20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

19 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't think the Pistons would take Sheppard anyway if Weaver is still around. Sheppard was the one guy I was warming to, he's a pretty high floor prospect. At the worst, you're getting a guy that can shoot the hell out of the ball. I know it's a lazy comparison because...white guy... but Austin Reaves seems like a pretty good comparable and I'd take that guy on my team.

The other guys don't really do much for me. Sarr has a bundle of potential but he's another non-shooter and seems like a project, I've seen another Pistons projects the last few years to last a lifetime. Risacher has the coveted archetype but his 3 ball really fell off, Buzelis same as Risacher. Stephon Castle has an intriguing skillset but, again, a guy that can't shoot. Clingan could be a defensive game changer but he seems more like a late lottery type of guy like Lively. Really isn't much there to be excited about.

draft for culture.  there arent any top prospects available at 5.  what type of team do you want to be?  hard nosed and compete?  take devin carter.  do you want to be orlando and draft for length, length, length?  take clingan or buzelis.  

who do they want to be?  other than bad.  lol.

19 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't think the Pistons would take Sheppard anyway if Weaver is still around. Sheppard was the one guy I was warming to, he's a pretty high floor prospect. At the worst, you're getting a guy that can shoot the hell out of the ball. I know it's a lazy comparison because...white guy... but Austin Reaves seems like a pretty good comparable and I'd take that guy on my team.

The other guys don't really do much for me. Sarr has a bundle of potential but he's another non-shooter and seems like a project, I've seen another Pistons projects the last few years to last a lifetime. Risacher has the coveted archetype but his 3 ball really fell off, Buzelis same as Risacher. Stephon Castle has an intriguing skillset but, again, a guy that can't shoot. Clingan could be a defensive game changer but he seems more like a late lottery type of guy like Lively. Really isn't much there to be excited about.

draft for culture.  there arent any top prospects available at 5.  what type of team do you want to be?  hard nosed and compete?  take devin carter.  do you want to be orlando and draft for length, length, length?  take clingan or buzelis.  

who do they want to be?  other than bad.  lol.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

what's the difference between sasser and sheppard?

Never watched Sheppard play.  But he appears to be a much better shooter.  52% from three is bananas, even in college.  

He has more steals, which doesn't necessarily mean he plays good defense.  

Sheppard is about to turn 20 and Sasser is about to turn 24.  

Sheppard's spirit hasn't been crushed yet by playing for a terrible organization.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, buddha said:

what's the difference between sasser and sheppard?

As Del said, his shooting percentage on high volume is nuts. A lot of those were taken from NBA range and he does it off the dribble, catch and shoot, and movement. He shot 60% at the rim even at his height and 50% on pull up 2s as well. The dude had a 70% TS! That’s nuts also. 

Also a solid passer and pick and roll player. All the tools to play next to Cade as a secondary scorer and creator and then run the offense against bench units when Cade rests. Probably not the primary guy, but good enough to run the second unit.

His defensive instincts are pretty awesome as well. It’s not just the steals, he also averaged nearly a block a game. Really good hands on defense and nose for the ball. He’s going to get exploited on switches for sure though due to his size. Maybe comp him to TJ McConnell (short, pesky defender with all around skills) with Klay’s shooting game if he reaches his ceiling.

Unfortunately, I doubt he makes it past Houston who needs this exact player.

Edited by Betrayer

8 hours ago, buddha said:

there's a very good chance that shepphard is jimmer 2.0.

if that's the best we got in this draft, so be it.

This entire lottery is filled with dudes who could be busts. Who knows.

29 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

This entire lottery is filled with dudes who could be busts. Who knows.

since i'm watching the knicks, if you squint hard enough, sheppherd bulks up and becomes jalen brunson and clingan becomes hartenstein.

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I don't believe it. We don't even know who will be making the decisions on free agency. 

All Pistons rumors should be taken with a giant grain of salt for the reason you stated, we have no idea who the decision maker will be.... unless Gores intends on pushing Weaver on to the next POBO in which case the Pistons are even more screwed than I ever imagined.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Assuming because of his off court issues.  So let me ask this.  If the Pistons star player slaps his partner around, are you cutting him?

I'll put it this way.  I've always had a problem with all of the Miguel Cabrera adoration given some of his off field incidents and Chauncey Billups has always had an air of ick factor given his civil suit agreement from his days in Boston.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Assuming because of his off court issues.  So let me ask this.  If the Pistons star player slaps his partner around, are you cutting him?

nope, but it would require some digging into the circumstances.

what you do off the court is your business.  if you present a danger to employees, that's another story.

if youre looking at pro athletes for moral upstanding fellows who never cheat on their wives, do stupid ****, or use "enhancements" you are going to be very disappointed.  it takes a fair amount of self control to be that young, rich, and available to turn down a lot of life's temptations.

that's dofferent than the accusations against bridges, of course.  if bridges beat his girlfriend up then he should face criminal penalties, it shouldnt prevent him from working in his chosen profession if he's good enough to do so.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

I'll put it this way.  I've always had a problem with all of the Miguel Cabrera adoration given some of his off field incidents and Chauncey Billups has always had an air of ick factor given his civil suit agreement from his days in Boston.

settling a case does mean you did anything wrong.  we'll never know what actually happened.  he could be guilty as sin or he could have settled something just to avoid the bad publicity.

we'll never know.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

settling a case does mean you did anything wrong.  we'll never know what actually happened.  he could be guilty as sin or he could have settled something just to avoid the bad publicity.

we'll never know.

That's fair.

37 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Looks like this summers underwhelming trade partner will be Phoenix.  

I have the suspicion that Ishbia is going to run that franchise into the ground.

i love the idea of adding monk in free agency.  i loved it years ago when weaver was intent on collecting failed big men or using cap space on joe harris.

now monk will be expensive.  a good organization would have identified monk (or divencenzo) as potential contributors years ago.  a good organization would identify that type of under-the-radar player this year.

THIS organization trades assets for james wiseman.  which is why the only real acquisition that matters this year is the president of basketball operations.  weaver simply must be replaced.