09/21/2023 9:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

casimir

8 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

If the Tigers win tomorrow, Oakland's winning % will be under .300. Their run differential is -333. Over 2 runs a game...historically bad.

You can blame the owner for that. Dan impressed me hugely last night by tearing into the ownership of the A’s and how they have neglected the park, the team, and totally screwed over the fans. He spent maybe five minutes of air time breaking the whole thing down. He was very critical of the owner, calling his name several times. I wish I could have recorded his words. Nobody anywhere could have said as much as he did so succinctly. And every syllable was the absolute truth. Yes the team is bad. But the issue all along has been the greedy owner using the team as a pawn for what he wanted. That MLB allows this is disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Btw 1 more win guarantees us of a loss total in the 80s. Idk something visually about that looks so much better than 90+ losses. Like it feels like you were almost a .500 team. 

Also a decent couple of weeks may be enough to finish 2nd place in the AL (Comedy) Central...

As bad as the division is, that also looks visually more appealing!

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

You can blame the owner for that. Dan impressed me hugely last night by tearing into the ownership of the A’s and how they have neglected the park, the team, and totally screwed over the fans. He spent maybe five minutes of air time breaking the whole thing down. He was very critical of the owner, calling his name several times. I wish I could have recorded his words. Nobody anywhere could have said as much as he did so succinctly. And every syllable was the absolute truth. Yes the team is bad. But the issue all along has been the greedy owner using the team as a pawn for what he wanted. That MLB allows this is disgusting.

I agree. And after watching a few innings, I feel bad for both the players and the fans. A once proud franchise...

49 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also a decent couple of weeks may be enough to finish 2nd place in the AL (Comedy) Central...

As bad as the division is, that also looks visually more appealing!

I do wonder whether we can get marginally better short-term free agents by pointing to a second-place standing and a 70-something-80-something record, as opposed to a fourth-place standing and a 66-96? Marginally-better short-term free agents is nothing like a goal, of course, but it would be an improvement of sorts, and in a continuing rebuild, and little step forward is still a step forward.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I do wonder whether we can get marginally better short-term free agents by pointing to a second-place standing and a 70-something-80-something record, as opposed to a fourth-place standing and a 66-96? Marginally-better short-term free agents is nothing like a goal, of course, but it would be an improvement of sorts, and in a continuing rebuild, and little step forward is still a step forward.

I doubt that finishing second or losing 89 instead of 90 is going to sway players at all.  They will care whether the organization has improved and whether they are seriously building to win in the future.  I suspect they get their impressions from talking to other players rather than looking at records.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I doubt that finishing second or losing 89 instead of 90 is going to sway players at all.  They will care whether the organization has improved and whether they are seriously building to win in the future.  I suspect they get their impressions from talking to other players rather than looking at records.  

Not even marginally? Absolute zero effect? OK.

Either way, we are not getting any top free agents to commit to years here, not this winter anyway. We are still on a seven-year losing streak and the best players want to sign with teams that are winning, since they are already getting the money in any event.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not even marginally? Absolute zero effect? OK.

Either way, we are not getting any top free agents to commit to years here, not this winter anyway. We are still on a seven-year losing streak and the best players want to sign with teams that are winning, since they are already getting the money in any event.

I don't think players will be hoodwinked by a second place finish when they know that they are the the 10th best team in the league.  That is just something teams use to market to casual fans. 

Losing teams, including the Tigers, have signed top free agents before.  Whether or not that would be a good idea for the Tigers is another question.  

42 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think players will be hoodwinked by a second place finish when they know that they are the the 10th best team in the league.  That is just something teams use to market to casual fans. 

Losing teams, including the Tigers, have signed top free agents before.  Whether or not that would be a good idea for the Tigers is another question.  

They signed top free agents by throwing more money and years at them than anyone else cared to. That was the last administration's jam. I doubt it will be this administration's.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I hear he was originally drafted by Baltimore. Figures, other team cast-off. A Harris special.

Oh ha ha, I just took you at your (now I know was joke) word that it was Avila. That’s how closely I’ve been following the fortunes of Brenan Hanifee!