20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

It's funny, I always hear about the guys in the draft who are "definitely a Heat guy" and I think, "well, why not just draft that guy?" It happened with Bam, Jovic to some extent, Jaquez, and now I'm hearing Devin Carter. 3 and D combo guard who is tough as nails, gets compared to Bruce Brown, and who's in the Heat mold? Sounds like a better fit next to Cade than Ivey already. He's 6'3" with a 6'7" wingspan, so yes, one of Ivey/Sasser/Grimes has to get moved, but let's be honest, we're all talking about doing that already.

Maybe test the waters on Jeremy Grant since Portland should want to get off that contract they signed before Lillard left. Do a pick swap, take on Jeremy's contract, send over Fournier's expiring, and maybe a young prospect like Sasser or Grimes. Portland gets a high pick to build alongside Scoot and they get free of Grant's money. Pistons add a starting caliber PF who can shoot and defend as well as a 22 year old 3 and D guard who can play next to Cade (or off the bench if you keep Ivey).

You still have Ivey/Duren as trade assets along with about 40M in free money to make trades and/or go after free agents such as Claxton/Hartenstein, Trent Jr, Oubre, etc.

Just spit-balling here because who knows what Portland wants to do with Jeremy, but Omari and Bryce discussed a trade for Grant where we gave up even less because it's essentially a "sin contract" right now.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 1:53 PM, Deleterious said:

I will rent the private plane to take him to LA.

From Windy's mouth to the freaking basketball gods ears. Please Jeannie Buss, take him.

• Thanks 1

Since we were talking about KAT.  He will most likely be traded this summer due to the Timberwolves exploding salary situation.  The Pistons would be an ideal trade partner since they could take his entire contract without sending any money back.  1st round pick for KAT basically.

Not sure how I would feel about that.

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Since we were talking about KAT.  He will most likely be traded this summer due to the Timberwolves exploding salary situation.  The Pistons would be an ideal trade partner since they could take his entire contract without sending any money back.  1st round pick for KAT basically.

Not sure how I would feel about that.

I don't love it but I don't hate it when compared to the other stars that might get traded (Lavine, Ingram, etc). Yes, he's soft as hell, but that's less of an issue now that he plays mostly PF instead of Center. He'd also be a really nice spacing fit next Cade. His defense has improved a lot, but then again I'm not sure he'll give that kind of effort on a losing team.

Not sure I'd burn all the cap for it, but maybe a large portion of it. However much the TWolves need to get just under that second apron.

You need the rest of that money to make a couple more moves. Bring in Claxton and make a hard push, including Ivey/Duren and a future first to get Mikal. 

Cade/Sasser?
Mikal/Grimes
Tech/Ausar
KAT/Stew
Claxton/Stew

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I don't love it but I don't hate it when compared to the other stars that might get traded (Lavine, Ingram, etc). Yes, he's soft as hell, but that's less of an issue now that he plays mostly PF instead of Center. He'd also be a really nice spacing fit next Cade. His defense has improved a lot, but then again I'm not sure he'll give that kind of effort on a losing team.

Not sure I'd burn all the cap for it, but maybe a large portion of it. However much the TWolves need to get just under that second apron.

You need the rest of that money to make a couple more moves. Bring in Claxton and make a hard push, including Ivey/Duren and a future first to get Mikal. 

Cade/Sasser?
Mikal/Grimes
Tech/Ausar
KAT/Stew
Claxton/Stew

That is at least a play-in team IMO.  Maybe even 5th/6th seed depending on coaching.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Cade/Sasser?
Mikal/Grimes
Tech/Ausar
KAT/Stew
Claxton/Stew

i dont know how they can get mikael and kat since theyre only able to trade this year's #1.  maybe minny just wants the pick and nothing else and brooklyn really loves ivie and duren?

the bottom line is that there will be plenty of other teams that can top our offers because those teams will have their full compliment of #1 picks to trade/swap.  all we have is potentially the #1 pick in a terrible draft.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i dont know how they can get mikael and kat since theyre only able to trade this year's #1.  maybe minny just wants the pick and nothing else and brooklyn really loves ivie and duren?

the bottom line is that there will be plenty of other teams that can top our offers because those teams will have their full compliment of #1 picks to trade/swap.  all we have is potentially the #1 pick in a terrible draft.

We can now trade a future first farther out. 

Also, if we’re taking on KAT’s contract we’re the ones helping the TWolves. That’s a “sin contract” and you usually get assets back for that rather than giving all the assets away. I understand there would be other suitors, but not all of them can absorb the amount of cap we can. 

I assume Minnesota wants zero salary in return. At $266m their payroll would be well over $300m after luxury taxes. 

They might not even want this year's pick since that will add about $10m to their salary cap. They might take the 2029 pick instead. 

If they don't take this year's pick you could toss that in with Ivey/Duren to sweeten the Brooklyn deal.

kat is probably the best player we can get for our cap space.  and he would work nicely with cade.  cade seems to have that "give me the ball in the 4th quarter" mentality that kat lacks.

kat seems like chris webber.  a better #2 than #1 but immensely talented.

i still think minny will get better offers but if its ONLY cap space maybe we have a chance.  other teams might be able to free some space up in complicated deals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

kat is probably the best player we can get for our cap space.  and he would work nicely with cade.  cade seems to have that "give me the ball in the 4th quarter" mentality that kat lacks.

kat seems like chris webber.  a better #2 than #1 but immensely talented.

i still think minny will get better offers but if its ONLY cap space maybe we have a chance.  other teams might be able to free some space up in complicated deals.

Yeah, it depends if they want 100% cap space or not. We look good if it is.  But we don't even know for sure if they will trade him. But $300m in salary for a year is tough for a team like Minnesota.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Yeah, it depends if they want 100% cap space or not. We look good if it is.  But we don't even know for sure if they will trade him. But $300m in salary for a year is tough for a team like Minnesota.

It seemed much more likely they would move KAT when everyone thought they would flame out in the playoffs. The way they're playing now, they could very well win it all.

Okoro is another guy I would throw a bag at. Really good wing defender that shot 39% from three this year.  His shooting has improved every season. He won't drive much though. 

3 year deal with the third year a team option.   Just offer $5m a year more than what you think Cleveland will match. 

Yes that is an overpay. But we have massive amounts of cap space the next few years and we need players here. Being what is basically a two year deal won't hurt us even with the overpay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

So he was interested in the job (which would be a promotion) and the Pistons were interested in interviewing him, but the Bucks said "no".

That's a sure sign of a place you don't want to work. When they actively try to stunt your career for their own gains, rather than encouraging you to fulfill your career journey even if it means an opportunity elsewhere. Not a company I'd want to work for.

3 hours ago, Betrayer said:

So he was interested in the job (which would be a promotion) and the Pistons were interested in interviewing him, but the Bucks said "no".

That's a sure sign of a place you don't want to work. When they actively try to stunt your career for their own gains, rather than encouraging you to fulfill your career journey even if it means an opportunity elsewhere. Not a company I'd want to work for.

I honestly thought there was a rule teams  had to let you interview for promotions.