NBA Info - January 2023

Deleterious

I haven’t really been watching too much this season but have been following Pistons scores.   I couldn’t believe they were giving up 118 a game and I was blown to see that wasn’t even worst in the league.  There are 13 teams allowing more than 115 a night.  Crazy.   

6 hours ago, buddha said:

the pendulum has swung too far, lets change some rules to let teams play some defense again.

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I haven’t really been watching too much this season but have been following Pistons scores.   I couldn’t believe they were giving up 118 a game and I was blown to see that wasn’t even worst in the league.  There are 13 teams allowing more than 115 a night.  Crazy.   

The rules are certainly in favor of more offense.  But it also seems as though the realization has set in where defensive "effort" is waning, and why blame players/teams for wasting time on defense?  Sure, guard the rim and the 3 line.  Everywhere in between, allow the shot and (1) get the rebound or (2) get set on the other end for a quick layup or 3.

The increased 3PT shooting has a bigger impact on scoring than any defensive changes.

When the 04 Pistons won teams shot 14 3 pointers per game.  Today they shoot 34 per game.  Those teams had to guard 20 feet in, now you have to guard 30 feet in.  It opens things up so much.  The ability to drive, the ability cut and pass, the defensive can't help as much.

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The increased 3PT shooting has a bigger impact on scoring than any defensive changes.

When the 04 Pistons won teams shot 14 3 pointers per game.  Today they shoot 34 per game.  Those teams had to guard 20 feet in, now you have to guard 30 feet in.  It opens things up so much.  The ability to drive, the ability cut and pass, the defensive can't help as much.

I still find it so bizarre that it took 35 yrs for players and coaches to finally learn/accept how high a shooting percentage was possible for human beings at 24'. You would have thought the game would have gotten to where it is today at least 20 years ago once the league was fully populated by players that grew up with it. The long game has been waiting there all along, just waiting for enough Stef Currys to finally prove it to the doubters I guess.

And of course here we are in Detroit, on our third or fourth generation of team management that still refuses to understand the primacy of shooting skill.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

free them up to hand check again and i bet that number goes down.

on the one hand, 71 points for donovan mitchell and every other scorer seemingly getting 50 per night is ridoculous.  otoh, nobody wants to go back to the 90s and early 00s of 70 point games.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

free them up to hand check again and i bet that number goes down.

on the one hand, 71 points for donovan mitchell and every other scorer seemingly getting 50 per night is ridoculous.  otoh, nobody wants to go back to the 90s and early 00s of 70 point games.

yeah - the game is sort of out of whack, but I don't know what the answer would be - you can't move the 3pt line back any further without widening the court, which seems unlikely. I think what you want is for fans to able to see some effect of team play or apparent coordinated strategy having an impact on the game as opposed to just an exhibition of which players have a hot shooting hand at the moment. The latter will always play a big part in basketball but I don't think you want it to be only/all that.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - the game is sort of out of whack, but I don't know what the answer would be - you can't move the 3pt line back any further without widening the court, which seems unlikely. I think what you want is for fans to able to see some effect of team play or apparent coordinated strategy having an impact on the game as opposed to just an exhibition of which players have a hot shooting hand at the moment. The latter will always play a big part in basketball but I don't think you want it to be only/all that.

there has been all sorts of rule change talk.  putting a "3 second rule" for the corner so you cant have a shooter camped out there.  decreasing the size of the lane to get teams to emphasize the big man again.  allow hand checking and more physical defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

there has been all sorts of rule change talk.  putting a "3 second rule" for the corner so you cant have a shooter camped out there.  decreasing the size of the lane to get teams to emphasize the big man again.  allow hand checking and more physical defense.

I'd love to see it. Bringing back some defense doesn't stop offensive teams from winning games, but it does create another strategy you could build your team around. Right now it's pretty one-dimensional.