4/29/24 6:40PM Cardinals @ Tigers

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Maeda moved to Wednesday. Flaherty and Manning(27th man probably) tomorrow.

Does the 27th man have to be a pitcher? Maeda was supposed to go today and Flaherty tomorrow. Stick with that rotation and use the 27th man as a catcher?

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Does the 27th man have to be a pitcher? Maeda was supposed to go today and Flaherty tomorrow. Stick with that rotation and use the 27th man as a catcher?

I don’t think it has to be a pitcher.  I think it can be anyone on the 40 man roster.

The bullpen should be in good shape.  There are a few Thursdays off here (last week, this week, next week).  They could simply push the SPs back a day and use another bat for the doubleheader.  It just ends up as someone else for Hinch to PH or PR with.  Or there is the catching situation (which as @gehringer_2 mentioned, at this point just put Kelly on the IL and call up Dingler).

On the other hand, recall Manning and let him pitch another MLB game.  He’s pitching fine in the early going and so this is a bit of a reward for him.  This helps reduce the workload on the starting 5 by another game, for whatever that is worth. Everyone gets pushed back another day, so a little extra early season rest.

Cardinals are not a big running team, only 12 steals against 5 CS - tied for 4th lowest SB in the majors. If Kelly were to give it a go, StL is a better choice than KC.

As it works out with Thursday on off day - if they DL Carson, Dingler probably only has to catch the one game of the DH. Jake got today off, if he catches one Tues and on Wed, he will get Thursday off, he can catch Friday, Carson could be off the DL by Sat. and you really haven't had to use Dingler again or push Rogers' workload. OTOH, if Kelly end up out for a while, Dingler is going to have to play a little and that's just the breaks.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I don’t think it has to be a pitcher.  I think it can be anyone on the 40 man roster.

The bullpen should be in good shape.  There are a few Thursdays off here (last week, this week, next week).  They could simply push the SPs back a day and use another bat for the doubleheader.  It just ends up as someone else for Hinch to PH or PR with.  Or there is the catching situation (which as @gehringer_2 mentioned, at this point just put Kelly on the IL and call up Dingler).

On the other hand, recall Manning and let him pitch another MLB game.  He’s pitching fine in the early going and so this is a bit of a reward for him.  This helps reduce the workload on the starting 5 by another game, for whatever that is worth. Everyone gets pushed back another day, so a little extra early season rest.

Yeah, if Kelly is hurt, the Tigers need another catcher anyway. Kelly hasn't played in several days so they could back date his IL stint. That makes sense. And to be honest, I would rather see Manning that Maeda. The Tigers lack of catchers depth is showing. 

18 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Winning one of two tomorrow will guarantee .500 for April! Huzzah

If the idea behind this is boy what a good start for a change, then I would consider March/April taken together, which websites already do, in which case we are already there!

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the idea behind this is boy what a good start for a change, then I would consider March/April taken together, which websites already do, in which case we are already there!

I think with a team that is pitching heavy you are more then likely going to start off the season better then must hitting heavy teams so when the hitting in general gets better with the warmer weather will the pitching hold up at this level? I think thats the 20 million dollar question

I think pitching heavy wins period. The question of holding up is all about the high injury probability and nobody seems to have a  handle on that. I have to wonder with all the sci/tech this this org is bringing if they are just doing it 100% cynically, teaching guys to max out regardless of the consequences, or if and how much they are mixing in a component of trying to figure out how to keep guys healthy. On one hand, the conventional wisdom is that injuries are tracking up in the pursuit of veto and there is no question the Tigers pursue veto - OTOH, there has been a fair amount of reporting that the Tigers pursuit of veto is largely around increasing leg drive, which in theory at least could give you more velo with less arm strain. I guess we find out how many guys are still standing come August!

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think pitching heavy wins period. The question of holding up is all about the high injury probability and nobody seems to have a  handle on that. I have to wonder with all the sci/tech this this org is bringing if they are just doing it 100% cynically, teaching guys to max out regardless of the consequences, or if and how much they are mixing in a component of trying to figure out how to keep guys healthy. On one hand, the conventional wisdom is that injuries are tracking up in the pursuit of veto and there is no question the Tigers pursue veto - OTOH, there has been a fair amount of reporting that the Tigers pursuit of veto is largely around increasing leg drive, which in theory at least could give you more velo with less arm strain. I guess we find out how many guys are still standing come August!

the fact that it seemed like every pitcher added velo during the off season has me concerned a little... stuff like that doesnt always come without some cost

Edited by Toddwert

49 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think pitching heavy wins period.

So of course I had to look into this ...

Pulled down from FanGraphs all teams since 1901, a total of 2,646 in the AL and NL only.

Isolated two types of teams: all with with good pitching (better than 95 ERA-) and below average hitting (less than 95 wRC+), and those teams with below average pitching (worse than 105 ERA-) and good hitting (better than 105 wRC+).

Of total teams, there are 288 in the first category and only 50 in the second. It's apparently a lot less likely to have good hitting with pitching worse than 105 ERA-, than it is to have bad hitting with pitching better than 95 ERA-.

Anyhow, here's how it comes out:

• 288 teams with good pitching and bad hitting: record of 23,380-21,338 = .523 WPCT
  • 50 teams with bad pitching and good hitting: record of 3,728-3,589 = .509 WPCT

So it appears your hypothesis has some merit to it!