Off Day Topic: What do YOU hope to see the rest of the way?

Hey there.   Just thinking about things on a rare off-day We still have 108 games left.  

We find ourselves 10 games out at 21-33 after reality slapped us in the face in The Bronx this weekend.   

If ever a team needed a week with a couple of days off...............

Our division is not exactly strong.    

At their current pace the Twins would win the division with 92 games, but I don't think they'll keep that up. 

If the White Sox get healthy they could contend, but if they don't turn things around soon Tony LaRussa might not survive the season.   

I think the winner of the Central division will win about 88 or 89 games this year, and the Wild Card teams will have more wins than that.  

Our fellas would have to go  67-41, a .620 clip.    I don't think that's even close to possible.

So what is the rest of this season for?   Purely talent evaluation?   

AGAIN?   

What do we hope to learn the rest of the way?    Will this team ever hit? 

What is your level of frustration right now, June 6th?  

For me - I'm furious.   Yes, the injuries have been hard to believe this year, but it's been mostly to the pitching staff, and for the most part, the pitching staff has weathered this extremely well.   It's that lineup.    Maybe Rob Manfred is f-ing with the baseball and offense and power are down overall, but it doesn't excuse this team's lack of offense.    

What do you think realistically happens the rest of the way? 

You don't change GMs in mid-season, but I do worry about another lackluster draft and I really don't want him making anymore trades and we are all under the impression that Chris Illitch is not in it to win it so as long as costs are kept in check, Al will be fine.   

What do you think is the best case scenario for 2022? 

77 wins again?   

I'm gonna repeat something I said in another thread last week, which is that, excepting New York (series now over) and Toronto, the schedule is pretty manageable going into the All Star Break. Series against Pittsburgh, Texas, Boston, Arizona and SF, along with a boatload of games against the Royals, Guardians and White Sox (who have underperformed thus far). Outside of SF (and maybe Chicago, depending on whether they get their act together), these are a more manageable run of games than they have been able to have  in a stretch all season. And yes, over the next couple of weeks, as insufficient as the reinforcements may ultimately be, we will be getting Meadows, ERod, Grossman, etc. back, and maybe will see Riley Greene enter the fold.

I understand that people aren't gonna want to hear anything positive after getting kicked in the gonads by the 39-15 Yankees for the past three games, but they have played a brutal schedule to start the season.... it would have been brutal had they been healthy, but it is especially so with all of the injuries.

So let's see what they can do going forward to the break.... they are 11 games under right now and 10 games back, and even with the brutal series against the Yankees, they still have played over .500 (12-10) since the Baltimore series. Try to claw back some games and get closer to .500 by the AS Break. I'm not even saying that it's likely to happen, but there still is time at least in theory. If they manage that and some of their talent manages to play up to career standards (ie. Baez, Schoop, Grossman) or they get improvements from their younger guys (Tork), .500 on the season is within reach.

Regarding the rest of the division, I wonder whether 88-89 is too high.... I don't believe much in the Twins and think the White Sox will ultimately prevail. But that number could end up being closer to 84 -85.

Edited by mtutiger

I want the Tigers to get healthy and win as many games as they can.  It may be a development year, but they have enough talent and potential talent in a weak division to at least get up to .500.  Realistically, I projected them as .500 team going into the season and I still believe they can do that.  They need to get healthy though.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Thanks 1

I would feel good about the season if guys were gonna have in the future finish out the year strong. Not just young guys like Tork,Greene, Tarik etc. but guys like Meadows and Baez as well. If they get on track and we win at a decent enough clip I will feel alot better going into next season.

• Like 1

To win games and be entertaining. Find out more about who may be part of the team going forward. Find out more about a few MiLB players that may be close (not all have to be 20 yrs old, some could be AAAA types even).

To further understand and accept that depth is more important than ever before in the modern game and that injuries are always a larger part now for every team (hopefully not at the current rate here in Detroit).

(note: On that note, and I may just start a thread on this at a later date: Perhaps gone are the days, from here on end, of the following: SP winning 225 games during a career. Hitters with 500 HRs and 3000 hits. Teams with lineups featuring 7 starting players that start 150 games a year and 3 SPs throwing 200 innings during the same year, and more.)

To maybe acquire a 'potential' MLB ready starting player type from some of the RP depth at the trade deadline. Teams are always looking, and pay big, for RP at that time.

Who knows, I still feel if this teams gets healthier, and plays to their capabilities - there still may be more exciting baseball in Motown 'this' season!

Good day all 🙂

• Like 1

My wish is the same as always and that is to compete. Put the best defensive team available that day on the field and try to win. It's ok to lose but no reason to be embarrassed with keystone cops defense. We don't hit enough to give away bases or runs. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Cannabis Appreciation Day added to the  promotional calendar at Comerica.   

It would have to be a game with a 4:20 start time and Nachos would be half priced.  

Which player is going to refuse to wear the uniform?  Or will there be any unifotrm at all?  

I hope the young outfielders can establish themselves because the speed and power they have is pretty exciting when they are getting on base. Meadows, Green, Baddoo, Cameron and Hill have a lot of potential. I see Meadows as the future DH if the kids can prove they belong.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Cannabis Appreciation Day added to the  promotional calendar at Comerica.   

It would have to be a game with a 4:20 start time and Nachos would be half priced.  

Imagine the uniforms for that special occasion. 

And the Nachos......................Chris Illitch is trying to MAKE money, not lose it.  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Imagine the uniforms for that special occasion. 

And the Nachos......................Chris Illitch is trying to MAKE money, not lose it.  

It had to be Nachos because even stoners think Little Caesar’s is crap pizza.  

Without diverging too far into the swamp of the pizza wars.  I have not had the LC or Pizza Hut Detroit Style deep dish yet.  Does that come anywhere close to the Buddy's/Buchemis level?   Is it sending the wrong message to the kids? 

I also did not grow up with that as my model for pizza but only started to have it when visiting Michigan in the past 20 years.  My model was Primo's and other round NY style which are not classic NY style now that I compare as a grown up.  

The perfected pizza of my youth was one that had some bite to the sauce and pepperoni.  The sort of thing that a Papa Johns loses with their hate crime of a pizza intended for children and sororities.