03/05/2023 1:05 pm EST Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

10 minutes ago, Dave Christian said:

Rodgers has got to be the everyday catcher, he's just too good not to be a regular.

Hand Haase the firstbasemans mitt and send Torkelson somewhere.

Have the Tigers tried Haase at 1B this spring?  It seems like a bit of an unknown for 1B if Torkelson does start the season in Toledo.

18 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Rogers is tearing the cover off the ball so far.

I was pretty cautious about Rogers being in game shape after missing so much time.  It just seems to me that catchers are so involved in the game, literally every pitch, that losing that kind of time could really set them back.  And then when you factor in how Rogers had only a short amount of success at the MLB level, it just kind of gives me pause.

But he certainly is having a day.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Have the Tigers tried Haase at 1B this spring?  It seems like a bit of an unknown for 1B if Torkelson does start the season in Toledo.

Maybe - I'd really hate to see it get to where Haase plays 1st - nothing against Haase but he can't do anything about the fact that he doesn't give you much reach - so I'd rather see him in the OF. But lots to sort out before then, like whether Torkelson finds his bat.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was pretty cautious about Rogers being in game shape after missing so much time.  It just seems to me that catchers are so involved in the game, literally every pitch, that losing that kind of time could really set them back.  And then when you factor in how Rogers had only a short amount of success at the MLB level, it just kind of gives me pause.

In general, I think the glut of catchers (of varying quality, mostly AAAA tho) is probably their exercise in caution with Rogers.

But if this version of Jake Rogers (who has so far looked good on both sides) continues to play out, that is absolute best case scenario... it takes one of the bigger question mark positions on the diamond, one that has been a question mark for years, and makes it one of the strongest.

• Thanks 2

Malloy looked like a legit 3B on a play.  Runner on 2nd.  Grounder to his glove side.  Good diving catch, pop up, and accurate side arm to 1st for the out.  After he releases the ball, the camera is on him long enough that you can see him moving towards 3rd for a possible return throw.  It’s just a little thing, but given there are questions about his fielding acumen at 3rd, it’s an encouraging thing.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe - I'd really hate to see it get to where Haase plays 1st - nothing against Haase but he can't do anything about the fact that he doesn't give you much reach - so I'd rather see him in the OF. But lots to sort out before then, like whether Torkelson finds his bat.

Agree.  Ideally Torkleson earns 1B, Haase and Rogers handle the catching, Haaae finds time in LF vs LHPs, and Cabrera finds himself on the 60 so the Tigers can use that active roster spot for an actual contributing baseball player.