5/23 7:40 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

That wasn’t Baez’s fault. There wasn’t a double play to be made on that ball, and he couldn’t have gotten up and thrown out Kepler at the plate.

The Tigers played a strong game today—that was just another dollop of bad luck.

Edited by chasfh

Just now, chasfh said:

That wasn’t Baez’s fault. There wasn’t be a double play and he couldn’t have thrown out Kepler at the plate.

They left too many guys out on the basepaths today.  Familiar theme for the season lol

Just now, chasfh said:

That wasn’t Baez’s fault. There wasn’t be a double play and he couldn’t have thrown out Kepler at the plate.

right.

Figured ERod was going to get beat up, disappointing that they got him off the hook and then fell short anyway.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

right.

Figured ERod was going to get beat up, disappointing that they got him off the hook and then fell short anyway.

El Rod kinda impressed me today... The grand slam was the kinda thing that could have knocked out a young starter and yet he stayed in and pitched reasonably well for the following four innings.

May have earned another start by default lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Since there is no intention of stretching out Peralta, Rodriguez isn't even the #5 starter, more like #4.

Manning on the schedule for tomorrow with the Hens, best case scenario Rodriguez and Wentz each still get one more start, though they do have two off days week after next which should help.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Grossman's May OBP is 260. Willi has a swinging bunt and a walk for his last 18, Clemens is raking in Toledo. Which of these things doesn't go together?

It was always safe to assume that Grossman would regress some from last year, didn't expect him to play this bad. 

Almost feels like him turning around is a prerequisite for more offensive production. Especially with him leading off every game

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

El Rod kinda impressed me today... The grand slam was the kinda thing that could have knocked out a young starter and yet he stayed in and pitched reasonably well for the following four innings.

There was Rodriguez' effort, and also the Tigers scratched back into it.  Sucks to lose in the 9th, but they didn't fold in the 1st.

Just to add to the choice of reliever discussion, I would go with the best available RP.  It doesn't matter if its the closer, the stopper, playing match ups, whatever.  I don't think the Tigers have any RP worthy of designating a closer/stopper right now.  Chafin is probably as good of a choice as any.

I know some folks would argue to hold the closer (which the Tigers may have in name, but he's hardly shut down) until the Tigers (as the road team) get the lead when the game gets into the 9th or later.  I have no problem bringing that best pitcher into a tie game in order to get to the next inning.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, casimir said:

Just to add to the choice of reliever discussion, I would go with the best available RP.  It doesn't matter if its the closer, the stopper, playing match ups, whatever.  I don't think the Tigers have any RP worthy of designating a closer/stopper right now.  Chafin is probably as good of a choice as any.

I know some folks would argue to hold the closer (which the Tigers may have in name, but he's hardly shut down) until the Tigers (as the road team) get the lead when the game gets into the 9th or later.  I have no problem bringing that best pitcher into a tie game in order to get to the next inning.

Yes I think that in past discussions there have been many participants here who think that "bullpen roles" like "closer" are stupid.  It's another case of the "role" having to be filled even though the appropriate player is not on the roster.  It is analogous to Hinch wanting Tony Phillips on the roster and somehow thinking that Harold and Willi and Haase can meet the requirements.  If Mariano is on your team well then yes by all means have a "closer", but if he isn't then don't assume that Gregory Romo can magically attain the same results.

11 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes I think that in past discussions there have been many participants here who think that "bullpen roles" like "closer" are stupid.  It's another case of the "role" having to be filled even though the appropriate player is not on the roster.  It is analogous to Hinch wanting Tony Phillips on the roster and somehow thinking that Harold and Willi and Haase can meet the requirements.  If Mariano is on your team well then yes by all means have a "closer", but if he isn't then don't assume that Gregory Romo can magically attain the same results.

yeah - if there is a single identifiable point of issue with Hinch's managing, it seems to be managing his roster as though he had players he doesn't. Maybe we can blame Willi Castro in the OF purely on AA, but I doubt it.

and Harold Castro's May OPS is under 600.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I agree with you.  It just didn't work out.

That first walk was pretty Soto-like, though. The difference is Chafin’s track record is better and as you say, it didn’t work out this time around.

But I am glad to see the Tigers fighting back from the early deficit. Shades of later 2021.