Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

They also gave Okwara, Harris, and Cominsky more money before turning around and asking them to take a pay cut. If the Lions are going to continue to treat their role players like that, they'll sign elsewhere. 

Or... Instead of straight up cutting Okwara, Harris and Cominsky, the Lions gave them the option to stay on but with a pay cut. If the Lions are going to continue to give job security to role players even after they regress, they'll all want to sign here.

FWIW regarding Carlton Davis, reading the Bucs message boards there are mixed feelings. They're happy they got the 3rd, but the general consensus is that despite having a rough year last year, particularly in zone coverage, when he was healthy and on the field, he was a very reliable defensive back.

For the comparisons being made to Jerry Jacobs, if we had traded Jacobs instead of releasing him I don't think anyone would have been sad.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kendall-fuller/

Kendall Fuller had a man coverage success rate of 68.5% and Carlton Davis was at 55.1% in man. Give me Fuller please.

This doesn't actually seem to be good for Fuller. It says man coverage success rate is "percentage of targets allowed in which the defensive back's assigned receiver gained more than 5 yards of downfield separation." That reads to me that a lower number is better? Davis was also better in QB rating allowed and catch rate allowed. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

This doesn't actually seem to be good for Fuller. It says man coverage success rate is "percentage of targets allowed in which the defensive back's assigned receiver gained more than 5 yards of downfield separation." That reads to me that a lower number is better? Davis was also better in QB rating allowed and catch rate allowed. 

I read that, but when you look at the rank it has Fuller as the #37th ranked guy in man coverage success and Davis as the #87th ranked guy.

50 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm working on the assumption Mack gets cut. I don't think anyone is trading for Mack or Bosa. Once they are cut I would swoop in like a vulture. Williams is more likely to be cut than Allen so that would work. The Chargers really are in a bad spot. 

I think it's possible a team that is in a position to win now (or thinks they are) with cap space to spare offers a 6th or 7th to avoid a bidding war. The Bears, Seahawks, Raiders, Broncos, Colts, Lions, and Packers all probably qualify.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I read that, but when you look at the rank it has Fuller as the #37th ranked guy in man coverage success and Davis as the #87th ranked guy.

I looked up Sauce just for comparison and he is over 80% and ranked 2nd. I guess higher is better but the explanation seems poorly worded. I would think a lower percentage would be better. 

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it's possible a team that is in a position to win now (or thinks they are) with cap space to spare offers a 6th or 7th to avoid a bidding war. The Bears, Seahawks, Raiders, Broncos, Colts, Lions, and Packers all probably qualify.

I was kind of thinking the opposite. A team like Washington with a ton of cap room may take on Bosa or Mack if the Chargers offer up a pick to unload him. Kind of like the Brock Osweiler to Cleveland trade a while ago. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was kind of thinking the opposite. A team like Washington with a ton of cap room may take on Bosa or Mack if the Chargers offer up a pick to unload him. Kind of like the Brock Osweiler to Cleveland trade a while ago. 

Osweiler was a terrible QB though who no one wanted. He had signed an asinine 4 year / $72 million deal with the Texans in 2016 and got benched for Tom Savage in week 15 of the same year. As opposed to Mack, who is still a high caliber player. The team that acquires Mack - whether by trade or free agency - will want to make use of him.

Russell Wilson is someone who would have made more sense for an Osweiler type move, where the Broncos sent him to the Patriots, Titans, or Commanders along with two day two picks. The new team then would have absorbed that astronomical cap hit for the next two years, and either let him compete with their other QBs or just straight released him. I guess the Broncos valued their picks more than their $85MM though, or the other teams didn't want to be weighed down by the cap hit.

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

During legal tampering, can teams talk to players who haven't been officially released?

I don't think so unless the team gives permission like Denver did with Russell Wilson. It's possible the 49ers did that and are not making the release official until the league new year for cap reasons. 

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

During legal tampering, can teams talk to players who haven't been officially released?

Yes, but only if their contract is expiring. Like teams can't reach out and talk to Jared Goff, he's under contract. But as of Monday they could talk to CJGJ, whose contract expires today.

Arik Armstead is under contract, but it's already been announced he is going to be released by the 49ers because he refused to take a significant pay cut and he has a $28MM cap hit. Teams can't tamper with him though, because even though the Niners announced they're going to cut him, they haven't yet, so he's still under contract. There is a chance with him too that the 49ers wait until June 1st to cut him. They would spread out their dead cap implications to him if they do.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yes, but only if their contract is expiring. Like teams can't reach out and talk to Jared Goff, he's under contract. But as of Monday they could talk to CJGJ, whose contract expires today.

Arik Armstead is under contract, but it's already been announced he is going to be released by the 49ers because he refused to take a significant pay cut and he has a $28MM cap hit. Teams can't tamper with him though, because even though the Niners announced they're going to cut him, they haven't yet, so he's still under contract. There is a chance with him too that the 49ers wait until June 1st to cut him. They would spread out their dead cap implications to him if they do.

Wait, the 49ers asked him to take a pay cut?  I thought only the Lions did that.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Have the 49ers asked four players to do it in two years? 

Not sure- how many have they released?  You hear of teams asking guys to take ay cuts all the time and if they don’t, they cut them.  It isn’t a Lions only thing.

Just now, 4hzglory said:

Not sure- how many have they released?  You hear of teams asking guys to take ay cuts all the time and if they don’t, they cut them.  It isn’t a Lions only thing.

Armstead is the 2nd highest cap hit for the 49ers who are projected to be over the cap. They had to make a move. The Lions are well below the cap and asking players who they just signed to small contracts to take pay cuts. I'm surprised the NFLPA doesn't say something. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions have nearly $30 million in cap space even with the Carlton Davis $14 million cap hit but it was really important to get that extra $2 million in space from Cominsky. 

The bears had the most cap room and were cutting players.  

1 minute ago, 4hzglory said:

The bears had the most cap room and were cutting players.  

And? This literally doesn't prevent the Lions from cutting Cominsky. The Lions cap hit for cutting Cominsky remains the same. If he underperforms he will be cut. The Lions gave him an ultimatum when they are nearly $30 million under the cap.