Victor Reyes

The Tigers are 5-3 in the 8 games Reyes has started this season. I really hope they will continue to give him playing time. But cynically I expect the fools will trade him to make room for Junior, once his rehab is concluded.

Prediction Reyes plus one other for an "innings eater" type  back of the rotation starter

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Prediction: Reyes won't be traded and will be played closely according to the level of play he exhibits 

When Greene comes up, they will have some congestion on the 40 man. I think a trade will be  part of the solution. I think Reyes is most likely to be seen as expendable.

Well, it looks to me more like his trips to the Il have been mostly a case of creative roster manipulation. And consequently I suspect his recent call-up has more to do with Mize's TJ diagnosis, team trying to culture a little trade bait. 

I could be wrong, have been wrong before. But this is where my gut is on Reyes.

I like Reyes. and think he is under appreciated on this team, so in a strange way, if a trade gets him to a team where he gets more playing time, I'll be happy for him.  With Hill/Baddoo/Meadows/ Greene/Castro in the outfield...I don't think Reyes will get the playing time he deserves in the D

I really don't think roster congestion is a big concern when it involves a bunch of players that can't hit.  There really isn't any teams out there that are going to be beating down the door for a Detroit Tiger who can't crack this starting lineup.  Not sure why the Tigers would trade any of their bullpen arms for simply an innings eater in this season.

Well, I refer back to my earlier suggestion that Reyes was brought up to "showcase".,  Obviously if he fails, then there will be little interest (I assumed that would be a given, not requiring elaboration.)

And the type of innings eater I have in mind would offer more endurance than the arms we have in the pen, routinely capable of logging 5+ innings per outing.

Personally I'd prefer they deal Grossman, but it's just my cynicism assuming that since I like Reyes, they don't

I think to make the "innings eater" concept fly, we'd have to be offering to take on a contract someone else would like to shed. We certainly have headroom in our payroll to do such a thing.  And might even get us a decent arm to tide us over until Mize comes back, in the bargain

There was also a news item, I don't recall if it was Beck, or who....but they stated that when Reyes went on the IL the first time, he didn't think the injury was significant enough to warrant the IL. But the team insisted otherwise. Then when the next IL stint happened right on the heels of his return. Hinch stated the second injury was a "mirror image" of the first.   So, I'm suspecting it may have literally been a "Mirror image"...down to the point of being more a case of creative roster manipulation, than actual debilitating injury. Seems he's the odd man out?

Then we get the bad news about Mize. and suddenly Reyes is back in the lineup the following day.

have you ever or do you know anyone who has 'strained' a quad? I have no idea what that injury even is. I've 'burned' my quads running too far too soon after a winter layoff, but they just hurt, it was never debilitating like straining a hamstring.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

There was also a news item, I don't recall if it was Beck, or who....but they stated that when Reyes went on the IL the first time, he didn't think the injury was significant enough to warrant the IL. But the team insisted otherwise. Then when the next IL stint happened right on the heels of his return. Hinch stated the second injury was a "mirror image" of the first.   So, I'm suspecting it may have literally been a "Mirror image"...down to the point of being more a case of creative roster manipulation, than actual debilitating injury. Seems he's the odd man out?

Then we get the bad news about Mize. and suddenly Reyes is back in the lineup the following day.

Maybe Reyes wanted a paid vacation.  

Wouldn't be the first time teams have used the IL to stash a player, but it seems as if any of these guys were really that impressive they would just play them.  All these guys are fringe MLB players at best.  If the Tigers lose any of these outfielders that wouldn't make any other team's roster, is it that big of a deal?  It's not like the Tigers wouldn't be able to find other guys that can rack up a .550-.600 OPS or whatever they do.  

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Lynn Henning?  

Could be.....I really don't know for sure. At the time I saw it, didn't seem worth  writing down as far as the source, etc.  Only took on an air of significance when AJ later made the "mirror image" comment, inspiring me to think "no doubt" with sarcastic flair.

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybe Reyes wanted a paid vacation.  

I'll just have to wait for the other shoe to fall, I guess. I just feel the organization has a "red headed stepchild" attitude for him...to the extent that if he does well the next few weeks, they'll sell-high. 

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

have you ever or do you know anyone who has 'strained' a quad? I have no idea what that injury even is. I've 'burned' my quads running too far too soon after a winter layoff, but they just hurt, it was never debilitating like straining a hamstring.

I similarly wonder where they claim a player is "experiencing tightness" and they end up on the IL over that.  I've experienced tightness quite a bit, but usually just stretch it out.  But then I'm not a finely tuned physical specimen, either. 😕

Part of the problem, the way I see it, we really don't have any standout talent where I want to say "He is our left fielder" and "He is our right fielder". What we've got is a slew of guys with potential, all needing to be proven. And I think that's the dilemma Hinch and company are faced with too, they don't want to risk allowing the potential diamond in the rough to slip through their fingers. So they play roster games, hoping the choice will become clearer, with time.

Perhaps thinning out the herd is the only right way to go? Giving fewer candidates more playing time to establish themselves?

Edited by Useful Idiot

43 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Wouldn't be the first time teams have used the IL to stash a player, 

I agree. But from my observation it appears to be a growing trend. There has always been a value in being able to creatively pad the roster. And I'm thinking the new, expanded  I.L. format is inspiring additional creativity.

Edited by Useful Idiot

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

You might be on to something here.  The Tigers have had a lot of injuries this year.  They can't all be real.  The pitching staff has an epidemic of fake injuries.  

Whatever dude. Would you like to shout "GET OFF MY LAWN!"  while you are at it?:classic_biggrin: