5/21/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

Just now, AZTigersfan said:

I agree, just hoping you can extend this patience and logical thinking to other young players. 

He's not a position player who plays everyday. A player like Tork has a much shorter leash, or he should have. With his limited abilities, hitting one home run a month won't keep him in the old English D.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's not a position player who plays everyday. A player like Tork has a much shorter leash, or he should have. With his limited abilities, hitting one home run a month won't keep him in the old English D.

Tork will have around 25-30 homers again this year. Mize has never been as advertised. That nasty splitter hasn’t materialized and may never show up. Of the 2 he’s been more disappointing for a 1/1 pick due to the missed time and lack of swing and miss pitches. I’m rooting for the kid but he’s not lived up to the billing either. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Tough day for Casey.  Hopefully this is just a bump in the road and he bounces back next time out.  

His velo was good, but they were hitting all his pitches, FB, Slider, Split -- they had hits on all of them. In his first season the issue was his fastball was flat and hittable. He had fixed that so far this season. His FB vertical break numbers aren't bad tonight but it only got a couple swing and miss.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

His velo was good, but they were hitting all his pitches, FB, Slider, Split -- they had hits on all of them.

Meh...it happens. Sometimes decent pitchers don't make it out of the 1st inning...but, yeah, it sucks.

25 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Mize is still what a year or two or three away from being the 1/1 ace we were promised?

Mize is a middle of the pack guy.  His stuff is average at best, and even out of college had an average fastball with little movement.  He supposedly had amazing off speed stuff, which has yet to show in the majors.  How he went #1 overall is beyond me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This Royals lineup is the anti-Tigers.  They don’t watch mistake pitches go by or foul off good pitches in the zone.  They punish those balls and make pitchers pay for mistakes.   

As opposed to the Tigers who watch the first pitch go by right down the middle because that is mandated by the coaching staff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Tork will have around 25-30 homers again this year. Mize has never been as advertised. That nasty splitter hasn’t materialized and may never show up. Of the 2 he’s been more disappointing for a 1/1 pick due to the missed time and lack of swing and miss pitches. I’m rooting for the kid but he’s not lived up to the billing either. 

That's a pretty bold prediction. He hit 20 after the ASB last season, his best 3 months as a pro. It would be nice if he develops into a consistent threat at the plate. He may have been rushed to the majors, that has stunted many players thru the years. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Mize is a middle of the pack guy.  His stuff is average at best, and even out of college had an average fastball with little movement.  He supposedly had amazing off speed stuff, which has yet to show in the majors.  How he went #1 overall is beyond me.  

That is the risk of taking a college pitcher on the strength of game results achieved with breaking stuff. Major league hitters are not going to swing at most of the breaking ball out pitches a guy gets in college. When Casey got tothe MLB that great split turned into a just a ball that hitters spit on most of the time. And suddenly the mediocrity of the FB is revealed as a problem.

But he does have plenty of arm, and if any coachinig staff can help him get good shape on his pitches it is this one.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This Royals lineup is the anti-Tigers.  They don’t watch mistake pitches go by or foul off good pitches in the zone.  They punish those balls and make pitchers pay for mistakes.   

It's almost like the team that Harris promised us...and KC only won 56 games last year...but the Tigers brass has the plan for the longview bruh, looooonnng vieewwwww...

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

That's a pretty bold prediction. He hit 20 after the ASB last season, his best 3 months as a pro. It would be nice if he develops into a consistent threat at the plate. He may have been rushed to the majors, that has stunted many players thru the years. 

I think the Covid season didn’t help either. Hes got more in him, I just hope he gets to realize that talent here, but our coaching staff has helped most of the lineup regress or underperform so who knows. A change of hitting coaches is necessary IMO.

1 minute ago, tiger2022 said:

Do you think the Tigers trade Skubal by the all star break next season?  I kind of feel like they are going to be throwing up the white flag by the end of this season.  

He's under team control thru 2026. So no, if he does get moved, it will be at the trade deadline in '26. Arms like his don't come around very often. It would have to be a great package to get him before that, IMO.

4 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

I think the Covid season didn’t help either. Hes got more in him, I just hope he gets to realize that talent here, but our coaching staff has helped most of the lineup regress or underperform so who knows. A change of hitting coaches is necessary IMO.

That been apparent all season. The entire team was slumping. I never liked the approach of working the count. If there's a good pitch to hit, hit the damn thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

It's almost like the team that Harris promised us...and KC only won 56 games last year...but the Tigers brass has the plan for the longview bruh, looooonnng vieewwwww...

I don’t think Harris was promising much this offseason. In fact he tended to downplay things. Finish with 83-85 wins, which is still possible, and I’ll be happy. Then get dealing during the offseason.

As for the Royals, low K/9 rates for their pitching and ridiculously high success with RISP for the offense screams regression. But they have banked these 32 wins and have a decent shot at making the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He's under team control thru 2026. So no, if he does get moved, it will be at the trade deadline in '26. Arms like his don't come around very often. It would have to be a great package to get him before that, IMO.

I was only thinking they would get more for him if they traded him with an extra year of control.  I am 95% certain that the guys who were supposed to be the core of the offense are going to be basically what they are right now.  Time to rebuild again.