NBA Info - January 2023

Deleterious

I understand the sentiment...

But I also think that Turner is the key type of player that changes the team in an immensely positive way. Specifically on the defensive end. And the rest of the talent on the Pistons is on rookie contracts so I'm less concerned about money on a Center than on adding a transformative player to the team.

Turner is a shot blocker, not a defender.  There is a huge difference.  

Put it this way.  He has lead the league in blocks multiple years and has never finished top 5 in DPOY voting.  He has never made a single all defensive team.  

Then take a guy like Bam.  He wont average 1 block a game and still is in the top 5 for DPOY.  He has made all defensive the last 3 years.  That is a defender, someone who can step out and defend the dribble hand offs, the PnR, the switch, etc.  That is the guy you consider paying $30M+ a year.  Turner isn't close to Bam.

On top of that, the Pistons have 3 guys coming off of rookie deals in the summer of 2024.  They are about to get expensive really fast.  Having decent players like Turner on a stupid contract will really hurt their ability to maneuver.  There are a lot of better places to spend the money they have.

• Like 1

How dumb are the Nets?  If you want a defensive anchor for Detroit at Center, see if the Nets will trade Nic Claxton for Bojan.

Sort of limited offensively but knows his role and has solid range out to 4 feet.  OK, his offense is a joke.  But he is a lob threat and excellent on defense.  Shot blocker plus defender.  Possible all defensive candidate this year.  Only 23 years old.

I would do Bojan for Claxton + salary filler (maybe Patty Mills) straight up without a pick.  You have to eat an extra year of the Mills contract at $6M per, but it would be worth it for Claxton.  But Brooklyn says no in a hurry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think you can play in the modern nba with two players on the floor who cannot shoot outside of 3 feet.

That's why I prefer Turner because he can hit the 3.

But defensively, as Del pointed out, he's not as good defensively compared to his high-end shot-blocking numbers...

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

then what do you do with Duren?

I don't feel the Pistons are good enough to worry about the possibility of positional logjams.  I don't think Duren has shown nearly enough to not try and improve his position.  I also don't think his ceiling is high enough to just shut down any potential improvement at the C position.

I do think Duren has some potential 3 or 4 years down the road.  But Claxton is doing it now, so I will take that.  If Duren does develop then great.  We keep the best and/or cheapest one and use the other in a trade to improve other weak areas of the team.

Like I said, Brooklyn never makes that trade.  Detroit would have to sweeten the pot a bit.

35 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't feel the Pistons are good enough to worry about the possibility of positional logjams.  I don't think Duren has shown nearly enough to not try and improve his position.  I also don't think his ceiling is high enough to just shut down any potential improvement at the C position.

I do think Duren has some potential 3 or 4 years down the road.  But Claxton is doing it now, so I will take that.  If Duren does develop then great.  We keep the best and/or cheapest one and use the other in a trade to improve other weak areas of the team.

Like I said, Brooklyn never makes that trade.  Detroit would have to sweeten the pot a bit.

i'll take duren's potential and look to trade boggy for a pick.