03/22/2023 1:05 pm EDT Atlanta Braves vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know if you pulled 7 out of nowhere or if you were dialed in with that.  But his last 6 seasons have been crap and this season won't be much better.

As far as showing respect, sure, he had a great career.  Hall of fame, first ballot.  Lots of great memories.  But he's completely worthless on an active roster.  People bag on Hinch for moving position players around and searching for interchangeability.  But he has to in part because Cabrera creates a roster crunch.

Obviously Lee was just joking...

But I gave you some love for this post anyways because...

It just all makes so much sense...

Baddoo is blocked by his inconsistency at the plate.   He needs everyday work to get better and being the 26th man on the roster with his main use as the primary pinch runner won’t help him.  Getting AB’s everyday in Toledo and raking would be much better for his development if he really is a prospect.  

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Baddoo’s ability is the only thing keeping him off the team. He’s been given a million chances.  If he can’t make the roster on his own accord with these new rules to help base stealing then he’s not a prospect and is a solid career AAA player.   Can’t block someone like that.  

A million chances, eh?  I agree, he needs to show something this season.  So are you suggesting that Cabrera is a better ballplayer than Baddoo?

What about Carpenter?  I think the fact that Carpenter can't field a position is a huge negative, and I am probably a bit more harsh on that than most folks.  I've seen/heard suggestions about trying him at 1B.  I don't know if with a new regime they can figure out something with him defensively or not.  But his bat is something this team sorely needed last season, and could be beneficial going forward.  

So, you keep avoiding who Boyd and Lorenzen are blocking?

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Don't disagree that there is a commitment there - I'm just hoping it's justified. If he hits it won't matter but but I was dismayed by what I have seen of his fielding - hopefully new team jitters or something.

One imagines that with as little as he has played this ST, this is basically the equivalent of week one for him right now.

Regarding Boyd and Lorenzen, alex said it best earlier in the thread - modern pitching rotations needs to be 8 or 9 deep. David Cone said something to that effect on a Yankees ST broadcast involving the Tigers last year, and little did we know that the 2022 Detroit Tigers would learn that lesson in spades.

So no, Matt Boyd and Michael Lorenzen aren't blocking anyone.... they are ensuring that guys that were getting #4/#5 type starts last year are #7/8 on the depth chart. And subsequently helping to ensure that as injuries happen, and they will, they won't be turning to the Drew Hutchison's, Ty Alexander's and Derek Norris's of the world to cover starts.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

A million chances, eh?  I agree, he needs to show something this season.  So are you suggesting that Cabrera is a better ballplayer than Baddoo?

What about Carpenter?  I think the fact that Carpenter can't field a position is a huge negative, and I am probably a bit more harsh on that than most folks.  I've seen/heard suggestions about trying him at 1B.  I don't know if with a new regime they can figure out something with him defensively or not.  But his bat is something this team sorely needed last season, and could be beneficial going forward.  

So, you keep avoiding who Boyd and Lorenzen are blocking?

It’s not about Cabrera being better or worse than anybody.  He’s not.   We are talking about the 26th man on a team that’s best hopes for the year would be finishing 3rd place in worst division in baseball.  

It’s an insignificant position and even more so since we have no legit MLB prospects that would be helped by playing once a week instead of playing everyday in Toledo.    

Look I agree it would be a completely different story all around if we had a competitive team.  We don’t.   

As for the pitchers, we have guys that really have no plans in the future when their competitive window should open.  Boyd and Lorenzen only long term value  is if they can pitch well enough the first half to garner anything in low flyer type prospects for them at the trade deadline.   In theory, Wentz, Madden, and Flores getting innings could all benefit the future better.   In reality, the last two aren’t ready for it yet but I do suspect that they both will be up for a bit before end of year for a taste.  

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

On one hand, yes, but on the other hand, someone who deserves to be make this team will not on account of his existence. And that is frustrating.

If that’s frustrating the you may need to adjust your expectations for this team.   It’s going to be a long year and that’s if everything goes right with the young guys.  

Again, is it better for a young player to ride pine and not play in Detroit or get everyday AB’s in Toledo?

