Lose for Crews! 2023 MLB Draft

Clinkeroo

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I agree about the hole, I think that has cost them about 10 games off their pre season midpoint of 83 games.

I do think that if they get healthy and catch some breaks, they could be a winning team.  Hell, last years team was within a few games of 500 and this team is much better IMO.

Tork has nice peripherals, I think hes going to breakout soon.  Would not be surprised to see Schoop, Haase, Grossman, Candy, and Baez start lighting it up too...and Meadows hasnt hit a HR yet?  That will change too.

Their pitching is a bigger ?, but I think when the hitting gets going they will start winning more games than not.  I expect that to start happening any day.

Yeah, I am pretty sure they are going to hit a lot better.  Practically everyone is playing below their expectation and I agree with you on Torkelson.  The injuries to Mize and Manning will be their biggest hurdle.  They needed at least one of them to break out big this year and now I am worried about both of them.  Their pitching has been surprisingly good so far, but there has been some luck and I don't think they have enough healthy horses to get through a 162-game season.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Their pitching has been surprisingly good so far, but there has been some luck and I don't think they have enough healthy horses to get through a 162-game season.   

Yeah - Faedo may be ready but it looks like Brieske may need to cook a little longer. Wentz .....even more questionable. But  so far Manning looks on track and they are probably under utilizing Peralta. Mize - who knows? Lots of red flags but then again, IIRC, for all the worry Tanaka never did have to have his UCL replaced.

But I'm less worried about the starting pitching than the possibility that both Fulmer and Soto were fool's gold last season.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Faedo may be ready but it looks like Brieske may need to cook a little longer. Wentz .....even more questionable. But  so far Manning looks on track and they are probably under utilizing Peralta. Mize - who knows? Lots of red flags but then again, IIRC, for all the worry Tanaka never did have to have his UCL replaced.

But I'm less worried about the starting pitching than the possibility that both Fulmer and Soto were fool's gold last season.

It's been interesting hearing how many people have been asking whether it's time to replace Soto with Fulmer when, in terms of production, maybe the better question is whether Lange should get a look at the high leverage/closer role.

Either way, the bullpen is legitimately much better than last year (adding Chafin, Lange/Vest have been an upgrade over Cisnero/Funkhouser, Peralta is actually a reliever, etc.), but Fulmer and Soto being question marks isn't helpful at all. And both are contributors to the high xFIP numbers.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

If Fetters can continue to make the most out of most guys, I think they can match or beat last years pitching.

I am confident that the hitting overall will be at least as good as last year.

They have virtually the same record as last year at this point, with the same guys slumping who turned it around, plus they have added Tork, Meadows, Baez, and hopefully soon Greene.  

Eveb if Baddoo does not rebound, and even if Haase was a momentary flash, and even if Grossman is only OK, and Candy isnt as good as '20 and '21, the four new guy uys should be enough to make up for that.

Given the above assumptions, I thinm its perfectly reasonable to assume that they can finish similar to last year.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:19 PM, gehringer_2 said:

well, this doesn't look like it's going to age well. Mize back to Lakeland, Pineda hit in the hand with a batted ball...

• 2 weeks later...