20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

How does Gores persuade any competent Basketball exec that he is serious about fixing this team when he doesn't clean house for himself first. I guess if he overpays enough he'll get someone to take the job, but I'd love to see the list of guys who passed on an offer before the hire is made.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

JEIII with an article talking about 5 guys to watch for the president job. Pretty uninspiring.

John Horst - current Milwaukee GM.

John Hammond - We all know him. 

Neil Olshey - Decent but had some accusations in Portland that weren't great. Not real sure how all that ended up.

Bryson Graham - Pelicans assistant GM. He said he is the young up and comer.

The last one, I kid you not, Dwayne Casey.

I don't know much about the last 2 names, meh on Horst and Hammond but for the hilarity of it, I'd love it if Gores hired Casey as PoBO just so I can manically laugh like Walter White in his crawl space (for those who know the Breaking Bad reference) and to see the fallout from fans and media to that decision. Only Gores hiring himself or Arn Tellem as President would be funnier/sadder?

Edited by NYLion
  • Sad 1

So they hire a new President but he has to keep Weaver? How is that a "sweeping" change. Imagine going 74-244 and actually keeping your job? This would be like coming in late to your job like 3-4 times a week for 4 years and getting a vote of confidence that your job is safe. Tom Gores ladies and gentlemen.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

still a chance the pobo comes in and cleans house.  

saves gores the responsibility of doing it himself.

That's a thought I had, too.  Does Gores not want to fire Weaver himself for some reason?  I guess I'm not sure that really is the angle, but who knows.

Doesn't matter if Weaver is fired or not. Pretty obvious the new guy is in charge and will run things. 

We all wanted someone other than Weaver running things and now we will have that. Means nothing to me if Gores wants to let Weaver hang around until his contact is up.

34 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Doesn't matter if Weaver is fired or not. Pretty obvious the new guy is in charge and will run things. 

We all wanted someone other than Weaver running things and now we will have that. Means nothing to me if Gores wants to let Weaver hang around until his contact is up.

Or it could go like it did with the Wings when Ilitch brought back Yzerman. There was a show of solidarity with Holland but Kenny pretty immediately made his own exit. The difference being that Holland still had enough credibility in the league to land another gig. Does Weaver?

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or it could go like it did with the Wings when Ilitch brought back Yzerman. There was a show of solidarity with Holland but Kenny pretty immediately made his own exit. The difference being that Holland still had enough credibility in the league to land another gig. Does Weaver?

Not as a GM.  I don't think he will have any problems getting another assistant job though.  

• Like 1

They said they're going to do it quickly, but if James isn't just making up names and they're actually going after guys from Orlando and Milwaukee, then it probably doesn't get done until at least after the first round of the playoffs. Then that guy has to come in and decide if he wants to keep Monty and Gores, then conduct a replacements search, which means all those good replacement names will be gone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Never liked the Blake trade.  But I had total respect for that guy trying to play that Milwaukee series on one knee.  

And I give him props for playing hard and not complaining, but yeah, the trade was a desperation shot that fell way short. The rest of the team was still too far away for Blake to get them anywhere meaningful.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

As an Edmonton Oilers and Pistons fan who isn't the biggest Holland fan although he has done some real good in Edmonton, Holland had an infinite amount of credibility compared to Weaver. Putting aside his accomplishments in the first half of his Wings tenure in particular, Holland was also one of the most respected GMs in the league and was massively connected throughout NHL circles. Weaver will be lucky to find another NBA job at least as head GM, he might land an assistant job perhaps back with Presti in OKC.

Edited by NYLion

18 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Never liked the Blake trade.  But I had total respect for that guy trying to play that Milwaukee series on one knee.  

Indeed.  Hey also had a 3rd team all NBA selection while a Piston.  The ending was brutal, but I can understand his frustration with getting kicked to a team that had gotten itself into a quagmire.

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Maybe I could interest you in a slightly used Klay Thompson model?

0-10 from the field tonight.  0 points.  4 rebounds 1 assist 1 TO.

we can sign him AND trade for draymond green!  

heck, then trade for zack lavine.  this team will totally compete for the play in spot next year.  success!