03/22/2023 1:05 pm EDT Atlanta Braves vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Baddoo taking a walk and being disruptive on the bases to manufacture a run. Carpenter with 3 HRs. Meanwhile Veirling showing questionable CF play not many LH pitchers in the AL Central. Maybe Baddoo and Carpenter do both make the team.....

Manning with a pick-off after a lead-off single in the 3rd.

well, I don't know if it will change and who knows what may possibly change with the Bally bankruptcy, but as of today, the Bally game on DirectTV and my Gameday audio are back to being close enough to synchronize. Blissful relief from Shep and Monroe. Jim Price is showing his age - but mostly just by talking less.

Edited by gehringer_2

21 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Enjoyed hearing Leyland there. Dan asked if he thought Ohtani was the best player he had ever seen. JL said he is pretty good but don't think he can play second base.

Leyland did an inning in the radio booth then moved next door. Told the joke in both places, but it was SS the 1st time...😎

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Do we all agree that the Tigers should just give Cabrera a buyout and use Haas and Carpenter as our DH or are there still holdouts? We gotta pay him anyway but why be stubborn and have it cost us games? Pay him to go away.

No.  This is 100% a rebuilding year with no chance of being competitive in September.  He’s not going to be playing everyday and won’t be blocking anyone.  He will probably settle into a glorified pinch hitter role for much of the year and I can’t see how he will cost us games.  Let him finish on his terms.  

32 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Do we all agree that the Tigers should just give Cabrera a buyout and use Haas and Carpenter as our DH or are there still holdouts? We gotta pay him anyway but why be stubborn and have it cost us games? Pay him to go away.

It depends on whether he hits at all and of course whether he stays healthy enough to be in the lineup at all. I'm sure the FO hopes he ends up on the DL and removes the issue from their inbox. Alternately, we, and they, can all dream that he actually holds the lineup spot down at maybe even 700 OPS, but I'm not optimistic because he was back to hitting flat footed today, and the regular season hasn't even started. That is a bad sign.

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

No.  This is 100% a rebuilding year with no chance of being competitive in September.  He’s not going to be playing everyday and won’t be blocking anyone.  He will probably settle into a glorified pinch hitter role for much of the year and I can’t see how he will cost us games.  Let him finish on his terms.  

I know he has to be on the team because that is just the way it is, but he does block people by limiting roster flexibility.  They have a lot of role players who will be in various platoons and match-ups and having an extra player that can play in the field would help.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's an embarrassment to himself, the team, and Major League baseball at this point.

I've been arguing for this for at least two years.

But it won't happen. "Dignity" and all. Plus the last year of his contract. Player/ team/ fan relations...

I'll live.

But he is going out as pitiful.

So how do we feel about the starting pitching? Right now I'm:

Manning: I'm seeing a mid rotation guy. I think he could be dominant if he had a couple more mph, but I think lack of top level velo FB limits the ceiling for his pitching style. And needs to stay healthy

Boyd: Should keep us in most games he starts - a 500 kind of guy.

ERod: This Spring we see why they gave him the money. They should have a shot in the games he starts

Turnbull: Above average starter if his body holds together.

Lorenzen: now a question mark.

so basically decent potential but too many health question marks (what else is new?)

Edited by gehringer_2