4/26/24 1:10PM Royals @ Tigers

I wish we had an organization that really cared about winning more games this year. But they don’t have many offensive levers to pull. If these guys can’t hit, you are essentially shuffling deck chairs.

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

Tork was a 1-1 pick who could turn it around at anytime. Hiura is a 4-A player who will hit 3 home runs in the first week and then crater into what he is. How do you think Scott Harris, the captain of lower expectations and development, is going to handle it?

I would add that there was a lot of teeth gnashing by folks last season complaining about Colt Keith not getting called up.... now that he's here, he's not only bad, but he's worse at the dish than Torkelson is (ie. the guy everyone wants to apparently send to Toledo and/or DFA).

It's not a defense of Tork, he has to be much better. His piss poor defense the last couple of weeks was sort of a breaking point for me. Having said that, like Mike McMahon during the Joey Harrington era, the next hot thing down in Toledo isn't always the answer.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kdog said:

Tork was a 1-1 pick who could turn it around at anytime. Hiura is a 4-A player who will hit 3 home runs in the first week and then crater into what he is. How do you think Scott Harris, the captain of lower expectations and development, is going to handle it?

Tork is only good for hitting the ball. Very limited base running speed, below average defense and not much else going for him. If he's not going be consistent at the plate, he's pretty useless. Sometimes early draft picks just don't work out. I hate to see it and say it but when is enough, enough?

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Tork is only good for hitting the ball. Very limited base running speed, below average defense and not much else going for him. If he's not going be consistent at the plate, he's pretty useless. Sometimes early draft picks just don't work out. I hate to see it and say it but when is enough, enough?

Enough is enough time is at least a year away imo.

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

I wish we had an organization that really cared about winning more games this year. But they don’t have many offensive levers to pull. If these guys can’t hit, you are essentially shuffling deck chairs.

Some people saw this coming with the limited amount of moves Harris made in the off-season. Last year, it was see how far the kids came along, shed Miggys contract and use that money for some quality bats. We got Canha. Good player but not quite enough. Is it time to trade some pitchers for some bats? All we're doing is wasting very good pitchers outings. There HAS to be teams looking for some starting pitching.

Cabrera is gone. There has to be consequences for poor performance or it's a slap in the face to the guys who do work hard to make adjustments. Carpenter for example had a rough September but has been good in April. Greene is playing his best ever baseball.

These guys have options. Maybe some bus rides in the minors will screw their heads on straight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

When the situation changes to the point where the opportunity cost of giving up on the 1-1 player is lower than it is to roll with another option.

Keston Huira, who tbf may or may not still have something to prove in the big leagues, just isn't gonna move the needle on that front. Not even close.

It's going to take some combination of time and lack of improvement along with another legit option opening up (either internally, through trade or in a future offseason)... until that changes, they are going to see what they have. And are right to do so.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Some people saw this coming with the limited amount of moves Harris made in the off-season. Last year, it was see how far the kids came along, shed Miggys contract and use that money for some quality bats. We got Canha. Good player but not quite enough. Is it time to trade some pitchers for some bats? All we're doing is wasting very good pitchers outings. There HAS to be teams looking for some starting pitching.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shopped some pitchers for bats, quite honestly. Especially if they remain relatively close in the division.

Just now, theroundsquare said:

that would be a surprise to me.  it seems like robbing peter to pay paul.  for better or worse i expect the tigers to ride it out.  i echo the wish for tork to hit 7th or whatever 

Jobe seems like a key factor to me on that front.... if he moves quickly and were to manage to start to knock on the door of the big leagues (not completely out of the question), it opens up some possibilities IMO

1 minute ago, theroundsquare said:

that would be a surprise to me.  it seems like robbing peter to pay paul.  for better or worse i expect the tigers to ride it out.  i echo the wish for tork to hit 7th or whatever 

This is where modern day managers drive me crazy. They used to move guys around in the lineup, depending who was hot or cold. Not so much anymore, they seldom shake things up. Same with relief pitchers, they all have certain innings they pitch.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Jobe seems like a key factor to me on that front.... if he moves quickly and were to manage to start to knock on the door of the big leagues (not completely out of the question), it opens up some possibilities IMO

Manning too. The Tigers have 7 or 8 starting pitchers, a couple in the minors and a couple in the bullpen. And we're having problems scoring runs. We were bit by SP injuries, so we're probably gunshy on trading any away but jeezzz....

If Kelly has to go on the IL, the already bad catching situation gets much worse. Maybe rogers couldn’t repeat 2023, but I was expecting more. You are already carrying 3-4 empty lineup spots.

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

and don't get me wrong, i'm not saying hiura needs to come up.  but he's playing well at toledo.  tork is scuffling.  i doubt the tigers care. 

I don’t care what Hiura is doing in Toledo.  He’s an absolute nonentity to me in terms of an answer at 1B for the Tigers.

