Off Day Topic: What do YOU hope to see the rest of the way?

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

The LC Deep Dish is not bad at all.  Wouldn't be my first choice but I'd take it over Jet's simply due to cost if all you want is pepperoni on it.  

I saw a photo of Pizza Hut's detroit style and it was an abomination.

Semi-related: I hear some disregard Dominos but their artisan black box pies are pretty darn good.   If only Tom Monohan hadn't destroyed the Detroit Tigers, Dave Brandon hadn't destroyed the Michigan Wolverines and Toys R Us. 

59 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Without diverging too far into the swamp of the pizza wars.  I have not had the LC or Pizza Hut Detroit Style deep dish yet.  Does that come anywhere close to the Buddy's/Buchemis level?   Is it sending the wrong message to the kids? 

I also did not grow up with that as my model for pizza but only started to have it when visiting Michigan in the past 20 years.  My model was Primo's and other round NY style which are not classic NY style now that I compare as a grown up.  

The perfected pizza of my youth was one that had some bite to the sauce and pepperoni.  The sort of thing that a Papa Johns loses with their hate crime of a pizza intended for children and sororities. 

Little Caesar's is the most disgusting pizza I have ever eaten. I wish it was better as I would like to support the Tigers, but I'll never let that vile stuff ever come near my lips again. That being said, I don't think I've ever had Hungry Howie's or Papa John's, so I don't know if they are worse or not. Jets is king in my book and that's what I get 90% of the time. 

9 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Little Caesar's is the most disgusting pizza I have ever eaten. I wish it was better as I would like to support the Tigers, but I'll never let that vile stuff ever come near my lips again. That being said, I don't think I've ever had Hungry Howie's or Papa John's, so I don't know if they are worse or not. Jets is king in my book and that's what I get 90% of the time. 

I enjoy some Hungry Howies if its on offer.   Papa Johns used to advertise without shame "made with sauce fresh out of the can" which clearly also included them adding Subway bread levels of additional glucose and fructose. 

We picked up one of the Pizza Hut pizzas a while back, not bad in a pinch. Especially in an area where the best pizza is the $5 Harris Teeter take and bake. For not much more they'll customize the toppings.

My wife did find a recipe fairly similar to Buddies, I'm not sure where. It's hard to replicate their baking pans which at one time were said to hold bearings for Ford vehicles. 

edt

Now if I could just find a decent Coney Dog

Edited by CMRivdogs

39 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Jets would be overpriced to me if I lived in Michigan and had different options, but it's really the only ballgame in town in terms of authentic Detroit style pizzas where I live down south lol

Edited by mtutiger

Wednesday for us is pizza day because my wife and I go somewhere at 5:15 and we like to leave pizza behind for the kids.  Been that way for 7 years.  I used to get Hungry Howie's because their online system was convenient as I could order from work and then pick it up on the way home.   When the pandemic hit and I was working from home we started supporting a local pizza place as I didn't need that convenience anymore.   Not long ago circumstances meant I had to prepay and have my MIL pick it up so we went back to Hungry Howie's.... man it was bad.    It wasn't that much cheaper either so we'll continue to support Joe & Reno's.   

the local place or the national chain are going to put out some bad pies from time to time.  if the guy cooking it is a jerk and has been baking himself and doesn't give a damn.  Nothing is more crushingly disappointing from a food perspective than poor pie.   

It's not considered Detroit-style deep dish, but Pequod's in Chicago is probably the closest I have ever seen from anyone not claiming to make Detroit-style deep dish. It's round, the sauce is different, but otherwise, it's pretty darn close.

https://media.cntraveler.com/photos/5a8ef470873a2240b39ffff8/16:9/w_2560%2Cc_limit/Pequods_2018_1.-Pequod's.jpg