03/05/2023 1:05 pm EST Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

agree... at 23 your either a MLBer or not  and I think its time to find out

Good God we've become so warped in thinking when guys should be ready.

22 is a senior in college for most people

Edited by KL2

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I'd rather advance a guy on his skill then some check list/ age test

Ok and that's fine

But that's different saying "at 23 your either a MLBer or not" which does seems like an "checklist list/age test"

You literally said a player ar 23 is an mlb or not. But that would leave guys lie dl hall off who is a top pitching prospect but 24. Not to mention guys like Chapman who made his debut at 24 and was just fine.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

so miggy never took steroids like ortiz did?

whether he did it by the book or not, seeing the end of his career approaching, Ortiz motivated himself to do some things he hadn't done for a previous decade or so. And whether PED catalyzed or not - I take no view on that at all one way or the other -  he still had to put in the work for the PEDs to have done him any good. IIRC, Miggy tried losing weight exactly once in his career in Det, quickly settled on the convenient claim that it was sapping his power, and that was that. 

It's water under the proverbial bridge now and with all the injuries Miguel probably can no longer train to recover much trim if he did try, but it's all good. His lack of fitness increases the probability he will be off the active roster sooner, which is the best result for the Tigers.

Edited by gehringer_2

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

whether he did it by the book or not, seeing the end of his career approaching, Ortiz motivated himself to do some things he hadn't done for a previous decade or so. And whether PED catalyzed or not - I take no view on that at all one way or the other -  he still had to put in the work for the PEDs to have done him any good. IIRC, Miggy tried losing weight exactly once in his career in Det, quickly settled on the convenient claim that it was sapping his power, and that was that. 

It's water under the proverbial bridge now and with all the injuries Miguel probably can no longer train to recover much trim if he did try, but it's all good. His lack of fitness increases the probability he will be off the active roster sooner, which is the best result for the Tigers.

ortiz has always been a fat pos.  the difference with him is he went hard on peds, got caught, and then lied about it.

and because he's "big papi" and plays for the red sox, mlb let him get away with it.

sorry for the rant, but ortiz in the hall of fame and arod not is a miscarriage of justice.  ortiz is a cheater and a liar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Parker Meadows ceiling is higher than all our outfielders including his brother apart from Greene. He is a legit two way player and better in center than Greene who’s mediocre arm plays better in left. Greene - Meadows - Verling left to right all can hit field throw run and have power. I say line them up and play them every day. Austin is a DH and Miggy is a dud we’re stuck with both declining assets. One of Badoo and Carpenter back to AAA until we can clear them via trade or retirement. 

Look we waste too much time evaluating players and tough decisions are ahead. Let’s just make them sooner. Schoop is another. One dimensional and in decline. Go with Lipscus on the bench and Maton at second. He’s a middle infielder. Nevin on third since he’s out of options. Keith  and JHM in the wings in AAA should he fail. Hernandez as back up. Kriedler to AAA. 

And somebody please tell Tork he’s on the team so he can relax. Sink or swim time is here. Play him until it hurts or he succeeds. Just put him in the 8 hole every day and let it roll.

Quit being master scientist. Put the best talent on the field. Comerica Park field. And get Colt Keith and JUstin Mallory minimum 300 abs there this year. 

Sorry that’s  my early spring rant but I am a bit impatient. I really like analytics but love talent so let it play if they are doing well. Ride the momentum. 

3 hours ago, buddha said:

i'm really intrigued by parker.  good blood lines, good athlete, they seemed to have fixed his swing.  he could be a real asset for them.

but he probably starts in triple a.  if so, i wouldnt be surprised if he's called up real soon after baddoo bombs out.

Baddoo hit better at AAA than Meadows hit at AA last year.  I don't really understand all the Baddoo hate among Tigers fandom.  

19 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Quit being master scientist. Put the best talent on the field. Comerica Park field. And get Colt Keith and JUstin Mallory minimum 300 abs there this year. 

Sorry that’s  my early spring rant but I am a bit impatient. I really like analytics but love talent so let it play if they are doing well. Ride the momentum. 

I don't understand the last part of your post.  An analyst wants to put the best talent on the field.  

Two straight posts where I don't understand stuff.  Time to go to bed.  

7 hours ago, buddha said:

ortiz has always been a fat pos.  the difference with him is he went hard on peds, got caught, and then lied about it.

and because he's "big papi" and plays for the red sox, mlb let him get away with it.

sorry for the rant, but ortiz in the hall of fame and arod not is a miscarriage of justice.  ortiz is a cheater and a liar.

And Ortiz is an inferior player to Rodriguez and Bonds.

9 hours ago, KL2 said:

Ok and that's fine

But that's different saying "at 23 your either a MLBer or not" which does seems like an "checklist list/age test"

You literally said a player ar 23 is an mlb or not. But that would leave guys lie dl hall off who is a top pitching prospect but 24. Not to mention guys like Chapman who made his debut at 24 and was just fine.

I was being a little hyperbolic 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

And Ortiz is an inferior player to Rodriguez and Bonds.

This is 100% true by virtue of Arod defensive contributions alone, but how weird is this?: After 20 yr careers they sport lifetime OPS and OBP within a single point of each other. (380/930:380/931)

• Thanks 1