Torkelson has been disappointing this season, no question.  He still has a chance at  a long term future with the Tigers.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Canha can play 1st base. At least move Tork down in the line-up. He's not producing enough for the 3rd spot or cleanup.

The top 3 should be a combination of Greene, Canha, and Carpenter.  After that, I’m not sure anyone has a claim to one slot or another right now.  So, he can be moved down from 3, that’s fine.  But how do you suggest they line up 4 through 9?

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

The top 3 should be a combination of Greene, Canha, and Carpenter.  After that, I’m not sure anyone has a claim to one slot or another right now.  So, he can be moved down from 3, that’s fine.  But how do you suggest they line up 4 through 9?

I'm actually not opposed to putting Javy in the two hole and putting Carp at cleanup...Tork needs to not be in the top 4 at this rate, and Javy's actually showing better plate approach and contact rate, and thats coming from a dissapoint Javy basher such as myself.  

First thing we need is to take a deep breath. Secondly I would like them to bat Tork lower and give him an extended run at DH only. Like 15 to 20 games to clear his mind. 

Bring Hitua up for the 15 to 20 games Tork is DH to maybe add a spark which is all Hirua is good for. Once Tork hits move him back to first. If at seasons end he still hits only so so and continues to field poorly then consider him a DH going into 2025 planning. 

Continue to play Meadows and Keith at least through May. No better options. Maybe platoon them for a couple weeks for a mini breather. Release a little pressure. 

No reason to trade pitching now. I love Verling in RF every day but until Jung is ready or Urshela returns play him at third. Sigh. But soonest possible get Jung out up for MLB evaluation. Get ALL of Al’s kids evaluated this year so we can put a known team on the field in 2025. 

And do not panic at the Trade deadline. 

3 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

Manning is going to push one of these pitchers off the team... at least by the trade deadline.

IMO.

Whether that's Maeda or Flaherty - I would guess Flaherty - I don't know... that's not going to get a huge bat back, in fact, probably nothing more than a single-A guy...

But I would expect only small moves like this at least until the offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

There's this possibility too...

If you want to DH Tork for a short spell but not play Cahna at 1B every day, Ibanez has played 1B 22 games in the last three years and is on the 40 man. He’s rehabing at Toledo now. Can play third too to get Vierling back into the OF if you want to sit Meadows a few days. Not a solution, but a possible temp plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Too many guys not hitting. Send Meadows and Keith down for a couple of weeks? I really have no idea, make a trade?

2 hours ago, kdog said:

If Kelly has to go on the IL, the already bad catching situation gets much worse. Maybe rogers couldn’t repeat 2023, but I was expecting more. You are already carrying 3-4 empty lineup spots.

Yeah, Rogers is struggling too. We have respected pitching coaches, who's coaching our hitters? It just seems like too many hitters struggling for the entire season, so far.

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

First thing we need is to take a deep breath. Secondly I would like them to bat Tork lower and give him an extended run at DH only. Like 15 to 20 games to clear his mind. 

Bring Hitua up for the 15 to 20 games Tork is DH to maybe add a spark which is all Hirua is good for. Once Tork hits move him back to first. If at seasons end he still hits only so so and continues to field poorly then consider him a DH going into 2025 planning. 

Continue to play Meadows and Keith at least through May. No better options. Maybe platoon them for a couple weeks for a mini breather. Release a little pressure. 

No reason to trade pitching now. I love Verling in RF every day but until Jung is ready or Urshela returns play him at third. Sigh. But soonest possible get Jung out up for MLB evaluation. Get ALL of Al’s kids evaluated this year so we can put a known team on the field in 2025. 

And do not panic at the Trade deadline. 

Who gets kicked off of the 40 and active roster for Hiura?  What do you do with him after you puts Torkelson back at 1B?

I think you've got to roll with Keith.  He's shown in the past that it takes some time for him to get going at a new level.  I think some of his nontraditonal metrics show he's had some bad luck on batted balls.  A .206 BABIP (vs league average .290), exit velocity of 88.2 (vs 88.3), hard hit rate of 31.7% (vs 39.1%).  I guess I would expect the exit velocity and hard hit rate to be more in tune with each other.  But his SO% is better than league average (18.8% vs 22.5%) and his walk rate is close to league average (7.1% vs 8.9%).  He's going to look overmatched at times, he's a rookie.  But I think there's a bit more to his numbers rather than being over his head.

Meadows is a different case.  He has a line drive rate of 3% vs league average of 23.9%.  That really sticks out.  Exit velocity and hard hit rate are below averages, so, sure, the chicken and the egg are there with the line drive rate.  But then he gives supreme defense and can cause chaos on the base paths if/when he gets there.

Jung still strikes out too much at AAA.  That has to be fixed before promotion.