03/05/2023 1:05 pm EST Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Agree.  Ideally Torkleson earns 1B, Haase and Rogers handle the catching, Haaae finds time in LF vs LHPs, and Cabrera finds himself on the 60 so the Tigers can use that active roster spot for an actual contributing baseball player.

I think the most likely scenario is that Miguel is going to way overdo it in a close WBC game, tear something or irritate the knee running the bases too hard, and take himself and the tigers right out of having to worry about his '23 Tiger playing time.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Man, Twins fans are going to know more about Galdden and his sidekick's recreational lives than they ever cared to before the season is over. 

It’s a bit tangenty, but it’s better than Angry Jack talking about back in his day.

And, yes, tangenty is a word.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the most likely scenario is that Miguel is going to way overdo it in a close WBC game, tear something or irritate the knee running the bases too hard, and take himself and the tigers right out of having to worry about his '23 Tiger playing time.

I don’t want the guy to hurt himself.  But I also don’t want to see him poorly imitate a mirage of an inadequate DH this season.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t want the guy to hurt himself.  But I also don’t want to see him poorly imitate a mirage of an inadequate DH this season.

That's the thing with Miguel, for a number of years now his in-game enthusiasm has far exceeded his off season discipline at becoming a player that can safely play enthusiastically, It's just who he is. That switch that flipped for a guy like Ortiz never turned on for Cabrera.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Dave Christian said:

Rodgers has got to be the everyday catcher, he's just too good not to be a regular.

Hand Haase the firstbasemans mitt and send Torkelson somewhere.

Haase doesn't hit right handers, so he's not a regular.  He is a solid backup catcher  

Parker is 23 1/2 yrs old. If he hits he should be on the Tigers NOW. Period. You are either hitting MLB pitching or you aren't. If you are, another 10 minutes in the minors is just 10 min wasted. No such thing as a guy who is hitting that needs more seasoning time in the minors. Now once the pitchers get into better form Parker's bat may well disappear, and that's fine. Then you have a different conclusion, because he is NOT hitting MLB pitching.

But the seeming presumption that a guy always needs time in the minors until he has spent multiple seasons at every level just to do the time, seems to have been overdone in this org in the past. And I think it was in part because they had sooooo many guys who just never progressed. They got to AA or AAA and hit a wall so it was easier to believe guys just 'need more time' instead of admitting they were busts and it was like the prevailing mindset or something. You hit your way onto a roster and then of course you may well hit your way back off!

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Parker is 23 1/2 yrs old. If he hits he should be on the Tigers NOW. Period. You are either hitting MLB pitching or you aren't. If you are, another 10 minutes in the minors is just 10 min wasted. No such thing as a guy who is hitting that needs more seasoning time in the minors. Now once the pitchers get into better form Parker's bat may well disappear, and that's fine. Then you have a different conclusion, because he is NOT hitting MLB pitching.

But the seeming presumption that a guy always needs time in the minors until he has spent multiple seasons at every level just to do the time, seems to have been overdone in this org in the past. And I think it was in part because they had sooooo many guys who just never progressed. They got to AA or AAA and hit a wall so it was easier to believe guys just 'need more time' instead of admitting they were busts and it was like the prevailing mindset or something. You hit your way onto a roster and then of course you may well hit your way back off!

agree... at 23 your either a MLBer or not  and I think its time to find out

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm thinking though...

That Parker could still use some time at AAA.

This is the 1st week or so of Spring Training games...

not the same as facing the usual MLB pitching gauntlet at all...

And with some of the better pitchers heading to the WBC for a bit, he might see some inferior stuff for a bit longer.

I’m not at all opposed to him making the team if he proves his worth.  Somewhere along the line there’s going to be a tough decision to make.  And if MeadowsP makes the team, it’s got to be at the expense of one of Carpenter/Baddoo, does it not?  It’s likely not going to be MeadowsA/Greene.  They can’t carry 5 LHH OFs, can they?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing is that Meadows is, obstensibly, in competition with Baddoo and Carpenter for a spot (Vierling is a shoo-in because he's a righty and can play infield). McCosky's comment from yesterday (see below) seemed incredulous at the idea that Meadows would supplant either of them.

My question is... why? I love what Baddoo did in 21 and that Carpenter gave them after his callup last year, but neither of them should just be gifted a spot, particularly if they have options (as both of them do). They both have flaws of their own in their game that Meadows has less of, particularly defensively. And neither have enough of a track record to be given the benefit of the doubt as well.

I get the argument about Parker not having played about Double A yet, but that also shouldn't begin and end the discussion either. Merit through performance should matter as well.

Edited by mtutiger

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's the thing with Miguel, for a number of years now his in-game enthusiasm has far exceeded his off season discipline at becoming a player that can safely play enthusiastically, It's just who he is. That switch that flipped for a guy like Ortiz never turned on for Cabrera.

so miggy never took steroids like ortiz did?

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The other thing is that Meadows is, obstensibly, in competition with Baddoo and Carpenter for a spot (Vierling is a shoo-in because he's a righty and can play infield). McCosky's comment from yesterday (see below) seemed incredulous at the idea that Meadows would supplant either of them.

My question is... why? I love what Baddoo did in 21 and that Carpenter gave them after his callup last year, but neither of them should just be gifted a spot, particularly if they have options (as both of them do). They both have flaws of their own in their game that Meadows has less of, particularly defensively. And neither have enough of a track record to be given the benefit of the doubt as well.

I get the argument about Parker not having played about Double A yet, but that also shouldn't begin and end the discussion either. Merit through performance should matter as well.

i'm really intrigued by parker.  good blood lines, good athlete, they seemed to have fixed his swing.  he could be a real asset for them.

but he probably starts in triple a.  if so, i wouldnt be surprised if he's called up real soon after baddoo bombs out.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm really intrigued by parker.  good blood lines, good athlete, they seemed to have fixed his swing.  he could be a real asset for them.

but he probably starts in triple a.  if so, i wouldnt be surprised if he's called up real soon after baddoo bombs out.

You're probably right as far as him starting at AAA. Just don't think it's as crazy as the insiders think for him to be in the conversation if his performance merits.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You're probably right as far as him starting at AAA. Just don't think it's as crazy as the insiders think for him to be in the conversation if his performance merits.

I don't think it's crazy.

I just think once he gets a steady diet of MLB pitching, that he'll start to struggle.

That still doesn't state that he'd be a worse option than Baddoo or Carpenter... he wouldn't be. But to me, taht WOULD make the argument that I want him getting 5 PA's per game at AAA so he can see close-to-MLB breaking pitches/ offspeed, etc.

It's the same reason Tork! may need to start out at AAA. Less stress, lots of playing time.

I didn't mean to throw Tork! in there... but he has yet to solve MLB pitching so... until that light bulb turns on... I'd force him to stay at AAA. Which also says it might force him to take a closer look at his swing... which he's been heavily opposed to (adjustments, etc...).

Parker needs a steady dose of offspeed/ breaking balls...

Tork! needs to fix his swing. Whether he wants to or not.

PS: Two birds with one stone.