09/10/2022 4:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals

casimir

Called at 7.5 due to rain. Tigers win 8-4.

Manning in 6 1/3 inn's 2 earned runs,3 hits, 1 BB, 4 K's and a total of 3 runs allowed, Chafin also had an unearned run to round out the score.

Reyes (triple), Baez (triple, double), Harold, Tork (triple), Carpenter (HR) all finish 2 for 4. Lots of extra bases... Last time a Tigers team hit 3 triples in a game from 3 different players...?

You have to love Kerry Carpenter's audition so far.  In a sample size that gets less small every day he is playing like a 32 homer guy.  Now, he probably will sit out against tough lefthanders and he won't get 600 PA's in a full season, but still, 450 PA's as the lefthander in a platoon, with 20 or 25 home runs and an OBP in the 330's, would be an unexpectedly nice addition in 2023.  I think that he has taken Baddoo's job which is tough because Baddoo is such a likeable kid with some exciting potential but c'est la vie.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

You have to love Kerry Carpenter's audition so far.  In a sample size that gets less small every day he is playing like a 32 homer guy.  Now, he probably will sit out against tough lefthanders and he won't get 600 PA's in a full season, but still, 450 PA's as the lefthander in a platoon, with 20 or 25 home runs and an OBP in the 330's, would be an unexpectedly nice addition in 2023.  I think that he has taken Baddoo's job which is tough because Baddoo is such a likeable kid with some exciting potential but c'est la vie.

It is a nice story so far.  Baddoo was a nice story last year.  So you just never know what will happen in the future.  If they both have options and if there isn't anyone being blocked from the 40 by keeping both, I can see them competing for LF in Lakeland next season.  Neither are strong enough defensively or proven enough offensively to hand pen in as a starter at this point.

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

It is a nice story so far.  Baddoo was a nice story last year.  So you just never know what will happen in the future.  If they both have options and if there isn't anyone being blocked from the 40 by keeping both, I can see them competing for LF in Lakeland next season.  Neither are strong enough defensively or proven enough offensively to hand pen in as a starter at this point.

Baddoo is a great example of why enthusiasm should be tempered going into Year 2. Although at least with Carpenter's emergence, that gives them another option or someone to consider, which helps going into an offseason where they have more holes than can possibly be filled.

56 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Oops, I meant LF... 

I'm going to call that a mental typo...

The Tigers have 3 left hitting OFs that really aren't too good defensively and another lefty hitting OF that might be miscast in CF (although this is the least of the issues).  Ideally Cabrera retires, Meadows can be the DH, and then if LF is decided among incumbents, one of Baddoo/Carpenter is in Detroit and the other is in Toledo.  Or even more ideally the GM has better plans for the offense.