4/27/24 6:10PM Royals @ Tigers

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The best thing today, for our long term future, is that Casey Mize is not showing any signs of post TJ struggles.  He's not totally back yet, not 100%, but he's not struggling and that bodes well for the Tigers future.  

He is two years out so his command should be a little better than a guy who came back faster, but everyone is different. If the command does improve, he'll be a force - if not, he can still keep them in a game.

2 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

Gibby's no where close to CMo's constant slurpfest...hell, Gibby's already either been critical or ominously silent after bad things happening this game all night; whereas CMo would have made excuses and spun spun spun it all into a poop sandwich of "positivity".

A couple of the IF misplays were bad hops/bad luck. When you see an IF with his glove low and the ball hits him in the forearm as often as not he was positioned right and the ball came up - it happens. Colt and Javy each had one in Tampa. They have been sloppy but it looks even worse when they're getting bad bounces at the same time too.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

A couple of the IF misplays were bad hops/bad luck. When you see an IF with his glove low and the ball hits him in the forearm as often as not he was positioned right and the ball came up - it happens. Colt and Javy each had one in Tampa. They have been sloppy but it looks even worse when they're getting bad bounces at the same time too.

Send Nabozny down?

13 hours ago, TheWordIsBird said:

I almost feel bad for Toledo Tokerson at this point. 

I don’t know, this is a completely amateur arm chair opinion, but I wonder if he’s thinking too much or waiting for an absolutely perfect pitch and it’s simply working against him right now.

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Vierling gets a lot of flack (particularly from certain podcast hosts), but even with Maton and Sands out of the organization, I'd rather have Vierling than Gregory Soto. And it's not even close

Soto drove me bonkers with his lack of control.  Sure, maybe he threw hard and had great stuff.  Nobody knew where the pitch was going.  His over 5.0 BB/9 isn’t anything I want out of a pitcher, in particular a pitcher that is used in higher leverage situations.  Kudos to him, he got that to 3.3 last season.  But it’s back to the typical 5.0+ neighborhood this season.  Nope, no thanks, pass.

It’s funny you mention podcast hosts about Vierling.  There were podcast hosts that slurped Soto’s credentials, and I just couldn’t understand it.  Again, throws hard, great stuff, can’t throw strikes.  So, great, two time all star, mostly to fulfill the every team represented requirement.  Whatever.

I think right now that Vierling looks comfortable enough at 3B and the plate to play him more often than not right now.  Greene, Canha, and Carpenter should be in the lineup every day hitting 1 through 3.  Perez seems to have a bit of a spurt right now.  Vierling is an everyday player right now.  Heck, maybe that’s the top 5 in the order right now?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casimir said:

Soto drove me bonkers with his lack of control.  Sure, maybe he threw hard and had great stuff.  Nobody knew where the pitch was going.  His over 5.0 BB/9 isn’t anything I want out of a pitcher, in particular a pitcher that is used in higher leverage situations.  Kudos to him, he got that to 3.3 last season.  But it’s back to the typical 5.0+ neighborhood this season.  Nope, no thanks, pass.

It’s funny you mention podcast hosts about Vierling.  There were podcast hosts that slurped Soto’s credentials, and I just couldn’t understand it.  Again, throws hard, great stuff, can’t throw strikes.  So, great, two time all star, mostly to fulfill the every team represented requirement.  Whatever.

I think right now that Vierling looks comfortable enough at 3B and the plate to play him more often than not right now.  Greene, Canha, and Carpenter should be in the lineup every day hitting 1 through 3.  Perez seems to have a bit of a spurt right now.  Vierling is an everyday player right now.  Heck, maybe that’s the top 5 in the order right now?

Can he play first base?         Honestly, I just don't know how much more Torkelson we need to see at first.  He's brutal. 

On 4/28/2024 at 8:17 AM, casimir said:

And you cannot ignore the context that the Tigers have turned into a really good organization at developing pitching.... even if Soto were performing better than his numbers show this year, the overall results of the pen this year have been stellar. There's not a single person, Joey Wentz included, that would be easy to switch out for Soto at this point.

Vierling is a really useful player who has a lot of potential, particularly when you look at Statcast metrics.... he may or may not put it all together or be an everyday player material, but he adds a lot of value to this roster with his versatility and his speed. And his ability to make hard contact at the plate.

Overall, the trade tends to get put down upon because people overvalued Gregory Soto IMO.... 

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

.. he may or may not put it all together or be an everyday player material, but he adds a lot of value to this roster with his versatility and his speed. And his ability to make hard contact at the plate.

I would have like to see Vierling get enough time at 3B to see if he improved there (he was pretty badly exposed on the lead off double yesterday!), but I don't think that is going to happen with the addition of Urshella.