2024 NCAA Football Thread

Less than 100 days until we kick off a brave new world of college football.  

Welcome to the 12 team playoff era.  5 automatic bids will come from the conference champions of the new Power 4 and the last will come from the highest rated team from the remaining little boy conferences.     The CFP committee will rank and choose the 7 at large teams.   Top 4 will get a 1st round bye with 5-12 playing at the home field of the higher ranked.   The sites of the existing major bowls will host the quarter and semifinals.   The championship game will be played this year in Atlanta on Jan 20.

Welcome to Conference realignment as created by the death of the Pac-12:

ACC adds Cal, Stanford, and SMU to go to 18 teams.

Big 12 adds Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado and says goodbye to Texas and Oklahoma.  They will have 16 teams.

B1G adds USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington to go to 18

SEC adds Texas and Oklahoma to go to 16

Welcome also to unlimited transfers and a still murky NIL and direct athlete payment plan that is still being figured out as they go.   There is also uncertainty over the governing body as a powerless NCAA still technically controls the sport but it appears the CFP will make the most of the important decisions.  I have no idea who enforces recruiting and practice time rules but does it really matter that much when players can transfer as many times as they want and still be immediately eligible.    I do believe that you can only play for one team per season at least before the bowl games but who knows really knows.  

Also a few changes of the game between the lines including the addition of an NFL style two minute warning before both halves and moving to a NFL style moving clock after 1st downs except within two minuets.   There will also be legal helmet communication between coach and dedicated player like in the pros.   Sideline tablets will also finally make their appearance in college football.   

ESPN Early 2024 Rankings

1. Georgia

2. Ohio State

3. Texas

4. Oregon

5. Notre Dame

6. Ole Miss

7. Alabama

8. Mizzou

9. Utah

10. Michigan 

11. Florida State

12. Penn State

13. NC State

14. LSU

15. Tennessee

16. Clemson

17. Kansas State

18. Oklaoma

19. Oklahoma State

20. Arizona

21. Virginia Tech

22. Kansas

23. Iowa

24. Miami

25. USC

Just missed: Wisconsin, WVU, A&M, Louisville, Kentucky, Washington, Boise, Air Force, Liberty 

Posted (edited)

Part of the brave new world means embracing legalized sports gambling.   Who needs polls when you have todays odds to win the natty:

1. Georgia +320

2. OSU +425

3. Texas +750

4. Oregon +850

5. Alabama +1400

6. Ole Miss +1600

7. LSU + 1800

8t. Michigan +2500

8t. FSU +2500

8t. ND + 2500

11. PSU + 2800

12t. Mizzou +3500

12t. Tennessee +3500

14t. A&M +4500

14t. Clemson +4500

16. Miami +5500

17t. Utah +6000

17t. OU +6000

19. USC +6500

20. K-State +7000

21t. Louisville +10000

21t. Auburn +10000

23. Washington +12000

24. Arizona +13000

25. NC State +15000

Edited by Hongbit

College football needs to die and be reborn.

B1G + Miami, Stanford, Cal, and Notre Dame

SEC + Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Va Tech, UNC, and Duke

Disband from the NCAA for football only. Let the other sports figure their own stuff out. Inertia will work itself out so that UCLA Golf and Oregon Tennis aren’t traveling to Happy Valley and Piscataway.

44 teams is a lot for a new pro sports league, but when you have teams like Rutgers, Illinois, and Vanderbilt amongst them, it’ll be okay.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I still don't get why people think fans of college football are going to stay interested when the players are all mercenaries with whatever little connection was still left to the University communities of their teams now completely severed. It's going to be minor league pro-football where the teams just happen to be named for US colleges. I suppose they'll find a way to make it fly but I sure don't have any interest left in it. Or lets put it this way - the base of support of college teams was once students and alums and the university community. If whatever it is you want to call what we have now thrives, it will be because it's embraced by the general (or possibly betting) public - I don't see school sponsored pro sport retaining  all that much traction from inside the schools  - at least most schools - that it grew up with.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I still don't get why people think fans of college football are going to stay interested when the players are all mercenaries with whatever little connection was still left to the University communities of their teams now completely severed. It's going to be minor league pro-football where the teams just happen to be named for US colleges. I suppose they'll find a way to make it fly but I sure don't have any interest left in it. Or lets put it this way - the base of support of college teams was once students and alums and the university community. If whatever it is you want to call what we have now thrives, it will be because it's embraced by the general (or possibly betting) public - I don't see school sponsored pro sport retaining  all that much traction from inside the schools  - at least most schools - that it grew up with.