Edited by Hongbit

36 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Incessant complaining about Miggy…

D94FA94A-21C0-466F-8C74-595B71AD4FE6.jpeg

I have no complaints whatsoever...

With paying off his final year and telling him he's off the roster.

And he can still stay with the team as a Bench (cheerleader) Coach and wave to the fans every game. And hobnob with all the other players (both teams) in all the day's downtime...

No complaints whatsoever.

PS: this is not an old man yells at cloud situation, btw...

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

...   Again, is it better for a young player to ride pine and not play in Detroit or get everyday AB’s in Toledo?

Or is it better to have a utility player that allows certain players to take a day off or be substituted for properly (including game injury); rather than forcing a starting player to play through an injury because instead of having a proper backup to cover for the guy... we have a Corpse Formerly Known as Miggy Cabrera on the roster?

Asking for a friend.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Or is it better to have a utility player that allows certain players to take a day off or be substituted for properly (including game injury); rather than forcing a starting player to play through an injury because instead of having a proper backup to cover for the guy... we have a Corpse Formerly Known as Miggy Cabrera on the roster?

Asking for a friend.

I‘m not defending Cabrera or his value to the team.  I’m just saying that his roster spot on this team is largely insignificant.  

To answer your question.  Well with a guy like Baddoo, I guess it depends on how you view him.  If you see his future ceiling as a utility guy then sure maybe he should be on this team playing and getting better at that role.   If people still view him as a possible every day player in the future then he should be in Toledo until a spot to play everyday here opens up.   Based on what I’ve heard it sounds like most view him as the latter. 

I am looking at this season as the first part of the 2025 team.  Wins and losses don’t matter to me at all.  It’s all about trying to improve future development and find players that can help when they may be ready to start winning.  Miggy’s last bench spot doesn’t really matter  in this equation since anyone fighting for it won’t get many AB’s up here anyway. 

Edited by Hongbit

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Asking for a friend.

I don't think I could have said this better. On a competitive team, he should have been cut in 2017. He has been a AAAA player on his very best days for 6 years. For me, enough is enough. The casual fan will buy a ticket for the Miggy sideshow. That is why he is will be on the team.

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If that’s frustrating the you may need to adjust your expectations for this team.   It’s going to be a long year and that’s if everything goes right with the young guys.  

Again, is it better for a young player to ride pine and not play in Detroit or get everyday AB’s in Toledo?

Whether it's going to be a long year or not seems irrelevant to this discussion, at least to me. 

It was the same last year when people were being mocked for wanting Kerry Carpenter to be brought up, it's the same now.... personally, I'd rather see the young guys play over Cabrera. I know that isn't going to happen, and the Tigers feel differently, but it is what it is.

Edited by mtutiger

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Whether it's going to be a long year or not seems irrelevant to this discussion, at least to me. 

It was the same last year when people were being mocked for wanting Kerry Carpenter to be brought up, it's the same now.... personally, I'd rather see the young guys play over Cabrera. I know that isn't going to happen, and the Tigers feel differently, but it is what it is.

The fact it’s going to be a long year is the most relevant part of the discussion.  

If this was a competitive team then we aren’t having this debate.  There is no way they could waste a roster spot on Miggy.   Every spot would matter towards winning games.  Even the last guy would need to help them fill a specific role.   That’s not the case with this team.   Also, Cabrera isn’t going to play that much anyway.  

Edited by Hongbit

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The fact it’s going to be a long year is the most relevant part of the discussion.  

We just disagree here.... maybe there's a varying level of value based on competitiveness, but it doesn't matter whether you are a bad team or a good team, roster spots are valuable. Wasting them on players who aren't going to play that much anyway is suboptimal

Edited by mtutiger

28 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

We just disagree here.... maybe there's a varying level of value based on competitiveness, but it doesn't matter whether you are a bad team or a good team, roster spots are valuable. Wasting them on players who aren't going to play that much anyway is suboptimal

I get what you are saying and I won’t disagree.  

In reality, its not nearly as important for a bad team with no playoff hopes to operate at optimal efficiency.  Not ideal but also not a big deal if the last roster spot can only help the team by maybe selling a few more tickets at various points during the season.