Need Advice: Top three Lions of all time.

17 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

2014 Stafford had Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, and Pettigrew who was a 1st round pick. Is that worse than what he had on the Rams? Johnson, Tate, prime Marvin Jones, Golladay, Hockenson, Pettigrew, **** even Ebron. 

Stafford rarely had good defenses on the Lions. 2014 was the exception. Most of the time they were in the late 20's. In 2020 the defense was historically bad. 

image.png.8498838e8e10ea49ca3c37e397530f90.png

Sorry, but even in 2014 with Calvin and Golden I'm still taking the 2023 offense over that. Still is we say 2014 was the best teams that Stafford played on as a Lion, it also is the team that did the best with Stafford. 11 and 5, 2nd in the North, just one game behind the Packers. And had a legit shot of winning the playoff game against the Cowboys until the refs picked up the flag.

Which kinda sort answers my question: Could Stafford have done better when a better team around him? Well, one of the best the Lions managed to put together with him at the helm nearly won a playoff game... so probably yeah. Does this means Stafford > Goff? Of course not. That's not the question I'm trying to answer here.

It's an interesting "what if" question, but that's all it is. Goff's our QB and I'm very happy with that. He's got more playoff wins than any Lions QB has in more than half a century so what's not to like love about that? If the Rams offered to trade Stafford for Goff straight up right now, I wouldn't do it. So I'm not arguing that Stafford is the better QB or Goff is just a system QB or that Goff's merely benefiting from a good team around him.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

image.png.8498838e8e10ea49ca3c37e397530f90.png

Sorry, but even in 2014 with Calvin and Golden I'm still taking the 2023 offense over that. Still is we say 2014 was the best teams that Stafford played on as a Lion, it also is the team that did the best with Stafford. 11 and 5, 2nd in the North, just one game behind the Packers. And had a legit shot of winning the playoff game against the Cowboys until the refs picked up the flag.

Which kinda sort answers my question: Could Stafford have done better when a better team around him? Well, one of the best the Lions managed to put together with him at the helm nearly won a playoff game... so probably yeah. Does this means Stafford > Goff? Of course not. That's not the question I'm trying to answer here.

It's an interesting "what if" question, but that's all it is. Goff's our QB and I'm very happy with that. He's got more playoff wins than any Lions QB has in more than half a century so what's not to like love about that? If the Rams offered to trade Stafford for Goff straight up right now, I wouldn't do it. So I'm not arguing that Stafford is the better QB or Goff is just a system QB or that Goff's merely benefiting from a good team around him.

The defense carried that 2014 team. Stafford had a 85 QB rating that year. That was worse than any Goff year minus his rookie year. From 2012 through 2014 Stafford has QB ratings of 79, 84, and 85. Worse than Goff when Goff when he was ran out of town. After his first year with Jim Bob Cooter, his QB rating goes up to 97 and Stafford continued to get better without Johnson. 

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The defense carried that 2014 team. Stafford had a 85 QB rating that year. That was worse than any Goff year minus his rookie year. From 2012 through 2014 Stafford has QB ratings of 79, 84, and 85. Worse than Goff when Goff when he was ran out of town. After his first year with Jim Bob Cooter, his QB rating goes up to 97 and Stafford continued to get better without Johnson. 

Okay, let me simplify the question. Above I posted the starting offensive roster of the Lions in 2014 and 2023 sans QB along with the HC and OC. Taking the QB out of the question, which of those rosters/coaching combos would you pick?

In this situation you can't pick pieces and parts... just all of the 2014 people listed above or all of the 2023 people listed above. To make explicitly clear: If you pick 2023 that does NOT mean Goff isn't good and only got far because of the supporting cast. If you pick 2014 it does NOT mean that Stafford is a bum who got carried. This is not a commentary on the QB right now. I'm just asking... in a QB vacuum (ie, not QB around) which of those two groups would you pick?