Lose for Crews! 2023 MLB Draft

Clinkeroo

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we are guaranteed a top pick anymore. Isn't there a lottery now with the worst teams? Avila's strategy has backfired, can't suck and get a #1 pick anymore.

It just means we only need to have the third worst record to have the best odds for the #1 pick!

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't want to give up on the season just yet...

But WTF is wrong with these guys and the 1st 35 games of the season? 

Do they not understand Sparky-speak?

I haven't given up on this being an interesting development season when players get back from injuries.  Everything had to go right this year to contend for a playoff spot and it hasn't.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I haven't given up on this being an interesting development season when players get back from injuries.  Everything had to go right this year to contend for a playoff spot and it hasn't.  

That's actually how I was approaching this year anyways, as a developmental year and not a playoff year.

But we were all hoping (myself included) that they'd make a run, perform better than last year, and not start out as total shit like they did last year.

So that still sucks...

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

this was always a developmental season.  the season is boring so far because tork has been predictably overmatched, greene is hurt, mize and manning are hurt.

skubal is the only real reason to watch now that miggy has 3000/500/600.  when the rookies come back, there will be another reason to watch.

the regulars arent going to be this bad all season.  guys like candy and grossman and baez will get hot.  

baez is gonna have two weeks where he hits 400 and slugs 600.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

this was always a developmental season.  the season is boring so far because tork has been predictably overmatched, greene is hurt, mize and manning are hurt.

skubal is the only real reason to watch now that miggy has 3000/500/600.  when the rookies come back, there will be another reason to watch.

the regulars arent going to be this bad all season.  guys like candy and grossman and baez will get hot.  

baez is gonna have two weeks where he hits 400 and slugs 600.  

Yep all of this. 

4 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Unfortunately, I don't think we are guaranteed a top pick anymore. Isn't there a lottery now with the worst teams? Avila's strategy has backfired, can't suck and get a #1 pick anymore.

Is there an exception if you’re not trying to tank, but are just incredibly inept?

They aren't going to make the playoffs and Tork has really struggled. They should do what the Padres just did to top prospect CJ Abrams and send Tork down. I don't see why we'd waste a year of service time at this point given how much he's struggling. He never dominated AAA or anything either. He should go down for at least a month or two and try to get right in Toledo.

7 hours ago, Scottwood said:

They aren't going to make the playoffs and Tork has really struggled. They should do what the Padres just did to top prospect CJ Abrams and send Tork down. I don't see why we'd waste a year of service time at this point given how much he's struggling. He never dominated AAA or anything either. He should go down for at least a month or two and try to get right in Toledo.

Yup. In general have not been on the 'clean out the FO' bandwagon, but a lot of decisions don't seem to make much sense to me this season both in the FO and the dugout and that is the 1st time in a while I've felt that way.

20 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't want to give up on the season just yet...

But WTF is wrong with these guys and the 1st 35 games of the season? 

Do they not understand Sparky-speak?

This is still a team that could win 83+ games out of 162.

They can still pull that out or better if they get healthy quickly, though mid 70s looks more realistic as a mid point.

I call BS on our being a lottery team.  

1 minute ago, sabretooth said:

This is still a team that could win 83+ games out of 162.

They can still pull that out or better if they get healthy quickly, though mid 70s looks more realistic as a mid point.

I call BS on our being a lottery team.  

I was thinking 83+ wins was possible before the season, but I think they have dug too deep of a hole for that now.  I doubt they are a lottery team, but it will be hard for them to finish above .500.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was thinking 83+ wins was possible before the season, but I think they have dug too deep of a hole for that now.  I doubt they are a lottery team, but it will be hard for them to finish above .500.  

I agree about the hole, I think that has cost them about 10 games off their pre season midpoint of 83 games.

I do think that if they get healthy and catch some breaks, they could be a winning team.  Hell, last years team was within a few games of 500 and this team is much better IMO.

Tork has nice peripherals, I think hes going to breakout soon.  Would not be surprised to see Schoop, Haase, Grossman, Candy, and Baez start lighting it up too...and Meadows hasnt hit a HR yet?  That will change too.

Their pitching is a bigger ?, but I think when the hitting gets going they will start winning more games than not.  I expect that to start happening any day.