03/11/2023 1:05 pm EST Detroit Tigers vs Atlanta Braves

casimir

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Parker really wants to make the team. Can they really send him down if he stays this hot?

The "Baddoo or Carpenter" debate rages on, but Parker lurks in the background of it... he's probably the better player long term compared to both

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The "Baddoo or Carpenter" debate rages on, but Parker lurks in the background of it... he's probably the better player long term compared to both

Better than his brother too and right there with Greene and Vierling who are both having good ABs.

That would be a good outfield with three centerfielders.

Edited by Tigermojo

51 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Manning getting lit up this spring 

Kinda think that a portion of the worry rationed to Spencer Torkelson needs to be pointed at Manning tbh.

At least for me, he's the most concerning player in camp

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

hes making it hard not to make the team

At the very least, he has to be in direct competition with Carpenter and Baddoo for that last LHOF spot at this point.

He could always hit an 0-for at some point and come back down to earth, but he's earned that consideration.

And Parker is definitely throwing his hat in the ring for the 26-man...

He has to take a starting spot I think, to go north.

I could see it as Meadows-Meadows-Greene getting most starts (against RH'ers of course... so those 3 as main starters doesn't bother me...) And Vierling taking all PA's against LH'ers, whether Austin or Parker take s a seat for a game or two... But I think Vierling gets more starts than that. So I don't know what that means.

Parker in AAA for more consistent PA's? Parker & Vierling start over Austin? Making Austin a bit more of a bench guy? That seems unlikely... but if Parker wins a spot over Baddoo & Carpenter... then these are the questions/ issues to be resolved by AJ...

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

At the very least, he has to be in direct competition with Carpenter and Baddoo for that last LHOF spot at this point.

He could always hit an 0-for at some point and come back down to earth, but he's earned that consideration.

There’s always the possibility of a trade to alleviate some of that LHH OF jam.  To me Carpenter seems like the kind of guy that Tampa or Oakland would take.  Interesting bat, defense not necessarily so.  Baddoo is still young enough some team would take him, it’s just a matter of what the return would be.

How has MeadowsP looked vs offspeed stuff?  Has his offense come mostly on fastballs?  There’s the spring training stat line which might look quite nice, but what’s behind those numbers is more important to me.

• Like 1

PPS: Let's say Parker makes it and AJ decides Vierling-Parker-Greene is his best starting OF. 9 out of 10 games.

So... 

Can we have Austin take all the LH'ed PA's at DH? So Cabrera is only playing 2-3 games per week, and is available as a PH'er? I don't think AJ would do that... just tossing it out there. Austin could also take half the RH'ed pitchers with Vierling so that they are both playing about 1/2 the LF PA's... as another suggestion... And they would both be great PH'ers off the bench...

Just thinking out loud.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

How has MeadowsP looked vs offspeed stuff?  Has his offense come mostly on fastballs?  There’s the spring training stat line which might look quite nice, but what’s behind those numbers is more important to me.

This is going to be the key for all 3 of them - Parker, Baddoo, and Carpenter.

Who can handle Major League sliders and curves, etc...?

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: as an exercise, rank all our OF'ers by defense:

is it:

1) Parker

2) Vierling

3) Greene

4) Baddoo

5) Austin

6) Carpenter

???

Or is Greene above Vierling? Or... how would you guys rank them? On defense?

I think Cody Stavenhagen mentioned in last week’s podcast that Vierling has better speed than Greene, but Greene has better jumps and reads.  No idea where MeadowsP factors in.

Somewhere I saw that Parker was the best CF'er of the 3... even if that was just an opinion.

But based on whoever is able to command the CF spot... who has the better arm for RF, versus needs to be stuck in LF? And is LF still more spacey/ difficult than RF, like it was when first built? Or have all the mods made that a moot point from a fielding perspective...?

Just questions to consider...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PPS: Let's say Parker makes it and AJ decides Vierling-Parker-Greene is his best starting OF. 9 out of 10 games.

So... 

Can we have Austin take all the LH'ed PA's at DH? So Cabrera is only playing 2-3 games per week, and is available as a PH'er? I don't think AJ would do that... just tossing it out there. Austin could also take half the RH'ed pitchers with Vierling so that they are both playing about 1/2 the LF PA's... as another suggestion... And they would both be great PH'ers off the bench...

Just thinking out loud.

If MeadowsA is forced to play vs LHPs, just slot him lower in the lineup.  Then there’s less chance of a 3rd PA vs the LHSP.

Ideally a team has enough everyday players to allow for platoons and still create a full lineup, but that ain’t gonna be the Tigers in 2023.  it doesn’t mean they can roll with an almost all LHH OF and almost all RHH IF.  But they’ll have to find that happy medium somehow along with covering defensively and carrying an immovable object in his final deadweight season.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Somewhere I saw that Parker was the best CF'er of the 3... even if that was just an opinion.

But based on whoever is able to command the CF spot... who has the better arm for RF, versus needs to be stuck in LF? And is LF still more spacey/ difficult than RF, like it was when first built? Or have all the mods made that a moot point from a fielding perspective...?

Just questions to consider...

The bottom line for me with MeadowsP and the LHH OFs is what’s best for the long haul for MeadowsP?  Is his game mature enough to play in MLB or does he need more time in the minors?  If it’s the latter, then that’s an easy decision, he goes to Toledo and everything else works out however it works out.  If his game is ready, he’s in the mix for Detroit, but is probably still best served playing every day.  Maybe that’s still Toledo if the Tigers are set on Baddoo/Carpenter/Vierling in LF.

• Thanks 1

Which might be the only reason to have Parker play in AAA this year.

So he can get ALL the PA's and not worry about platoon squeezes on the MLB roster. 

Unless, again, the squeeze is put on Austin and Miggy. I'm OK with that a whole lot more than on Parker. And I don't care if it's Baddoo or Carpenter on the MLB roster and they are played on a platoon basis. Perfectly fine with that.

But yeah... can't wait until Miggy rides off into the sunset...

Loved him as a Tiger and what he did for us... But it's just way past time to move on... by at least a year or 3.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

The bottom line for me with MeadowsP and the LHH OFs is what’s best for the long haul for MeadowsP?  Is his game mature enough to play in MLB or does he need more time in the minors?  If it’s the latter, then that’s an easy decision, he goes to Toledo and everything else works out however it works out.  If his game is ready, he’s in the mix for Detroit, but is probably still best served playing every day.  Maybe that’s still Toledo if the Tigers are set on Baddoo/Carpenter/Vierling in LF.

Yeah I just said the same thing.

100% on board with your comments here...