Baseball Cards

Tenacious D

I never was huge on collecting autographs so I have close to nil...

However, a huge exception is that I put together a complete 1953 Topps set and, therefore, when they came out with the Archives reprint set for 1953 - I, like countless/ numerous others, chased after every living baseball player that was in that set, for an autograph. I've got all autos that are possible from that set. Although I did not get all of the following autos myself (including the graded "Authentic Auto" by PSA or SGA of Mantle, Mays and Aaron), her are a few of those cards:

Tigers or Tiger-related (Groth and Virgil Trucks had just been traded to the Browns... for nothing good... notice Groth says Browns but is wearing a Tigers cap):

AS09207_1.jpg

AS09209_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A closer look at T-206 HOF'ers, and two cards not yet shown in the previous pic... HOF'ers Fred Clarke, Miller Huggins (Babe Ruth's manager), fiery John McGraw, and Rube Waddell.

The two cards not yet shown are Sheckard, and Larry Doyle from the Giants. Doyle is not a T-206 however, he's an M-114 Sporting Life from 1911. 

Also, I have almost all Piedmont backs, a few Sweet Caporal (Thomas, on the bottom, which is why I showed him again although he's not a HOF'er), and the one rare Old Mill back (Stephens, on the bottom, he's also in the prior pic, not a HOF'er)...

AS09216_1.jpg

AS09217_1.jpg

Some of the things I collect Tigers are odds and ends...

Don't be mad but... I've got a 100 boxes (hyperbole) and I'm not certain which one has my framed Tigers. One of my favorites being a 1935 Wheaties of Mickey Cochrane in which I also placed a 1935 Tigers World Series Ticket in the same frame below Mickey. I framed a 1937 Wheaties Charlie Gehringer that is also quite colorful and beautiful.  I also have framed 1939 Goudey Premiums (large 5 x 7 "cards" but more like paper, with "How To" diagrams and explanations of "how to turn a double play" for example, on the back). I have the full "B" set of these premiums (the "A" set is a smaller version with twice as many "cards"...) including Hank Greenberg. I have Charlie Gehringer too, although it's an "A", he's not in the larger "B" set...

I do however, have scans of a 1904 T-204 Ramly Tusrkish Cigarettes card (all the rage back then), 1961 and 1962 Topps Stamps of Al Kaline, and a 1964 Auravision Record of Al Kaline. This also I have the complete set of...:

Second pic includes a 1960's Detroit Tiger "tattoo" souvenir with original protective sleeve, a 1907 H.M. Taylor postcard of the Detroit Tigers, a 1965 Topps gold embossed Harry Heilmann, a 1940 Play Ball America Harry Heilmann and a 1954 rookie Red Heart Dog Food Harvey Kuenn... (third pic shows the backs of these... PLUS 1962 Post Cereal cards of Norm Cash & Al Kaline... notice Cash's "corked bat" induced .361 BA and 41 HR's...): 

AS09212_1.jpg

AS09213_1.jpg

AS09214_1.jpg

Interestingly, in 1941, because of the war breaking out for the U.S., Play Ball experimented with pure paper cards instead of cardboard (not certain how cardboard was part of the war effort, but, anyways...); very hard to get these paper cards in any decent condition, but I did get a few:

AS09219_1.jpg

AS09220_1.jpg

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Thanks 1

Some other Tigers odds and ends (the stamp in the middle is a George Burke photo stamp of Jimmie Foxx, obviously not a Tiger), surrounded by two unused World Series tickets from 1968, a W-517 of Lu Blue (another Browns in a Detroit cap!!!), 1955 Topps Doubleheader J.W. Porter and Mickey Cochrane from 1936, R-312 Premium series: 

AS09221_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Very cool (Jobe card, too).  Any idea what this Cobb card is valued at?

I actually have no idea.  My dad gave me a set (or near set) of these to figure that out haha.  Planning on getting them appraised and encased or something like that but I'm not entirely sure the best way to go about it. 

5 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I actually have no idea.  My dad gave me a set (or near set) of these to figure that out haha.  Planning on getting them appraised and encased or something like that but I'm not entirely sure the best way to go about it. 

1907 AC Dietsche Postcard, Ty Cobb - Beckett says $150-300, condition pending.

44 minutes ago, davidsb623 said:

1907 AC Dietsche Postcard, Ty Cobb - Beckett says $150-300, condition pending.

Oh nice, thanks for looking that up!  I mostly just want them preserved for my own collection to be honest, but if they somehow were worth a ton (not likely based on this estimate) I would probably move them for my dad.

7 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Show the back of the Cobb card.. I may be able to help out...