02/23/2023 7:00 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Orlando Magic

casimir

I'm probably the only one still watching all these games, but at least it was a close loss this time which kept it exciting.

Ivey's game has been developing before our eyes. You can see things clicking for him and he's begun to develop a mid-range game as well as making reads and passes that he definitely wasn't making in the first couple months of the season. His shot efficiency is improving as well, especially on catch and shoot threes. I think the stat I heard was 87th percentile on those, which bodes well for playing alongside Cade next year.

Casey is still a heck of a tank commander. Tie game, you need 1 stop to send it to OT. What's your lineup? Bojan and Burks, with Stew at Center? Wow. Please get this clown out of here this offseason.

Wiseman was seriously struggling in the first half, but looked pretty good in the second half and wound up with 10 rebounds. Also, his defense is not nearly as bad as reports indicated. He's no lock-down defender, but he's not Marvin Bagley bad either.

51 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I'm probably the only one still watching all these games, but at least it was a close loss this time which kept it exciting.

Ivey's game has been developing before our eyes. You can see things clicking for him and he's begun to develop a mid-range game as well as making reads and passes that he definitely wasn't making in the first couple months of the season. His shot efficiency is improving as well, especially on catch and shoot threes. I think the stat I heard was 87th percentile on those, which bodes well for playing alongside Cade next year.

Casey is still a heck of a tank commander. Tie game, you need 1 stop to send it to OT. What's your lineup? Bojan and Burks, with Stew at Center? Wow. Please get this clown out of here this offseason.

Wiseman was seriously struggling in the first half, but looked pretty good in the second half and wound up with 10 rebounds. Also, his defense is not nearly as bad as reports indicated. He's no lock-down defender, but he's not Marvin Bagley bad either.

why did we sign bagley to a three year contract?

is it an easy contract to move?  i dont get it.

22 hours ago, buddha said:

why did we sign bagley to a three year contract?

is it an easy contract to move?  i dont get it.

I didn't get it then and it makes even less sense now. Plus, he was signed after we had already drafted Duren and picked up Noel in the trade. We still had Olynyk too. Sure, in the grand scheme, a 12M/yr contract isn't going to kill you and could be nice salary filler in a bigger trade, but that doesn't make it a good move.

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I thought Cade played alot better when Bagley was on the court. Having that lob threat seemed to open things up for him when he penitrated so maybe that was their reasoning? 

That says less about Bagley and more about the poor roster construction beforehand. Going from Stew at Center to any warm body that can catch a lob and finish in the paint was going to help Cade who was top ten in the league in getting double-teamed.

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not sure why we should give this organization any credit for knowing what they are doing. Has there been a shred of evidence they do since Gores bought the team?

none.

although gores did get a nice banner of himself out of it.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

do you think the pistons have been a well run organization during tom gores' tenure?

I don't think they have had good results and he gets a failing grade so far.  But people considered Bill Davidson a great owner and his first decade of ownership was also a dumpster fire.  

He seems to stay out of the way of the GM.  That is good.

He seems willing to spend money since they are over the cap every year.  That is good.

They seem to have top notch facilities.  That is good.

He seems terrible at identifying the correct person to run the basketball side of things.  That is obviously bad.  But 90% of the league can't hire the right guy, so I don't know.  

I guess the first three don't matter if you suck at number four.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

He seems terrible at identifying the correct person to run the basketball side of things.  That is obviously bad.  But 90% of the league can't hire the right guy, so I don't know.  

I guess the first three don't matter if you suck at number four.  

McCluskey was gold. Joe D make one great set of trades and other than that was pretty lost. Outside of that Davidson mostly failed also. GM/President of Ops - whatever you call it, in most pro sports it's the most critical piece. We can only hope Gores finds one. It ain't Weaver.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 2/24/2023 at 11:44 AM, Betrayer said:

I'm watching them, too, but I don't always pick up on what everyone else picks up on.

I agree, its been fun watching Ivey develop this season.  It stinks that he couldn't do so along Cunningham this season, but we'll get that next season, hopefully along with Wembanyama.

I know Wiseman was a hotly discussed topic, but I like the pickup.  I think he'll show he can be a viable front court option around the paint.  How that fits in with today's game, not sure.  But if the talent is there, the talent is there.  Having talent makes it easier to trade for similar level but different skill set talent that might fit the team in a different/better way.  Bey for Wiseman?  Some folks didn't like the fit, and I can understand that.  But if they can develop the talent and find themselves with an excess big that they can trade to a team with a need for a big that has an excess perimeter player to send in return, I don't think we'll be upset with that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, buddha said:

did anyone watch this game?  did james wiseman really foul out in 20 minutes?

sounds like marvin had a nice game and ivey woke up and decided to do his best killian hayes impression this morning.

(EDIT: This should've been in the Toronto game thread)

Yep, I watched it. I watch them all.

Last couple of games, I have to say that the Pistons defense has looked a little better. Either the lack of Bey or maybe the message that Bey got traded because he wasn't playing defense, or maybe just guys having more energy after the All-Star break rest, but they look a little more engaged and connected on that end of the court. Let's see if it continues.

Livers is showing why he's a better fit in that 3 and D role than Bey.

Marvin put up some Drummond numbers. You can tell he knows his job is at risk. If Wiseman lights a fire under him, great.

Wiseman was solid as well. Way too many fouls, but he also had 10 rebounds in that time period. I'm not seeing All-Star, but he could be a really good backup big.

Ivey struggled with his shot after shooting lights out last game, but some of those passes were really nice. 5 assists in the first quarter and 10 for the game. He continues to show development in that aspect of his game.

They really need to move Killian to bench PG and start Burks. Get Killian playing his future role (if he has one) and put the spacing around Ivey. Plus, I don't want to see CoJo anymore and that would solve it.

Edited by Betrayer

8 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

They really need to move Killian to bench PG and start Burks. Get Killian playing his future role (if he has one) and put the spacing around Ivey. Plus, I don't want to see CoJo anymore and that would solve it.

I can see an argument for having Hayes playing “starter minutes” to develop.  But that can be done coming off of the bench, too.

I think there’s also a point that this current guard arrangement is better to losing games and increasing lottery odds than a starting backcourt of Ivey and Burks.  Hopefully this is the last season to consider winning the lottery for a long time.