Trivia Question: When was the last time a Tiger game ended in a tie?

RedRamage

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

13 innings, only 2 Ps used for each team.  Sure would love to see pitch counts.  Morris faced 40, Honeycutt 36.  They went though the lineup 4 full times.  Completely different game now.

Look at the starting time, 8:00pm.  Was it the Monday night game of the week?  And why was it ended in a tie before midnight?  Was there a curfew?  Why not pick up the remainder of it the next day?

Poor Ricky Peters.  He entered the game as a PR and was picked off and that was his contribution.

• Haha 1

This is what I was thinking of.

The Detroit Tigers’ initial foray into postseason baseball didn’t go well at all. The year was 1907. After capturing the first of the franchise’s 11 American League pennants, the Tigers met the Chicago Cubs in the World Series. Game 1 ended in a 3-3, 13-inning tie. The National League champs then swept the Tigers in the next four games.

14 hours ago, casimir said:

1980.  Give this man his money.

I'm reading a book on Mickey Cochrane and the '35 Tigers and there was a reference to a tie game, which really surprised me so I thought it would be an interesting trivia question to see when the last time the Tigers had a tie.  I was blown away that it was 1980.  I'm was like @Jim Cowan in thinking it must have been way back in the past.

What's even more shocking is that the most recent tie in MLB is less than two decades old: 2005 between Houston and Cincy: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200506300.shtml

13 hours ago, casimir said:

13 innings, only 2 Ps used for each team.  Sure would love to see pitch counts.  Morris faced 40, Honeycutt 36.  They went though the lineup 4 full times.  Completely different game now.

Look at the starting time, 8:00pm.  Was it the Monday night game of the week?  And why was it ended in a tie before midnight?  Was there a curfew?  Why not pick up the remainder of it the next day?

Poor Ricky Peters.  He entered the game as a PR and was picked off and that was his contribution.

AL used to have a 100am curfew, meaning no inning could start after that. NL had no curfew and you’d see the occasional game go until 300am or 400am.

That was when the leagues were actually run as separate entities and there was a delightful difference between them, on a number of counts.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

AL used to have a 100am curfew, meaning no inning could start after that. NL had no curfew and you’d see the occasional game go until 300am or 400am.

That was when the leagues were actually run as separate entities and there was a delightful difference between them, on a number of counts.

The 1980 game started at 8 and lasted 3:45.  I think there was a rain delay which brought it up to 1:00.  

I liked when the leagues were separate and there was no interleague play.  The all-star game and World Series were more fun because it was the only time the leagues would meet.  There were always debates about which league was better - not only in talent but style of play.  In the 70s, the NL was regarded as being more speedy, athletic and tough.  There was no agreement on talent.  Whichever league your favorite team was in was the superior league.  The NL used to win the all-star game all the time..but not the World Series. 

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, casimir said:

Looks from the PBP that the pickoff attempt was an errant throw. Peters wound up on 3B.

Interesting. I graduated high school ten days before this game. I probably listened to it, but I have no memory of it.

• Like 1