20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

IMG_0072.thumb.jpeg.007146e7158c696dbd63330c89c54ce1.jpeg

A pair of those Piston 28 game losing streaks added to the Lions would get them in the neighborhood.

The fact that Weaver ain’t fired yet just tells you how directionless Drunk Uncle Tommy is.

On 4/16/2024 at 12:15 AM, NYLion said:

So they hire a new President but he has to keep Weaver? How is that a "sweeping" change. Imagine going 74-244 and actually keeping your job? This would be like ...

Matt Millen record with the Lions (7+ years): 31-84.

Including the completion of his last season with the Lions, when he was fired mid-season and they ended up 0-16 that year:

31-97.

Lions record before Millen signed a 5-year contract extension in August, 2005: 16-38

Post extension: 15-59.

Sam released a new big board today.

RANK PLAYER TEAM POS. DRAFT DAY AGE HT.
Alexandre Sarr
Perth Wildcats
F/C
7-1
Nikola Topic
Mega
G
6-6
Stephon Castle
Connecticut
W
6-6
Reed Sheppard
Kentucky
G
6-3
Donovan Clingan
Connecticut
C
7-2
Matas Buzelis
G League Ignite
W
6-10
Ron Holland
G League Ignite
W
6-8
Zaccharie Risacher
JL Bourg
F
6-8
Cody Williams
Colorado
W/F
6-8
Robert Dillingham
Kentucky
G

Topic and Wemby are gonna be a nice combo. He can set Wemby up on offense and Wemby can cover for his poor defense.

Rough draft for the Pistons. Risacher takes a big dive and nobody in the top 5+ other than Sheppard can hit a three.

Maybe you take a chance on Sheppard's poor size, length, and athleticism not killing him since his raw defensive numbers are so good despite those concerns. He can certainly shoot, but you could just be getting Sasser 2.0, except with a top 5 pick this time. If you do pick him then it's time for some trades (Ivey and/or Sasser).

I'm probably still leaning towards the idea of drafting Sarr and using Duren in a trade package, but that could also blow up in your face because Sarr looks really raw. You'd definitely have to bring in a vet rebounder and rim protector (not Wiseman) to give Sarr time to develop and show him the ropes. I suppose you could just let Sarr come off the bench behind Duren and make the decision at the deadline, but you still need a veteran 3rd big (again, not Wiseman).

I suppose you could also trade the pick. It won't net you much on its own, but maybe in combination with Ivey (and/or Duren) and a future pick to get you an actual player (Mikal or something).

22 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Topic and Wemby are gonna be a nice combo. He can set Wemby up on offense and Wemby can cover for his poor defense.

Rough draft for the Pistons. Risacher takes a big dive and nobody in the top 5+ other than Sheppard can hit a three.

Maybe you take a chance on Sheppard's poor size, length, and athleticism not killing him since his raw defensive numbers are so good despite those concerns. He can certainly shoot, but you could just be getting Sasser 2.0, except with a top 5 pick this time. If you do pick him then it's time for some trades (Ivey and/or Sasser).

I'm probably still leaning towards the idea of drafting Sarr and using Duren in a trade package, but that could also blow up in your face because Sarr looks really raw. You'd definitely have to bring in a vet rebounder and rim protector (not Wiseman) to give Sarr time to develop and show him the ropes. I suppose you could just let Sarr come off the bench behind Duren and make the decision at the deadline, but you still need a veteran 3rd big (again, not Wiseman).

I suppose you could also trade the pick. It won't net you much on its own, but maybe in combination with Ivey (and/or Duren) and a future pick to get you an actual player (Mikal or something).

it takes like 5 picks/pick swaps to get a good player nowadays.  mikael bridges will be a pretty hot commodity if the nets look to move him.  not sure the pistons have the ammo.  

unless they get the #1 pick and the nets love sarr.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

it takes like 5 picks/pick swaps to get a good player nowadays.  mikael bridges will be a pretty hot commodity if the nets look to move him.  not sure the pistons have the ammo.  

unless they get the #1 pick and the nets love sarr.

They’re probably going to lose Claxton or simply not want to pay him. Getting a rookie (or Duren) could be appealing since they’d be on rookie contracts. 

I’ll say it once again this year - the Pistons are the victim of identity theft. Miami is now the “going to work” team. Call the cops, or better yet steal Quinn to be our coach this offseason after making Hammond the POBO. 

