that was that.

His suggestion was to move the start of college baseball back a month as I recall. I thought that was a doable suggestion that would benefit all teams, particularly teams in the north. I don’t think his proposal ever got a hearing. 

My brother-in-law is a Clemson grad that still lives in the area. He has followed this search for a coach very closely. Clemson is elated to get their guy. 

Just now, 1776 said:

Bakich rolled out a suggestion in 2019 I believe it was that made a lot of sense. With Covid everything stopped and that was that.

His suggestion was to move the start of college baseball back a month as I recall. I thought that was a doable suggestion that would benefit all teams, particularly teams in the north. I don’t think his proposal ever got a hearing. 

My brother-in-law is a Clemson grad that still lives in the area. He has followed this search for a coach very closely. Clemson is elated to get their guy. 

You'd be assuming good faith on the part of Southern teams for that to pass. Why would they give up their geographical/weather advantage to help northern teams? No reason at all.

i'd be surprised if fetter gors back to the college ranks.  he's got to be earning a pretty nice rep in the majors now.  why go back to the whims of 18 year olds and traveling by bus to west lafayette and east lansing when you can fly to miami and new york?

cmu's head coach seems like a better fit.

• 1 year later...

I’m not sure of the exact legal repercussions of student athletes changing into university employees but it will probably bring about the complete dismantling of the NCAA and the college athletic structure that we’ve grown accustomed to the past 100 years.