4/26/24 1:10PM Royals @ Tigers

13 hours ago, casimir said:

I don’t care what Hiura is doing in Toledo.  He’s an absolute nonentity to me in terms of an answer at 1B for the Tigers.

Torkelson has been disappointing this season, no question.  He still has a chance at  a long term future with the Tigers.

Exactly. I'm also old enough to remember when Tyler Nevin was raking against AAA pitching, only to get the call to Detroit and become a punchline with the fanbase. People are badly underestimating that possibility with Huira... we've seen this movie before.

It's an unsatisfying answer to the impulses of the fanbase, who apparently would love nothing more than the DFA the guy apparently, but the best version of the 2024 Detroit Tigers (and future Detroit Tigers teams) is one where Spencer Torkelson is meeting or exceeding expectations. We can all be frustrated and disappointed with his start thus far while recognizing this fact.

Edited by mtutiger

And what problem does it solve?   York’s position as a 1:1 is meaningless now.  He’s the 1B for the time being.  This year is about finding out which of these guys can play. Not just him but everybody. Of all the slots to fill going forward 1B and DH are not a concern for me. Once they get their definitive answer it will be done. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

And what problem does it solve?   York’s position as a 1:1 is meaningless now.  He’s the 1B for the time being.  This year is about finding out which of these guys can play. Not just him but everybody. Of all the slots to fill going forward 1B and DH are not a concern for me. Once they get their definitive answer it will be done. 

1:1 is indeed meaningless at this point.  But most of that abridged draft has looked not so good if it has gotten to the MLB level.