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I hope the Tobias Harris stuff to Detroit is just his agent trying to drum up interest.

It will make more sense when Gores reveals that his choice for new President of Basketball Operations is Blake Griffin.  

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:09 PM, Hongbit said:

It will make more sense when Gores reveals that his choice for new President of Basketball Operations is Blake Griffin.  

Well, Drummond is still an active player, and I would guess that would exclude him from such a role.

JEIII has a new article today detailing what he would do this summer.

He trades the 2024 #1 pick, Ivey, and Duren to Brooklyn for Bridges, Dorian Finney-Smith, and the first round pick Phoenix owes Brooklyn (Top 14 protected).

In free agency he would sign Nic Claxton, Delon Wright, and Thomas Bryant.  So this would be the roster next year:

2024-25 roster

Guards: Cade Cunningham, Marcus Sasser, Quentin Grimes, Delon Wright

Wings: Mikal Bridges, Dorian Finney-Smith, Simone Fontecchio, Ausar Thompson

Bigs: Isaiah Stewart, Nic Claxton, Thomas Bryant

Not terrible.  Little thin at guard.  I think a backup guard would be in the starting 5 with that roster.  But they probably win 30-35 games.

My problem is where do they go after this.  You are really counting on Cade and Thompson to improve for that roster to improve.  

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

would brooklyn do that?

I don't know.  Might depend on other offers they receive.  

I still have hope for Ivey so I would like to keep him.  I would be fine moving the pick + Duren for something though.  

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I still have hope for Ivey so I would like to keep him.  I would be fine moving the pick + Duren for something though.  

one of the issues with drafting sarr would be how he would fit with duren.  not sure why brooklyn would then take that on.

but who knows.  they could see sarr as a potential floor spacing big.

9 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Hindsight is easy but it would have been good if they moved Ivey last off-season before he set foot on the court with Cade again.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

He trades the 2024 #1 pick, Ivey, and Duren to Brooklyn for Bridges, Dorian Finney-Smith, and the first round pick Phoenix owes Brooklyn (Top 14 protected).

In free agency he would sign Nic Claxton, Delon Wright, and Thomas Bryant.  So this would be the roster next year:

Not terrible.  Little thin at guard.  I think a backup guard would be in the starting 5 with that roster.  But they probably win 30-35 games.

My problem is where do they go after this.  You are really counting on Cade and Thompson to improve for that roster to improve.  

Yeah, this is it for me.  Where do they go from this season?  Who is going to get this team onto the right track going forward?  Forget the playoffs next season.  I would punt them for the next season also if it meant a better more sustainable ceiling.  And that might mean Cunningham isn't a part of the next winner in Detroit.  Heck, that might mean none of the current "core" are a part of the next playoff team.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The core of this whole thing is Mikal Bridges, and although it's arguably a slight overpay for a guy who's never been an All-Star, I'd still do it. He's exactly what this team needs, from his defense to his shooting to his iron man availability.

As for what we're losing, I'm ok with it because I don't buy Ivey next to Cade with his streaky shooting and poor defense, and we don't have the luxury of keeping him to be a 6th man. Duren may be a better version of Drummond, but I'm not sure if he'll ever space the floor or protect the paint, and I think you have to do one of those two things to be a playoff Center in today's NBA. As for the pick, we all know it's a weak draft.

His other moves are OK. I haven't run the cap numbers to see if that maxes us out, but let's assume it does.

Centers: I would also have Hartenstein on my list for that Center spot if Claxton gets too pricey. Hartenstein might be cheaper, although his value is going up with his playoff performance.

Guards: I'm not sure I like Sasser, Grimes, and Wright as the other 3 guards. It all depends on how comfortable you are with Wright as your backup PG (and starter for 20 games when Cade is out). I might look to move Sasser (maybe with a couple seconds) to bring in an actual backup PG. We should also keep in mind that Ausar works at SG in lineups with other guys who can space (Bridges, Tek, Stew).

They were always counting on Cade + one of the other 3 to pop or this whole things goes down the drain. Nothing new there. However, none of these contracts are bad (depending upon what Claxton/Hartenstein costs) and this team would probably be good enough to allow our pick to finally convey to the Knicks. That opens up our flexibility even more for future trades to bring in another All-Star.

• Like 1