11/01/2023 7:00 EDT Detroit Pistons vs Portland Trail Blazers

Tigeraholic1

Jalen Duren is listed as questionable for tonight after that ankle injury he had last game.

Also, it's time to change this starting backcourt:

-Lineups with Cade + Ausar + Killian are -15.4 points per 100 possessions.

-Lineups with Cade + Ausar + Burks/Ivey are +46 points per 100 possessions.

From everything I've heard about Monty coming in, this is his big weakness. He's stubborn as hell and not big on analytics, so I'm guessing he doesn't make the obvious change that both the numbers, the eye test, and every analyst from Vecinie to Jack Kelly is calling out.

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Jalen Duren is listed as questionable for tonight after that ankle injury he had last game.

From everything I've heard about Monty coming in, this is his big weakness. He's stubborn as hell and not big on analytics, so I'm guessing he doesn't make the obvious change that both the numbers, the eye test, and every analyst from Vecinie to Jack Kelly is calling out.

Maybe he thinks Cade needs to man up and learn to beat those triple teams before he's willing to put someone out there with him that the other team will have to guard....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Betrayer said:

i think ivey or burks should be starting.  i also dont think that stops double teams on cade because the pistons dont have another ball handler.  they need morris back.

also, who is the opposition when those lineups are on the floor?  killian - for his many flaws - has been drawing other teams #1 or #2 scoring options.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think ivey or burks should be starting.  i also dont think that stops double teams on cade because the pistons dont have another ball handler.  they need morris back.

also, who is the opposition when those lineups are on the floor?  killian - for his many flaws - has been drawing other teams #1 or #2 scoring options.

I'd like it to be Burks for now to get a veteran shooter in there, and also because it'll make it easier to replace him with Bogey when he comes back. But I can see the case for Ivey who projects to be a better secondary ballhandler and creator.

Ausar will get the #1 perimeter assignment in the starting lineup and having Killian on the bench gives you a decent defender in the second unit when he rests. I say "decent" because in reality Killian gets way more credit than he deserves on that end. He's not an elite defender by any stretch of the imagination, it's simply one of the few things he does at an average NBA level.

There are also a lot of scorers in the second unit, which works well with Killian's solid passing and lack of scoring punch.

Once Morris and Bogey are back though, I'm not sure where you find minutes for Killian. You'll already have Morris, Ivey, and Burks as perimeter players off the bench (and Livers for a week or two before he gets injured again). Can't forget about Sasser either, who they moved up to get and who has played well in limited minutes.

It really is time for a trade.

14 minutes ago, Hart said:

It's hard to believe we are not better with Sasser out there.  He takes a lot of the ball handling pressure of Cade and Ivey, thus making us less turnover prone.  He can shoot it.  And he is a pest on defense.  

Thompson gets the attention as the rookie sensation, but Sasser looks his part as well.

The last three drafts have yielded Cunningham, Ivey, Duren, Thompson, and Sasser.  That’s a helluva way to inject talent and athleticism into a team that sorely needed it.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

how can you say anything about sasser right now?  he plays 10 minutes a game against the other team's bench or in garbage time.

wiseman plays and has more fouls than points.  sounds about right.

5 assists and 0 turnovers in the first half.  Give him minutes and see what happens.  

This is a frustrating L.  Cade tried to play hero ball and while he had some bad breaks (including once again getting no calls from the refs), it really cost us in the 4th quarter.  He's shooting well from outside right now but that pretty much gets negated when he is just out there dribbling the ball around trying to create offense with little to no success.  The Blazers got back into the game because Sharpe got hot when Ivey stopped playing defense and then they won the game when the Pistons stopped moving the ball and just waited for Cade to take over.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buddha said:

no burks, no duren, no bogey, no morris.

this loss is frustrating but understandable when youre missing four of your best players.

Sure, they were missing those 4.  But they also melted down from 15 up in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

no burks, no duren, no bogey, no morris.

this loss is frustrating but understandable when youre missing four of your best players.

The first time I was really frustrated with Monty.  People will make excuses but I really just didn't see it necessary for four guys to just stand around and wait for Cade to do something the last 6 minutes of the game.  We made 3 field goals in the last 10 minutes of the game.  

• Like 1