Popups

CMRivdogs

Question

Just trying to figure out whether it's the Forum or a browser issue. I've been getting full page popups for ads shortly after first opening a page. All forums. The most annoying is one that features a spin to win wheel that does not go away until I close the entire page.

8 answers to this question

They are called Vignette ads.  Its a new ad format that is becoming more common on websites. 

Sorry, but they help pay for the expense of running this website.

From Google Adsense:

Vignette ads are full-screen ads that appear between page loads.

Vignettes are displayed when the user leaves a page, rather than when they arrive on one, so the user doesn’t have to wait for them to load.

We (Google) limit the number of vignettes per user to maintain a good user experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ironic - the one site that I didn't mind paying to join doesn't ask for my money anymore while a hundred others I have no interest in hound me constantly.....:classic_wink:

We tried a donation type system years ago and it was a bit of nightmare on my end...  I know the ads can be somewhat intrusive at times, but they do help cover the costs of running this site, especially with these new vignette ads.  Unfortunately running a website like this isn't free (damn!).

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Sorry not sorry. This site has been free since it's inception in 1999. The Ads are part of the user experience and a minor inconvenience to help us all enjoy interacting with the site. Its definitely way less intrusive than what occurs on youtube etc. 

Yes, it is a minor inconvenience and I do believe that most of the users here understand that.  Personally I'd love to have no ads running on here, but it is much less stress on me knowing that when software and server bills come due, that I have  revenue to fall back on to help cover the expense.

42 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

They are called Vignette ads.  Its a new ad format that is becoming more common on websites. 

Sorry, but they help pay for the expense for running this website.

Sorry not sorry. This site has been free since it's inception in 1999. The Ads are part of the user experience and a minor inconvenience to help us all enjoy interacting with the site. Its definitely way less intrusive than what occurs on youtube etc. 

10 hours ago, MotownWebGuy said:

Yes, it is a minor inconvenience and I do believe that most of the users here understand that.  Personally I'd love to have no ads running on here, but it is much less stress on me knowing that when software and server bills come due, that I have  revenue to fall back on to help cover the expense.

I'm okay with it as long as you never sell to evil Chicago gambling sharks. 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry about the HUGE banner ad running at the top of the forum today. 

This is apparently an experiment that Google decided to run...  I believe I have stopped this experiment, so hopefully it will stop showing soon. 

Ads are a necessary evil to help pay the bills, but there has to be a happy medium.  This new ad is a bit much with everything else that is already running.  Sorry...

• Like 2