09/21/2023 9:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

casimir

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What about 84 instead of 90?

That's a six-game swing, so it might help slightl, but the number one thing will be willingness to spend.  I don't expect them to pursue top free agents who are 30 years old.  I doubt they'll get him as a bunch of teams will want him, but I'd love to see them aggressively pursue Yamamoto. Short of that, I'd like them to show they are willing to spend now that Cabrera and Rodriguez will be off the payroll.  I hear that Jung Hoo Lee can control the strike zone!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers weren't willing to spend this winter, given where they are in the rebuild cycle. They are still clearing the rot out of the system and that's where the focus is going to continue to be for at least another whole year.

I don't think it's a case of, they won't spend because they don't care and they don't want to win yet because the diabolical immutable plan. I think it's more like, we are putting the best team we can on the field while we clean up this system and figure out who here can do what, and also who out there can come in and help us take a step forward, and we're hoping our improved developmental processes will yield more wins, and perhaps with this group, we can make it a race in '24, and maybe even steal the division.

After all, teams who have successful rebuilds frequently—if not usually—make one giant leap from sub-mediocre one year to playoff contender the next. If this rebuild goes as planned—big if, I know, but still, if—then I expect this team will take that leap, too. it could be in 2024, or it could be in 2025. I would say, though, that if they haven't done something like that by 2026, if they're still playing sub-mediocre ball, something will have gone wrong.

22 hours ago, chasfh said:

They signed top free agents by throwing more money and years at them than anyone else cared to. That was the last administration's jam. I doubt it will be this administration's.

If done creatively, it can pay off at the end.  Which free agent acquistions leading up to 2006 did they end up regretting?

Rodriguez? Ordonez? Rogers? 

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If done creatively, it can pay off at the end.  Which free agent acquistions leading up to 2006 did they end up regretting?

Rodriguez? Ordonez? Rogers? 

They also got something decent out of Rondell White and Fernando Vina.

Jason Johnson and especially Troy Percival, not so much.

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They also got something decent out of Rondell White and Fernando Vina.

Jason Johnson and especially Troy Percival, not so much.

Percival was awful.  I don't know if Johnson qualified as a big overpay at 2 yrs/ 7 million.  That looked reasonable at the time of the signing.  Rodriguez and Ordonez got substantial longterm deals which they would not have gotten elsewhere as they were risks due to health concerns. 

Later, Dombrowski almost got burned by Fielder and Upton. He bailed himself out on Fielder and Upton bailed him out.

Our dilemma will be the willingness to outbid other teams for free agents, in both $ and years.  Many contracts given out the past two offseasons will be regrettable for the teams who made those choices.  We obviously have one in Baez.

I think we plug holes and plan to give the AB’s to Malloy, Keith, Jung and Meadows.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Our dilemma will be the willingness to outbid other teams for free agents, in both $ and years.  Many contracts given out the past two offseasons will be regrettable for the teams who made those choices.  We obviously have one in Baez.

I think we plug holes and plan to give the AB’s to Malloy, Keith, Jung and Meadows.

Or as Benke used to say, they can make TRADES! 🤡👹🥸

Carlos Guillen for Santiago and Gonzalez.   

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Percival was awful.  I don't know if Johnson qualified as a big overpay at 2 yrs/ 7 million.  That looked reasonable at the time of the signing.  Rodriguez and Ordonez got substantial longterm deals which they would not have gotten elsewhere as they were risks due to health concerns. 

Later, Dombrowski almost got burned by Fielder and Upton. He bailed himself out on Fielder and Upton bailed him out.

I would bet a lot of those biggest deals were owner mandates. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Or as Benke used to say, they can make TRADES! 🤡👹🥸

Carlos Guillen for Santiago and Gonzalez.   

Yep.  But maybe we don’t have to make a lot of moves.  Upgrading at C would be nice.  SS, too.  I wonder if Skubal will be in play with the Dodgers, who would jump at a controllable elite pitcher.  They clearly have the prospect capital to make a deal.  Whether ERod stays or goes will factor significantly with any potential moves involving our rotation.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers worst moves were not even the trade trades, it was the stupid extensions - Dontrelle, Prince, Martinez and Cabrera were all big unforced errors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Tigers worst moves were not even the trade trades, it was the stupid extensions - Dontrelle, Prince, Martinez and Cabrera were all big unforced errors.

Fielder was just a bad signing.  It was a foolish impusive move ignited by the Martinez injury.  Fielder was a very good hitter, but they only needed him for one year while they waited for Martinez to get healthy.  What did they plan on doing when they had Cabrera, Fielder and Martinez on the same roster locked up long-term? Plus, a big man like that was not a good candidate to age well and he predictably followed the same career path of his father.