NBA Info - September 2023

Deleterious

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Well, if Rick Berry could lead the league in FT% shooting them underhand, why not?

I think the physics of this could make some limited sense. Since the ball comes off the backboard with a fraction less than one of the energy it hits it with, you should get more leeway in the range of velocities that the ball hits the backboard with but still falls in the hoop, compared to having to get exactly the right x-direction velo to find the hoop on the direct shot. I think the real issue here though is that since there are so many other shots - baseline etc, where the backboard can't help or the angle is more complex to instantly solve, it's better for muscle memory, etc.,  just to always have one aim point - the hoop. 

Still, the 'everybody does it that way' arg always has to be suspect. It took the league 30 yrs to finally play the game the 3pt shot meant they should have been playing all along - all that held the game back was a wrong belief that guys could not shoot as well as they have proved they can.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, if Rick Berry could lead the league in FT% shooting them underhand, why not?

I think the physics of this could make some limited sense. Since the ball comes off the backboard with a fraction less than one of the energy it hits it with, you should get more leeway in the range of velocities that the ball hits the backboard with but still falls in the hoop, compared to having to get exactly the right x-direction velo to find the hoop on the direct shot. I think the real issue here though is that since there are so many other shots - baseline etc, where the backboard can't help or the angle is more complex to instantly solve, it's better for muscle memory, etc.,  just to always have one aim point - the hoop. 

Still, the 'everybody does it that way' arg always has to be suspect. It took the league 30 yrs to finally play the game the 3pt shot meant they should have been playing all along - all that held the game back was a wrong belief that guys could not shoot as well as they have proved they can.

On the other hand, the basketball travels more distance by hitting the backboard and ricocheting back, right?  That’s just more opportunity for it to be too far off to the side one way or the other, right?

15 minutes ago, casimir said:

On the other hand, the basketball travels more distance by hitting the backboard and ricocheting back, right?  That’s just more opportunity for it to be too far off to the side one way or the other, right?

Exactly - that's the calculation you'd have to do - how wide a range of initial velocities can a backboard shot have versus a direct shot. I think it's very possible the back board might give you more leeway, but I think the argument about the consistency of hand to eye for all the other shots they take doesn't make it worth it to take a different aim point for free throws - just always look for the back iron, or whatever point works for a player. Ironically, if you take a totally different shot, like Berry's underhander, then you maybe wouldn't care because it's a totally different muscle memory set, though Berry did not shoot his UH FTs off the backboard.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just heard a discussion about bigs these days, but can't remember who/where.  Anyway, the gist of the conversation was that bigs in America train to be guards, and to a fault.  Too much hanging out at the arc, not enough time in the key.  Bigs elsewhere are trained to be basketball players.  They have some of the guard skill sets, but they also have some of the traditional skills of the front line.

A league memo obtained by ESPN about the changes describes these areas of the new policy. Enforcement of these policies will be based on league office investigations, which will include independent medical reviews, sources said.

• Teams must manage their roster to ensure that no more than one star player is unavailable for the same game.

• Teams must ensure that star players are available for national television and in-season tournament games.

• Teams must maintain a balance between the number of one-game absences for a star player in home games and road games -- with a preference for those absences to happen in home games.

• Teams must refrain from any long-term shutdown -- or near shutdown -- when a star player stops participating in games or plays in a materially reduced role in circumstances affecting the integrity of the game.

• Teams must ensure that healthy players resting for a game are present and visible to fans.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

Its a step in the right direction.  I don't know if it will be effective enough, but doing nothing won't be effective.

kwahi - the king of load management and stealing money - will start the game, play 2 minutes, then go the bench for the rest of the game.  paul george will do the same.  or they'll alternate halves.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

kwahi - the king of load management and stealing money - will start the game, play 2 minutes, then go the bench for the rest of the game.  paul george will do the same.  or they'll alternate halves.

Well, so that begs the question, at what point are the players docked pay?  Because this isn't all on the teams unless they are simply saddled with being complicit.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, so that begs the question, at what point are the players docked pay?  Because this isn't all on the teams unless they are simply saddled with being complicit.

as someone who works in the legal industry, let me tell you this: you can ALWAYS find a doctor to say that someone is injured.  i assume the players will do that.

now, unlike the great american legal system, the league office is the decision maker and not 12 dumb asses who couldnt get out of jury duty, so it may not work in the way it works in court...