As long as it's football, people will watch. It won't have the same allure as it did when it was Bo and Woody, or even Tressel and Carr. But that's been the case for a while now.

15 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

B1G + Miami, Stanford, Cal, and Notre Dame

SEC + Florida State, Clemson, Virginia, Va Tech, UNC, and Duke

Disband from the NCAA for football only. Let the other sports figure their own stuff out. Inertia will work itself out so that UCLA Golf and Oregon Tennis aren’t traveling to Happy Valley and Piscataway.

44 teams is a lot for a new pro sports league, but when you have teams like Rutgers, Illinois, and Vanderbilt amongst them, it’ll be okay.

I think the separation of football conferencing from all other conferencing is a matter of when and not it.  But I would guess its not going to be as clean and tidy as bringing the old conferences back to what they were.  In other words, a revamped PAC10/12 might not be a reunion of all of the 10 or 12 teams that we remember.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, casimir said:

I think the separation of football conferencing from all other conferencing is a matter of when and not it.

This seems so obvious but I don't hear any of the people inside the system talking about it, which is depressing.

Edited by gehringer_2

Lots of schools have some type of offensive chant that students have woven into existing songs that their administration hates.  

USC has added “UCLA Sucks” into Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk.  

West Virginia has added “Eat **** Pitt” into Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline.  

But What LSU fans have done with Neck is a whole different level.    

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Huh?

There is a new NCAA Football game coming out for the first time in a decade.  They were asking if the song Neck was going to be included in the game.  LSU fans have added their own chant to the song.  Very NSFW.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

I think the separation of football conferencing from all other conferencing is a matter of when and not it.  But I would guess its not going to be as clean and tidy as bringing the old conferences back to what they were.  In other words, a revamped PAC10/12 might not be a reunion of all of the 10 or 12 teams that we remember.

I agree. There are a lot of bruised egos and hurt feelings that will need time to heal, and it's not going to be snap of the fingers back to the PAC-12.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

This seems so obvious but I don't hear any of the people inside the system talking about it, which is depressing.

I don't think they'll talk about it publicly, because I don't think the NCAA will like it. Anybody who can stand in the way of it happening won't know until it's a done deal, similar to how we didn't hear a peep about the USC/UCLA moves, and then overnight it was a done deal.

They'll want to get the power players (Michigan, OSU, Alabama, USC, Georgia, Notre Dame, etc.) on the same page. Once that happens and the money is aligned in one direction, I expect it happens quickly.

15 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Report: Lincoln Riley, USC Spent Two Years Trying to Get Out of Playing LSU in 2024

In the moments following Oklahoma’s 37-33 loss to Oklahoma State in 2021, then-head coach Lincoln Riley was asked about the rumors that he might be linked to the LSU job.

“I’m not going to be the next head coach at LSU,” he told the media in the postgame press conference. Then, as the story goes, Riley would accept the job at USC just a few hours later, and the rest is history.

As it turns out, Riley was not only not willing to coach at LSU, but he also apparently didn’t want to play them.

According to a report from Saturday Down South’s Matt Hayes, USC tried for nearly two years to avoid playing LSU in Las Vegas to open the 2024 season because Riley didn’t want to the game.

There’s soft, then there is Charmin Ultra Soft, but USC’s head coach is teetering on an entirely new level here. The Trojans were trying as recently as last fall, per Hayes, to get out of the game and were even offering replacement opponents to the Tigers. He then says that FOX Sports even got involved at one point and tried to help dissolve the game, with ESPN having the rights to the game.

“They weren’t getting out of the game,” a source told SDS.

Hayes goes on to say that Riley asked his agent, Trace Armstrong, who also represents Brian Kelly, for help changing Kelly’s mind about the game.

Both the Trojans and the Tigers are set to earn $5 million from the Las Vegas Bowl for playing in the game, but even an incentive of that size isn’t enough for Lincoln Riley to risk having his doors blown off by an SEC school again.

So, the game—which was scheduled just months before Riley was hired—will go on as scheduled on September 1, 2024.

LSU is currently favored by 6.5 points over USC in the neutral-site matchup.

41 minutes ago, casimir said:

Of course they did. This coincides with  the move to the B1G.  Very foolish to play this game when you already have at Notre Dame on your OOS schedule and still have a B1G slate that includes at Michigan.  They also first started this before even knowing what the full conference schedule would look like can you imagine if OSU or Oregon were part of the conference rotation. 

If the OL comes together, USC will surprise people this year.  If not,  it will be 7-5.