3/25 @ 1:07 Tigers @ Blue Jays

Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have been around for the entire Blue Jays history and I don't remember them having a big rivalry with the Tigers.  It was not recognized as a rivalry nationally, but maybe it was considered one locally. 

I think in order for there to be a serious good rivalrvy between two teams, they need to be good at the same time which didn't happen too often with the Tigers and Blue Jays.  As a fan, I remember wanting the Tigers to beat the Orioles (when they were  really good), Yankees and Red Sox.  Other than 1987, I didn't consider the Blue Jays to be a hated opponent.  

I disagree a little Lee. When both teams were in the East and you could still cross the border in Det with no hassle, there were always a fair number of fans that would go to each other's games - especially Detroiters going to Toronto because it was a very popular weekend trip from here in those days, or Southwest Ontario folks who were Jays fans coming to Tiger Stadium. So I think that did build a little more relationship between the teams/fans than average. I wouldn't argue it ever approached Yankees/Red Sox, but there was more going on with the Jays than with most other teams the Tigers played,  and for instance I think more than we had ever had with the White Sox prior to being in their division despite the travel time being about the same.

Agree the rivalry with the O's, esp around the '68 team was definitely intense.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I see in the Free Press this morning that Baddoo hit .214 with zero homers against LH pitchers in 108 at bats last year. That can't be right?

Just checked - BR thinks it is. 523 OPS against LHP, 841 against RHP. He was able to take a walk against a lefty about as well as against a righty though.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I disagree a little Lee. When both teams were in the East and you could still cross the border in Det with no hassle, there were always a fair number of fans that would go to each other's games - especially Detroiters going to Toronto because it was a very popular weekend trip from here in those days, or Southwest Ontario folks who were Jays fans coming to Tiger Stadium. So I think that did build a little more relationship between the teams/fans than average. I wouldn't argue it ever approached Yankees/Red Sox, but there was more going on with the Jays than with most other teams the Tigers played,  and for instance I think more than we had ever had with the White Sox prior to being in their division despite the travel time being about the same.

Agree the rivalry with the O's, esp around the '68 team was definitely intense.

there was a big rivalry with the blue jays in the 80s.  much bigger than the yankees or the red sox.  lee is on the east coast, so i assume all they talk about is the yankees and red sox so it seems more important.

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I disagree a little Lee. When both teams were in the East and you could still cross the border in Det with no hassle, there were always a fair number of fans that would go to each other's games - especially Detroiters going to Toronto because it was a very popular weekend trip from here in those days, or Southwest Ontario folks who were Jays fans coming to Tiger Stadium. So I think that did build a little more relationship between the teams/fans than average.

yeah, this is why I wondered whether it was a big rivalry localy, because it's not something I noticed from afar.    

Just now, buddha said:

there was a big rivalry with the blue jays in the 80s.  much bigger than the yankees or the red sox.  lee is on the east coast, so i assume all they talk about is the yankees and red sox so it seems more important.

I hear about other rivalries too - Cardinals/Cubs and Dodgers/Giants.  I never really heard about a Blue Jays/Tigers rivalry. I don't doubt that it was a rivalry bassd on what people are saying here, but I have a hard time believing it was anything like Yankees/Red Sox.  I bet fans don't go to Redwings or Pistons games and chant "Blue Jays suck!" 

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I hear about other rivalries too - Cardinals/Cubs and Dodgers/Giants.  I never really heard about a Blue Jays/Tigers rivalry. I don't doubt that it was a rivalry bassd on what people are saying here, but I have a hard time believing it was anything like Yankees/Red Sox.  I bet fans don't go to Redwings or Pistons games and chant "Blue Jays suck!" 

i think it was bigger than tigers/yankees or tigers/red sox.  it was not bigger than yankees/red sox given the history of those two teams.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think it was bigger than tigers/yankees or tigers/red sox.  it was not bigger than yankees/red sox given the history of those two teams.

OK, I misunderstood.  I don't really think Detroit had a rivalry with Boston and New York.  I just personally loved seeing them beat those teams.  I have always kind of liked the Blue Jays.  

With so much access to every major league team on tv/radio/internet today, I care less about rivalries now.    

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

They were each other's most interesting opponent especially from 1985 to about 1989, without them actually disliking each other, or the opponent's fans hating them  Except that I would imagine that Jack Morris was insanely jealous of Dave Stieb.

Dude... you've got Morris-Stieb backwards.