10/25/2022 7:00 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Washington Wizards

casimir

I really appreciate players who are successful with skill and basketball IQ. But at the NBA level, sometimes being more skilled and smarter doesn’t cut it. The Pistons are below average athletically at 4 of the 5 starting positions. And Ivey doesn’t necessarily use his plus athleticism that well in all aspects of the game. 

Pistons need to start Duren over Stewart to help offset the below average athleticism from the rest of the starters. It’s needed for some rim protection and for rebounding at both ends. Another game tonite where Stewart is wildly outmatched from a physical standpoint against Porzingis. Now Stewart is stronger and is smart defensively. But smarts won’t prevent the bigger, taller guy from getting rebounds over him even when he boxes out properly. Duren gives the starters a better chance to compete off the glass, at both ends.

• Thanks 1

Yep. That's what I've been saying as well. Get Duren in the starting lineup. I don't care if he's young and not that great at team defense yet. They need the rebounding, size, and verticality. You also don't want Duren and Bagley together off the bench because the spacing will be terrible. So it's a win-win.

You can either start Stewart next to Duren and send Bey or Bojan to the bench unit, or simply send Stewart to the bench unit as you suggested, where he'll play alongside Marvin once he returns.

Any way you slice it, it's better size and athleticism for the starting unit and better spacing for a bench unit that sorely needs it.

And while we're at it, can we PLEASE get Casey to leave one of Ivey or Cade in the game at all times. This 5-man bench platoon garbage needs to end immediately. Nearly every other coach in the league staggers their two best players - it's not that hard.

Edited by Betrayer
  • Like 4

Not trying to make a bold statement or anything. But it's pretty clear to me so far early in the season that Bogdanovic is the best scorer on the team, and I don't think it's particularly close. The jumper obviously. But he uses the threat of his shot to drive the ball when defenders play up, he makes good, smart passes, and he handles the ball better than I thought, and pushed the ball in transition. Might not be just the team's best scorer, might be the team's best offensive player as well.

1 minute ago, boogiebunz said:

Not trying to make a bold statement or anything. But it's pretty clear to me so far early in the season that Bogdanovic is the best scorer on the team, and I don't think it's particularly close. The jumper obviously. But he uses the threat of his shot to drive the ball when defenders play up, he makes good, smart passes, and he handles the ball better than I thought, and pushed the ball in transition. Might not be just the team's best scorer, might be the team's best offensive player as well.

I was just thinking how fun it would be to have him on a good team.  He's a great complimentary piece to a team that has some stars.  

6 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Yep. That's what I've been saying as well. Get Duren in the starting lineup. I don't care if he's young and not that great at team defense yet. They need the rebounding, size, and verticality. You also don't want Duren and Bagley together off the bench because the spacing will be terrible. So it's a win-win.

You can either start Stewart next to Duren and send Bey or Bojan to the bench unit, or simply send Stewart to the bench unit as you suggested, where he'll play alongside Marvin once he returns.

Any way you slice it, it's better size and athleticism for the starting unit and better spacing for a bench unit that sorely needs it.

And while we're at it, can we PLEASE get Casey to leave one of Ivey or Cade in the game at all times. This 5-man bench platoon garbage needs to end immediately. Nearly every other coach in the league staggers their two best players - it's not that hard.

Yeah, they have been missing a guy with Duran's frame and athleticism and nose for the loose ball.

I don't know what the answer is for Cade.  Last year, I felt like his craftiness and ability to go left or right were enough to offset the lack of size and athletic ability.  Now I question that.  At the end of the day, he is probably going to have to be not just a decent shooter but a really good shooter for the Pistons to get something like top 5 pick value from him.  

In his defense, it's not helping that he doesn't play with a big guy that can flush it off a good pass.   

The Wizards don't have Beal right now.  We got beat pretty easy by a Pacers team that probably won't make the playoffs.  And we got run off the court by the Knicks, who are good, by not great.  I am wondering if we can even get to 20 wins this year.  Yikes.  This is not what people were expecting.   Many thought the Pistons were an up and coming team to watch and could possibly contend for a playoff berth.  

28 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I enjoy watching Ivey.  He's quick decisive and attacks effectively with the ball.

Cade doesn't seem to put consistent pressure on the opposition on either side of the ball.  Just too passive and too slow with his decision-making.

This makes me think that it might be better if Ivey can develop into a primary ball-handler... and make Cade the secondary guy...

Speaking only about Cade: it might make him more effective.

7 minutes ago, Hart said:

The Wizards don't have Beal right now.  We got beat pretty easy by a Pacers team that probably won't make the playoffs.  And we got run off the court by the Knicks, who are good, by not great.  I am wondering if we can even get to 20 wins this year.  Yikes.  This is not what people were expecting.   Many thought the Pistons were an up and coming team to watch and could possibly contend for a playoff berth.  

Just imagine adding Victor Wembanyama to this team.

It pushes Duren to PF, Stew to the bench. Pick your SF from a large cast... Ivey becomes primary ball-handler at PG and Cade secondary at SG. I think this team becomes extremely dangerous at both ends of the court.

Stew and pick 3 of 4: Bagley/ Bey/ Livers/ Burks or Bojan or whoever fills out the roster (minus one of those guys starting...); and now the bench has some scoring ability too...

Just thinking out loud...

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

This makes me think that it might be better if Ivey can develop into a primary ball-handler... and make Cade the secondary guy...

Speaking only about Cade: it might make him more effective.

It might.....they have to do whatever is necessary to make Cade a more aggressive and rhythmic scorer/creator.  Passive Cade kills this offense.