11/14/2023 7:00 EDT Atlanta Hawks vs Detroit Pistons *Group Stage In season Tourney

Tigeraholic1

Cade ain't the guy and it's becoming more and more clear that Casey was unfairly scapegoated. This team is just as bad as last year and this is with the "franchise player" that they didn't have last year. Another long, ugly season ahead and Weaver should be on the hot seat if the win total barely budges from the 16 last year which is certainly possible.

Edited by NYLion

28 minutes ago, NYLion said:

This team is just as bad as last year

Plus the thing is there is no team. There is a roster and rotation, but in no way does this collection of players represent a team. No evidence of logic or planning in this roster that I can see. 

Maybe Cade just missed his time. Maybe he would have been more successful in the man defense era when he could have gone iso against generally smaller guards.  

Edited by gehringer_2

trae young didnt even play.

cade was garbage again.

how much are they paying monty williams to coach THIS?  i hate tom gores but even i admit he has a right to be pissed about the product on the floor.

every time i feel like weaver should be fired asap i remember that duren and half the team are injured.  the team should look better when (if???) they ever get their role players back.  it would be real hard to look worse.

then i remember that weaver traded assets for james wiseman and i think i was right the first time and that he does deserve to be fired asap.

i know i should have more patience with a young team, but this is awful.  del said he should be in trouble if a team in year 4 of a rebuild cant even sniff a play-in game.  well....were definitely on track for that.

on the bright side, houston may never get that #1 pick we traded for stewart because we'll never finish outside the lottery.  ha!  jokes on you, houston!

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Plus the thing is there is no team. There is a roster and rotation, but in no way does this collection of players represent a team. No evidence of logic or planning in this roster that I can see. 

Maybe Cade just missed his time. Maybe he would have been more successful in the man defense era when he could have gone iso against generally smaller guards.  

Exactly right. It's just a collection of talented players either highly drafted by the Pistons or highly drafted by another organization. The pieces don't fit and there's no alpha in the group so what you get is a bunch of young guys who have no idea how to play winning basketball and nobody that can carry the team and win games on his own when the others aren't playing well. "The Process" of a complete teardown rebuild and just throwing a bunch of young guys together hoping it sticks only works if you have an Embiid level talent to spearhead it. When you have a mid player like Cade at the forefront, it's going to get ugly. 

What I think needs to be done is that they need to consolidate some of the young talent by bringing in more proven players that fit better. For instance, use Ivey as trade bait especially if you're not going to utilize him much. I don't know what he'd be worth but I'm sure there's teams that see the talent and would be willing to pony up a nice package. All I know is that it can't keep going on like this. Losing begets more losing and these guys play like players that have no idea how to win. The 4th quarters from the games I've seen have been ugly, every single one of them. Losing is engrained deep in this culture right now and it's consuming these guys.

Edited by NYLion

i still think cade can be a really good player.  like, really good.  but man, this is tough to watch.  he's regressed.  what happened to "dominated the world championship practices" cade?  what happened to opening night cade?  he's gotten worse every single game.

ivey doesnt even look like the same player as last year.  he looks depressed and is playing sad basketball.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

what happened to "dominated the world championship practices" cade? 

Playing with players good enough that he couldn't be triple teamed there? Even if you believe he is better than the TO's bricked shots and inability to get the foul line  argue right now, there is no way for Cade to star in the role of one on 5 basketball!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Playing with players good enough that he couldn't be triple teamed there? Even if you believe he is better than the TO's bricked shots and inability to get the foul line  argue right now, there is no way for Cade to star in the role of one on 5 basketball!

that goes back to team construction and lineups.

killian and ausar on the floor kill any room for cade.  they were much better on offense when duren was there for the pnr with cade.  bogey at least opens up some space.  burks has to be on the floor with cade to give SOME space.  without him cade is just running into triple teams.

again, saddiq wasnt great, but he provided some spacing if you could get him to play that role (which atl has done but casey couldnt).  and you replaced it with nothing.

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Weaver has 4 (Hayes, Ivey, Cade, Asuar) draft picks in the top 7 on this team.  He also made 4 other 1st round picks in Sasser, Duren, Bey, and Stewart.  

All that and they are still going to battle for a top 5 pick this year.

and have no future assets to show for it.  no future picks.  in fact, they OWE a future #1 for the privilege of drafting an undersized center who doesnt defend the rim.

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Weaver has 4 (Hayes, Ivey, Cade, Asuar) draft picks in the top 7 on this team.  He also made 4 other 1st round picks in Sasser, Duren, Bey, and Stewart.  

All that and they are still going to battle for a top 5 pick this year.

Because it's all young guys and none of them are franchise players. 

Weaver knows exactly what he's doing. He's just collecting a bunch of young talent, regardless of fit, and praying that it sticks. The design is to tank another year and pray that he finds a true #1 player. It's The Process Part Deux

It's getting rough out there. No matter where you look the fanbase has turned on this team and all the off-season hopes have gone down the drain. The reality is there isn't one answer here. No matter how you look at it though, some changes must be made.

Both things are true: Cade has to play better AND Cade is getting absolutely blitzed every time he comes off a screen with no spacing around him. Get Burks, Sasser, or Ivey in the starting lineup for Killian or even Knox for Stew - or both - to create more spacing. Also, he shouldn't be leading the league in minutes and top 5 in usage in his first month back for what is effectively his sophomore season after missing an entire season due to injury. He looks as tired and frustrated as we are.

Monty's legendary stubbornness can't continue. The fact that Ivey is averaging 19 minutes a game while Killian is averaging 30 is criminal.

Weaver loves to collect big-men, but he's collected the wrong ones for this bench. We said it before the season started, and Duren's injury has made it even worse - we needed a veteran defensive big man on this team. Someone cheap (like McGee or even Biyombo) that you could have used instead of rolling out Wiseman (or Stew) at the backup 5.

Monty's .5 offense is making a difference in both the negative and positive columns. The turnovers are up by 2.5 from last year, however the assists are also up by 5 from last year (from 23 to 28 per game). We're at game 12 in a new system that involves way more ball movement and we're rolling out a rotation where every player that's logged significant minutes is between and 19 and 24 years old. I have to imagine the turnovers trend down as the vets come back and the youngsters get more games under their belt in this system.

On a positive note, the ceiling for Ausar is high. Dude continues to be a bright spot for the Pistons on most nights. He's top 5 in the NBA in rebounds (the other guys are all centers), is already making a case for an All NBA Defensive Team appearance, and simply stuffs the stat sheet. We're just 12 games into his rookie season and I continue to be impressed.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Because it's all young guys and none of them are franchise players. 

Weaver knows exactly what he's doing. He's just collecting a bunch of young talent, regardless of fit, and praying that it sticks. The design is to tank another year and pray that he finds a true #1 player. It's The Process Part Deux

8 first round picks.  He has drafted in the 1st round a starting 5 and 3 bench players.  They still can't win 30 games.  That is not collecting talent.

You need a star or stars to win a title in this league.  You don't need one to win 30 games.  8 FRPs should be plenty to do that.

• Thanks 1