5/21/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

Avert your eyes:

Riley Greene has a .191/.255/.234 slash line and 43 wRC+ for the last two weeks, and that's literally the worst of any hitter on the team. Just remember: he is still a young player trying to master the league.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Avert your eyes:

Riley Greene has a .191/.255/.234 slash line and 43 wRC+ for the last two weeks, and that's literally the worst of any hitter on the team. Just remember: he is still a young player trying to master the league.

Gotta hit his way out of it. Very common for a young hitter. What matters is how long his slump lasts. The better hitters limit the slump length.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Mize is still what a year or two or three away from being the 1/1 ace we were promised?

He's been pretty good for a guy that didn't pitch in an actual game for two years.   He's not all the way back yet,  I bet that takes the whole season, but the way he's pitched has been very encouraging.   This team gets just two halfway decent hitters next year with Skubal-Olson-Mize and they should be a contender.  

The voice of Lou Brown sayin "We might have a couple of All-Stars" is in my head. 

The only thing in the way of Skubal being THE Cy-Young favourite is Seth Lugo, and based on his career, I think his pixie dust will start to run out soon.     I don't think Skubal has peaked yet.    Just stay healthy, young man.  

Is Olson a current version of Jeff Robinson or Willie Blair with the out-of-nowhere great year?     I think Mize could be as good as Petry in his best years.     What about Jackson Jobe?  It sure doesn't seem like he's on pace to be in the majors before 2026.    Glad it's a hamstring injury and not his arm, but even before that it seemed like they are babying him a bit.   I just feel like they should go ahead and pitch him and if he needs TJ - then go ahead and get it now.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's been pretty good for a guy that didn't pitch in an actual game for two years.   He's not all the way back yet,  I bet that takes the whole season, but the way he's pitched as been very encouraging.   This team gets just two halfway decent hitters next year with Skubal-Olson-Mize and they should be a contender.  

The voice of Lou Brown sayin "We might have a couple of All-Stars" is in my head. 

The only thing in the way of Skubal being THE Cy-Young favourite is Seth Lugo, and based on his career, I think his pixie dust will start to run out soon.     I don't think Skubal has peaked yet.    Just stay healthy, young man.  

Is Olson a current version of Jeff Robinson?     I think Mize could be as good as Petry in his best years.     What about Jackson Jobe?  It sure doesn't seem like he's on pace to be in the majors before 2026.    

I think Jobe is closer than that. If he can get and stay healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a September callup.

Just now, AZTigersfan said:

He just needs patience right?

When he was drafted, some people said he had a ceiling as a #1 SP. There's nothing wrong with his ceiling being a #3 SP. If he is a #3, it means we have a very good staff. The 2024 Tigers weakness is our offense. Waiting on more kids so we can evaluate them. And yes, patience.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

When he was drafted, some people said he had a ceiling as a #1 SP. There's nothing wrong with his ceiling being a #3 SP. If he is a #3, it means we have a very good staff. The 2024 Tigers weakness is our offense. Waiting on more kids so we can evaluate them. And yes, patience.

I agree, just hoping you can extend this patience and logical thinking to other young players.